• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco2 and Annual Gold Card discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasher11

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
64
Yesterday, I wanted to book Birmingham New Street to London Euston using a West Midlands Railway service. Using Loco2, it offered me an Annual Gold Card discount on an Advance ticket, which I don't think is correct? I was using Loco2 purely for convenience as I find the app very easy when on my mobile. Times although not really relevant were for 7th July, 14:33 departure from BHM.
Would I have had issues if I had purchased the ticket?
Apologies if Railcard discount on Advance fares has been covered before, but I couldn't find it...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Yesterday, I wanted to book Birmingham New Street to London Euston using a West Midlands Railway service. Using Loco2, it offered me an Annual Gold Card discount on an Advance ticket, which I don't think is correct? I was using Loco2 purely for convenience as I find the app very easy when on my mobile. Times although not really relevant were for 7th July, 14:33 departure from BHM.
Would I have had issues if I had purchased the ticket?
Apologies if Railcard discount on Advance fares has been covered before, but I couldn't find it...
You are correct that Annual Gold Card discounts (and Network Railcards) cannot normally be used on Advances.

When you search for ticket, you tell a booking engine what travel you want to undertake and what passengers and Railcards there are. It is then the job of the booking engine to determine what the correct fare to charge is. If you travel in line with the itinerary you have been provided you are absolutely in the right, as the itinerary is inherent to the contract - even if discounts have been applied that you would not normally be eligible for.

It is of course possible that some guards might pick up on the 'erroneous' discount and ask you to pay an additional fare. You might wish to comply to avoid any confrontation but you would be perfectly lawful in refusing to do so, as you have a contract for travel and you cannot later be charged additional sums to make use of the rights you have already been given!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top