• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled around Havant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
High cloud greets today's welded rail empties from Norwood Junction to Eastleigh East Yard. It paused for a few minutes beside Havant's LBSCR-era former signal box, frustrating the motorists waiting at Fairfield Road level crossing...
 

Attachments

  • 66720_66310_Havant.JPG
    66720_66310_Havant.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 66310_66720_Havant.JPG
    66310_66720_Havant.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
A streetcar named desire.

A family holiday in Budapest this week; and a really pleasant surprise to see the vitality, the cleanliness and the amenities offered in this city: a big step up since I came here in 1997.

One other pleasant surprise: the trams I saw in 1997 are still going strong. The older (1970) CSMG-1 trams have been fully refurbished since my last visit; but unrefurbished variants are still working:
- The sole operational Ganz CSMG-3 (1977) has crossed the River Danube and enters Pest, passing the beautiful Central Market Hall.
- Three of the earlier (1972, 1975) CSMG-2 variant skirt round the Parliament building.
By way of contrast - one of Rome's 1949-vintage ATAC fleet, at Republica, back in November 2023 whilst visitng with my wife.

Lastly... a common sight in my 1990s trips to Balkan nations and Russia: the Trabant, quintessential car of the Soviet era. They are like hens' teeth now. By chance, one appears on the riverbank, near Liberty Bridge.
 

Attachments

  • Ganz CSMG-3 1461 Central Market Hall.jpg
    Ganz CSMG-3 1461 Central Market Hall.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Ganz CSMG-2 1451.JPG
    Ganz CSMG-2 1451.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • Ganz CSMG-2 1427 Parliament.jpg
    Ganz CSMG-2 1427 Parliament.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • Ganz CSMG-2 1419 Parliament.jpg
    Ganz CSMG-2 1419 Parliament.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Trabant Danube.jpg
    Trabant Danube.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ATAC 7087 Republica.jpg
    ATAC 7087 Republica.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Coastal erosion.

At the end of 2024, the West Coastway had the lure of three aggregates flows: to Chichester / to Crawley / a resumption (after a long gap) of a flow to Ardingly near Haywards Heath.

The past seven months have seen just 3 Chichester turns, a mere single working to Ardingly, also Crawley's path reduced from every weekday to "as required". Eroded West Coastway freight services, indeed.
Tuesday's Crawley (Terminal 2) working disturbs the coastal humidity, as it slows to pass through Havant.
 

Attachments

  • 59005_Havant.JPG
    59005_Havant.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2023
Messages
735
Location
Folkestone
A streetcar named desire.

A family holiday in Budapest this week; and a really pleasant surprise to see the vitality, the cleanliness and the amenities offered in this city: a big step up since I came here in 1997.

One other pleasant surprise: the trams I saw in 1997 are still going strong. The older (1970) CSMG-1 trams have been fully refurbished since my last visit; but unrefurbished variants are still working:
- The sole operational Ganz CSMG-3 (1977) has crossed the River Danube and enters Pest, passing the beautiful Central Market Hall.
- Three of the earlier (1972, 1975) CSMG-2 variant skirt round the Parliament building.
By way of contrast - one of Rome's 1949-vintage ATAC fleet, at Republica, back in November 2023 whilst visitng with my wife.

Lastly... a common sight in my 1990s trips to Balkan nations and Russia: the Trabant, quintessential car of the Soviet era. They are like hens' teeth now. By chance, one appears on the riverbank, near Liberty Bridge.
Super pictures! I've been to Budapest a few times and this brings back memories. Never been to Rome, but that near 75 year old tram looks fabulous, worth visiting just to ride on this. Is there still a fleet of these still in operation or is this a heritage working? I can also see you have been busy in Photoshop editing out the thick cloud of exhaust that trails every Trabant!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Super pictures! I've been to Budapest a few times and this brings back memories. Never been to Rome, but that near 75 year old tram looks fabulous, worth visiting just to ride on this. Is there still a fleet of these still in operation or is this a heritage working? I can also see you have been busy in Photoshop editing out the thick cloud of exhaust that trails every Trabant!
I was fortunate to explore several former Soviet ruled nations during the 1990s. Trabant, Volga and Wartburg vehicles were ten a penny back in those days!

I wish I'd taken the digi compact last week, rather than using my phone's camera, though.
The Rome trams are still providing a daily service on some of the city routes.
 
