• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London King's Cross to Headingley Delay Repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
Hi all - on Saturday I was travelling from London King's Cross to Headingley. Booked departure from London 1703hrs, and arrival in Headingley at 1937hrs.

The LNER service was delayed by 12 minutes, giving me less than two minutes to make my connection (which was meant to be 14 minutes). Due to this, I missed it and got the next train an hour later. As it happens, the connecting train was also 3 minutes late departing, but I'd still have struggled to make it. The minimum connection time at Leeds is 10 minutes.

I submitted these details clearly to LNER for delay repay, but they've emailed back to say that as the delay was only 12 minutes, they didn't have to pay out. I've asked them to take another look at it, but am I in the right?

London - Leeds train: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y73939/2018/07/14
Booked Leeds - Headingley train: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y73939/2018/07/14
Train I actually caught from Leeds - Headingley: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y21531/2018/07/14

Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Hi all - on Saturday I was travelling from London King's Cross to Headingley. Booked departure from London 1703hrs, and arrival in Headingley at 1937hrs.

The LNER service was delayed by 12 minutes, giving me less than two minutes to make my connection (which was meant to be 14 minutes). Due to this, I missed it and got the next train an hour later. As it happens, the connecting train was also 3 minutes late departing, but I'd still have struggled to make it. The minimum connection time at Leeds is 10 minutes.

I submitted these details clearly to LNER for delay repay, but they've emailed back to say that as the delay was only 12 minutes, they didn't have to pay out. I've asked them to take another look at it, but am I in the right?

London - Leeds train: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y73939/2018/07/14
Booked Leeds - Headingley train: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y73939/2018/07/14
Train I actually caught from Leeds - Headingley: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y21531/2018/07/14

Thanks in advance
The way you have phrased your post to me implies that you did not actually incur an hour's delay, and that you 'bailed' at Leeds or elsewhere. Is this the case or am I reading something there that isn't there?

Making fraudulent claims is a very bad idea - but if yours is genuine then I would agree that 12 minutes is the wrong delay and they cannot reject the claim on that basis. Leeds is not a small station and if you were on the 'wrong' end of the platform when you arrived, then had to trek to the overnidge and go to your train, I see it as quite plausible that you wouldn't have made a theoretical 2-minute connection, however I would have thought you would have made a 5-minute connection unless, for example, you had to use the lifts. Or did you sort of give up when you saw you only had 2 minutes?
 

PG

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
3,470
Location
at the end of the high and low roads
IMO yes you're correct - your journey was from King's Cross to Headingley and due to a delay whilst travelling on a LNER service you arrived over 60 minutes late at your destination.

However I wish you luck as this is LNER and they don't seem to believe that the NRCoT apply to any delay repay claim submitted to them... and yes I've recently had a similar claim brushed aside by LNER <D
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,008
Location
here to eternity

That's the 17.03 Kings Cross - Leeds you have linked to. I assume you meant to link to this train:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y21396/2018/07/14

I submitted these details clearly to LNER for delay repay, but they've emailed back to say that as the delay was only 12 minutes,

Looks like they are only considering the delay to the 17.03?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
The way you have phrased your post to me implies that you did not actually incur an hour's delay, and that you 'bailed' at Leeds or elsewhere. Is this the case or am I reading something there that isn't there?

Making fraudulent claims is a very bad idea - but if yours is genuine then I would agree that 12 minutes is the wrong delay and they cannot reject the claim on that basis. Leeds is not a small station and if you were on the 'wrong' end of the platform when you arrived, then had to trek to the overnidge and go to your train, I see it as quite plausible that you wouldn't have made a theoretical 2-minute connection, however I would have thought you would have made a 5-minute connection unless, for example, you had to use the lifts. Or did you sort of give up when you saw you only had 2 minutes?
No, I travelled on the whole way. I checked the Northern app while the train was waiting outside of Leeds which said the next train was on time. I was going to make a run for it, but by the time the couple in front by the doors (+ suitcases) got off I didn't think I'd make it. It didn't help the London train came in on platform 11, giving a bit of a trek to platform 4.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
That's the 17.03 Kings Cross - Leeds you have linked to. I assume you meant to link to this train:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y21396/2018/07/14



Looks like they are only considering the delay to the 17.03?
Yes, you're right about the link!

I think you're right, though I'm never entirely sure how connection times are actually meant to impact delay repay. If by the rules I should have made in it 5 minutes then I can't really complain.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Yes, you're right about the link!

I think you're right, though I'm never entirely sure how connection times are actually meant to impact delay repay. If by the rules I should have made in it 5 minutes then I can't really complain.
Did you actually try, or did you never intend to go to Headingley?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Go back to them and state your full journey was Kings Cross to Headingley and state the overall delay.

If they still refuse to pay up, please contact me and I'll advise on who you can escalate the matter to.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
I think you're right, though I'm never entirely sure how connection times are actually meant to impact delay repay. If by the rules I should have made in it 5 minutes then I can't really complain.
No that is not what the rules say.

If you did travel to Headingley and arrived 1 hour late you are entitled to Delay Repay for your journey to Headingley.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
Due to this, I missed it and got the next train an hour later.

The way you have phrased your post to me implies that you did not actually incur an hour's delay, and that you 'bailed' at Leeds or elsewhere. Is this the case or am I reading something there that isn't there?

No, I travelled on the whole way.

Did you actually try, or did you never intend to go to Headingley?
He’s said twice that he actually went to Headingley (actually three times but I deleted one accidentally and it’s a right faff editing quotes on my phone)
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,317
Location
Reading
Were you using a through ticket, London to Headingley or combining more than one tiicket? What ticket type(s) - advance or walk-up?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
Did you actually try, or did you never intend to go to Headingley?
I held a ticket to Headingley, fully intended to go to Headingley (my car was parked at the station) and I actually boarded the 2030hrs Leeds - Headingley service, arriving a total of 66 minutes late :)
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
Were you using a through ticket, London to Headingly or combining more than one tiicket? What ticket type(s) - advance or walk-up?
A simple, through ticket Advance Single (with railcard) - cost £19.15.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
I held a ticket to Headingley, fully intended to go to Headingley (my car was parked at the station) and I actually boarded the 2030hrs Leeds - Headingley service, arriving a total of 66 minutes late :)
Sorry, I didn't see your earlier message when I asked the second time! In this case you are perfectly entitled to compensation and there is no reason for LNER to reject your claim at all. Ask them to look at it again, and if they refuse again to then come back to us and we can advise further!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
I think you're right, though I'm never entirely sure how connection times are actually meant to impact delay repay. If by the rules I should have made in it 5 minutes then I can't really complain.
The minimum connection time at Leeds is 10min. You allowed that, meaning your claim is valid in the first place.
It also means that the TOC cannot calculate delay repay based on making a sub-10 minute connection. Regulars know that tighter connections are often doable, but that's another matter.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I suspect this is simply a cock up by LNER rather than a conspiracy.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
Just as a follow up - after a polite reply to their previous email, LNER have now agreed that I was delayed over an hour, and have paid out as such.

Thanks for the advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top