• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge Closure - Croydon to Elephant & Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
111
I have cause to travel from Croydon to Elephant & Castle [EPH] once per week, needing to arrive at EPH for around 18.00.

Can someone advise why the 17.17 departure from East Croydon is the only one all day which doesn't stop at Elephant?
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u..._260814_to_290814_northbound_no_headcodes.pdf

I cannot catch the West Croydon 17.25 London Bridge service (truncated at South Bermondsey this week) and change at Streatham for the service from Sutton as I miss the connection by 2 minutes.

While London Bridge is closed it would appear my only chance to leave work not too early, is the 17.28 to Balham and Northern Line. Something which I read all operators are actively trying to discourage. Not much choice though from my point of view.

My question is, is this week's timetable likely to be the timetable from December onwards. If so, the 17.17 non-stopping at Elephant is very irritating! <(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,314
I suspect it is a 12 car train which is too long for the platforms at Elephant & Castle.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,314
There are - the 0756, 0832 and 0844 from Blackfriars all run fast to East Croydon.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
This has caught more than a few people out, I can tell you. Luckily, the next train for Northbound passengers in the evening has never really been too far behind. It's a pity there's (supposedly) no feasible way to implement SDO for this train, so that it can call.
 

W230

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
1,217
I have cause to travel from Croydon to Elephant & Castle [EPH] once per week, needing to arrive at EPH for around 18.00.

Can someone advise why the 17.17 departure from East Croydon is the only one all day which doesn't stop at Elephant?
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u..._260814_to_290814_northbound_no_headcodes.pdf
It might be that this service hasn't been altered by the blockade. A lot of services in the peak go via Tulse Hill/Crystal Palace anyway with some stopping at Elephant but some not. I'm wondering if this is usually one that doesn't so they've just decided there is no need to change it?

The fact it is 12 car is irrelevant. The 377s will only open the front 8 doors at Elephant even if stopping in a 12 car (I know this because I've done it - wasn't sure whether I could trust it but it worked as it should!)
 
Last edited:
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
111
It might be that this service hasn't been altered by the blockade. A lot of services in the peak go via Tulse Hill/Crystal Palace anyway with some stopping at Elephant but some not. I'm wondering if this is usually one that doesn't so they've just decided there is no need to change it?

The fact it is 12 car is irrelevant. The 377s will only open the front 8 doors at Elephant even if stopping in a 12 car (I know this because I've done it - wasn't sure whether I could trust it but it worked as it should!)

I have to say that it simply struck me as a control issue at first for whatever reason not wanting evening peak trains to fill up at E&C rather than an SDO issue.

Whatever the reason it's bl**dy annoying!
 

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
Could be a pathing issue up ahead means it hasn't got the time to stop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top