Last edited:

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
I have absolutely no idea how I have managed to miss this thread until now. As just an occasional visitor to the site, I suppose it mustn't have been in the recent posts whenever I looked in. So, I've just spent the last 90 minutes looking through all these, and it's time I can scarcely afford - so that is testament to the interest!
First of all, before I start on the photos, I have to say I was so sorry to read about the loss of your lovely dog, and the prognosis on your other lovely dog. He'll have a wonderful life with you, just as your previous dog did. I know what losing a loyal family dog you've had for years feels like, so you have my sincere condolences.
OK, now, 'around Havant'.....this is just about as far away from me as anywhere in Britain could be, so I was interested to see the range of traction. I also had to look at a rarely scanned bit of my rail atlas to identify where the hell all these places are and where the trains were going to and from! Excuse my ignorance D....I am rather mortified at my ignorance of parts of the network 550 miles away!
I have to say I'm no fan of American 2 stroke GM diesels, in whatever colours their FOC choose to paint them. They're not good looking engines in my view, although I grudgingly appreciate their reliability and versatility. 70s are also weird looking things, and I completely get Cowley's excellent comparison with some sort of space vehicle! However, for me, it's a plug ugly spacecraft!! Of all the modern image locomotives, I think I like the Stadlers the most.....that CAT engine on a 68 has a proper growl under load, whereas these GM things just whine. And the new tri modes have got happy faces, so I rather like those too.
However, you've made those GM engines look as good to me as anyone ever has, so you must be commended for that! The little bell on those 2 early examples is also quite cute! But I know it's all a matter of taste, and 47401-47420 were my thing back in the day. I had 47412 for 786 miles in a single day in 1981, and I appreciate that wouldn't be many people's cup of tea! So apologies if you just love a shed, folks!
The odd workings of 73s (turning back to dogs, they're a bit like pugs.....rather ugly but still likeable and with a lot of character!) the pair of dub dubs (we never really called them hoovers) the NR37 and of course my duffs (I never called them that either!) were lovely to see, and it's an interesting area you live in, with lots of unusual goings on.
I really liked your human railway project too, and what you've achieved with a digital compact (of unspecified make and model!) is quite remarkable! Well played!
I note you've made reference to your EOS 1 and EF lenses in a cupboard somewhere......you should really get yourself on to eBay (or ffordes or similar) and get yourself a little EOS digital body and put those lenses back to good use!
You could pick up a lovely well specified Canon for not a lot that would give you a lot more control over exposure, shutter speed, white balance etc.
I had a EOS 1N years ago, and like you, my gear sat in a Lowepro case for years before I revived it all by getting a EOS5D. I've now upgraded to a 5DM4 and have a 90D body as well.....which multiplies the focal lengths of all my lenses by 1.6!
This was all wildlife related, but your project of photographing railway comings and goings within a fixed range of your house is a fantastic idea, and I'm rather tempted to give it a try. I haven't pointed my proper camera at a train for about 38 years!!
Naturally there are lots of GM workings round my way too, as the darn things are bloody everywhere, but there are regular 68 workings (DRS Coatbridge Daventry and Torness nuclear services, double headed and top-tailed respectively), and regular Colas 56s on the Grangemouths. And the pair of 20s that make up the 'drain train' were in Slateford yard the other week, and assorted 37s are relatively frequent visitors.....as well as the Scotrail HST sets. Millerhill SS throws out lots of engineering trains at the weekends using just about all the available FOCs, and occasional WCML closures bring some interesting diversions.
I also get specials and excursions to Edinburgh passing, and there are a hatful of those over the summer, so putting all that together, there might be some stuff of interest!
Anyway, apologies for the rambling post, but I have 10 pages and 2 years to catch up on! :oops: Once again I am very sorry for it having passed me by!
 
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Thanks for that fabulous post, M - and I'm so glad my motley shots appeal. It's been no more than a whimsical dip. My life and my career took me via eight counties and from Preston to the Hampshire.- West Sussex coast!
Personally, the post privatisation era holds lesser interest to me; however the rail scene never sleeps and so I hope these photos provide an insight into the marginally less boring side of my locality since 2017.

