• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hulled service through Abergele and Pensarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
I'll be staying in Abergele and Pensarn until Tuesday of next week. What times would I need to be at the station to see the loco hulled Holyhead to Cardiff and Cardiff to Holyhead services passing?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshguy1048

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2023
Messages
2,378
Location
North Wales
@gray1404

Hello

These are the times for the loco hauled services - they only run Monday to Friday



Dave
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
While you're in Abergele there is also a rail tour to Llandudno Junction on Saturday 6th:


Returns back through Abergele just before 5pm.

There is also a rail tour to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the 10th, but you'll just miss that.

While some might debate whether they're locomotives, the Network Rail "New Measurement Train" is on its way from Derby to Holyhead and back


Should be at Abergele around 1.45pm and returning just before 5pm.

There may be a freight rain to pick up slate waste from Llandudno Junction overnight tonight. I say may as it looks to me that it's running but you never know!


If it runs the loaded train will be through Abergele nice and early around 6.55am!

If you are planning to return to the area later in the year there will be mostly daily rail head treatment train passing through too
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
Thank you!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I notice the loco tends to be the Holyhead end of the train. So I've avoided seeing it early morning as the loco will likely be at the back. Hopefully the loco is at the front when I try this week in the evening and still enough daylight. I note the train changes direction at Chester.
 
Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
@gray1404 I find it all a bit random really. Tonight the loco will be on the Chester end. At least that will work for you tomorrow morning
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
@gray1404 I find it all a bit random really. Tonight the loco will be on the Chester end. At least that will work for you tomorrow morning
Will it still be on the Chester this evening (at the back) once it changes direction for the last leg Chester to Holyhead this evening though?

If so, it would mean it's on the front for the Holyhead to Chester leg tomorrow morning. More chance of daylight for footage at 6.30am compared to 21:00 in the evening.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
That's exactly what I said! ;)

It is 67025 and will be hauling the train loco first from Cardiff to Chester, then pushing to Holyhead. So tomorrow it will be on the front as far as Chester
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,621
Location
Llanharan
I notice the loco tends to be the Holyhead end of the train. So I've avoided seeing it early morning as the loco will likely be at the back. Hopefully the loco is at the front when I try this week in the evening and still enough daylight. I note the train changes direction at Chester.
The MK4 sets have completely random variation when it comes to the orientation so it'll never be a consistant result, unfortunately!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top