• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive transmissions? A mechanical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis12

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2015
Messages
5
Hello all.

I'm currently trying to educate myself on various engineering aspects of the railway, particularly traction / rolling stock.

Could anyone mechanically minded please explain the difference between hydraulic and mechanical transmissions in relation to diesel locomotives?

As far as I'm aware they both require a fluid coupling / torque converter. But I'm unsure of the differences.

Thanks in advance :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top