The Panasonic Lumix digital compact that I'm guilty of using for these shots, is really not ideal but its portability is why I've used it. Canon's EOS 6D mk2 is a few years old but it appeals, so that might get my L series EF lenses dusted off.
My biggest detractor, is that the UK rail scene these days just doesn't "do it" for me. That human interest six month project stemmed from trying to find an inspiring subject - "units and Sheds" is a real turn-off!

Richard's seminal selection, should really make me do similar (I admit to lacking a film scanner, Photoshop and patience...).
However, I sidelined a couple of hundred 35mm shots which have some merit, so I must attempt a digital reproduction.

More power to your Generators! :D I spent time chasing 'em - although I only snared a third of them on 35mm and only 406 and 417 hauled me.
 
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Our furry fostered German Shepherd turns two this Saturday. We couldn't have wished for a more loving and loyal member of our family, in spite of his advancing hip joint arthritis.

Guess who had me out of bed 3:45am for pre-dawn toileting, then wanted to play "chase ball" for 20 minutes afterwards - and then another play at 7:30am...
Thank goodness for pet-friendly porcelain tile cleaner - that floor gets paw prints on an hourly basis. You can guess who is the more pleased about it!
 

Attachments

  • Chase mud magnet.jpg
    Chase mud magnet.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
Hello D and sorry for not replying last night, but I had to do the reading to prepare for my meeting today, after I lost 90 mins going though this thread! However, I'm now waiting for my train to Crewe before jumping on another Avanti emu home, so I have no time pressures! The new dog sounds like a real bundle of energy, which probably won't help the hips in the longer term, but he's certainly enjoying his mobility now alright!
I think a 6D II would be a perfect fit, although you could probably get a 5DS for about the same. If full frame isn't so important, I'd recommend looking for a 2nd hand 90D, as I'm really impressed with that, and probably use it more than my 5D4 nowadays, as the 1.6 form factor helps me get a bit closer to wildlife.....or rather the exact same distance but filling more of the frame! You'll lose a bit of wide angle with your existing lenses, but you could pick up a EF-S wide angle zoom for not a lot if those wide shots are important.
In my upcoming 5 hours of train travel (at least, since it's Avanti!) I'll have more time too look at this thread!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I hope your train journey copes well in this heat. Floundering aircon carriages and wiggly rail lines seem to be a perennial hazard in Blighty!
I'm thankful that my past thirteen years of commuting, have been almost entirely "off rail". Driving and flying, in the main.
I still recall joys of three years with a weekly circuit between east London, Swindon and Rochdale - and the discovery one Friday eve, that my only viable route home from Manchester Piccadilly was via the Hope Valley to Sheffield and then back to London. Even then, it was a further hour to reach the Royal Docks and home...

I lean toward a full frame sensor, to ensure sufficient light so I optimise depth of field, speed - or a decent combination of both. The little Lumix I use, is a 2/3 sensor - it was a "budget purchase". Its limitations are all too apparent on this thread.
For that reason, I'm mainly drawn toward Canon's 6D mk2 as mentioned, also toward Panasonic's Lumix TZ200 full frame sensor digi comp. Both cameras are of similar second-hand price. My L series EF lenses range from a 28mm prime, up to 800mm (using a 2x tele converter).
I typically prefer to shoot with longer focal length. One of my favourite personal photos, is a 400mm shot of 50015 Valiant erupting away from Hereford, plumes of fumes - and dozens of enthusiastic flailing arms..! The compressed focal length adds the drama - and serves as happy reminder of the "good ol' days". :D
 
Last edited:

