• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos that never hauled a passenger train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,912
Location
Newport
15s did quite a lot their time, especially in their early days; I'd guesstimate well over half of them did

16s - as posted already - claim to fame was the ER to SR via ELL excursions - there are something like 6 different D8400 recorded on them
Richard Hardy mentioned how slow (but reliable!) the '800s' were on the SR excursions but still considered them for the SO Liv St to Clactons, only to find them inadequate:

'Inspector Dick Elmer and I struck off from Stratford with eight coaches, reached about 50 mph before Romford but faded away to 21 mph up the 1 in 84 to Ingrave summit. So that was that.'
 

The Crab

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2011
Messages
271
For a moment there I thought you were talking about class 9F steam locos....then I realised that you were talking about electric locos 92 021, 92 045 and 92 046. ;)

Someone else who was obviously under the same misapprehension as myself! ;)

While I have no evidence either way, I wouldn't be surprised if class 14s - either singly or in pairs - may have occasionally rescued failed passenger trains, either loco-hauled or DMU.
My comment was entirely tongue in cheek! But did an 9F in "Crosti mode" ever haul a passenger train?
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
For a moment there I thought you were talking about class 9F steam locos....then I realised that you were talking about electric locos 92 021, 92 045 and 92 046. ;)
92046 has actually hauled a passenger train - it rescued a sleeper many years ago. One basher managed to 'get it in the book'. Sadly he missed 040 though so the maximum number of 92s anyone has had for haulage is 43.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top