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
Well, I made it, but not without the usual platform allocation shambles at Crewe, and then, once on the train, an announcement from the TM to pull down all the window blinds because the aircon was struggling. Bloody Alstom crap! Only 14 late into Haymarket though, which actually isn't bad on that route. Internet was dreadful though ....I really don't know how they can punt first class as a business service when the WiFi bandwidth is so pathetic. It couldn't even manage to play the cricket on BBC sounds without interruption! :rolleyes:
I was reading in an email I received from Chiltern that they've been testing their 5G network on EWR Ph1 at 100mph, using some sort of modified Kia road vehicle.....5G rail travel sounds like the way forward! Trying to do some work on the train today reminded me of using BBC micros and Acorns back in the dawn of computers!
Sounds like you have some nice glass in that cupboard......I too have a number of lenses with the distinctive red line around the barrel, and some of them are even white! :lol:. What a day of celebration and 'coming of age' it is when you attach your first white lens to your camera body! I've come a long way from the Petri TTL I started with in 1978. It was a simple match needle metering display, with a cloth shutter, but it was a trusty machine for a few years before I managed to save for my first Canon....a AE-1, with the FD 50mm f/1.8 lens. I managed to progress to a A-1 (I still think it's the best looking camera I've ever had.....I loved it!) and then a T90 (easily the ugliest!) before jumping to autofocus with a EOS-3, with its rather ahead of its time eye controlled focus! I still have my 1N and 3 film cameras and I have some Velvia in the fridge!
My first digital camera, was a Fuji FinePix S602....quite a nice machine in its day but an incredibly primitive sensor and processor compared to today!
Which brings me on to your current preferred new body. While I appreciate your desire for a full frame machine, as an owner of both full frame and APS-C Canons, there is virtually no difference in image quality and creative capabilities. Sensor sensitivity is astonishing in the new latest generation CMOS, and pushing to 2400ASA is utterly noiseless. You already have the things you need to optimise light and image quality in your L series lenses.....the body, once you're past a certain model threshold, is almost irrelevant in my experience. The 90D has a 32.5MP sensor, intelligent 45 point AF, can shoot at 10fps, do 4k video and you can push the ASA to 25600! It actually beats the crap out of the 5D IV, which is 2.5 times the price! So my one piece of advice would be don't rule out an APS-C sensor nowadays! A used 90D body may cost another 200 quid or so, but the functionality knocks the 6D2 into a cocked hat, and as a much newer model, you'll get a future proofed machine for good. You can also control it with your phone and transfer images via BT, so it has all the very latest bells and whistles!
 
Last edited:

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
Ahh...here it is...my first camera! This is what most of the late 70s images I posted on here were taken with :smile:

petri-ttl-petri-18-55mm-lens-609723.jpg
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
That Petri has passing resemblance to Olympus's OM1 and, with both cameras hailing from Japan, I wonder whether one influenced the other. :)

My first 35mm was a Praktica BC1, a fairly basic affair but it was robust and it helped me snare photos of Crewe's "death row" icons in 1986: the rows of class 40s, split box 45053, AC doyen 81001 and stubborn tenant 84008.
In that same summer, I also pointed the lens at Danish State Railways MX and MY veterans, an original livery MZ (to me, a prettier DSB scheme than black + red) and silver "Lightning" streamlined units, derived from the Trans Europe Express VT.

I "jumped ship" to Canon at the very beginning of the 1990s; and ended up with an ex-paparazzi's EOS 1v with the mighty - for then - 10fps power pack attached to it. That body lived on my monopod, regardless of lens in use. With the 100-400mm plus a 2x tele converter, it was a weighty blighter!

Thanks for the tip re: 90D, I will read up about it on DP Review etc. Surreptitiously of course, as my dear wife already thinks I spend too much!
 
Last edited:

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,215
Location
WCML N
That Petri had a passing resemblance to the Olympus OM1 and, with both cameras hailing from Japan, I wonder whether one influenced the other. :)
The Petri seemed to be a well made and well thought of machine back then, despite it's entry level price.....and I wondered if someone else made it.
and, with 100-400mm plus a 2x tele converter, it was a weightly blighter!

Thanks for the tip re: 90D, I will read up about it on DP Review etc. Surreptitiously of course, as my dear wife already thinks I spend too much!
So you have a 'pump' too! What a monster! And way better than it's successor!

Other thing to mention is the relative size and weight of the bodies 2 bodies.
Here are the two of them side by side. They are both mag alloy, so heavy by design for robustness, but the full frame is fatter and deeper and a lot heavier. The 90D on the right just feels snug in my hand.....although as I read earlier, you're 6'6", so handling the bigger one won't be a problem!
 

Attachments

  • 20250619_212816.jpg
    20250619_212816.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Handy comparison, thanks. My meat-hook hands found the EOS1v and power pack a comfortable shape and size for my grip. The smaller EOS bodies I owned, I'd struggled to find a comfortable position of grip. So I will try a couple of local-ish camera shops, to get a feel for the 90D (I have held a 5D mk3 and it felt a nice comfortable size).
 
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
A personal one, after a couple of difficult years.

June 2023 to June 2025, saw my wife, our son and I all made redundant from our jobs; three family bereavements and loss of our beautiful beloved German Shepherd.

Today:
- My wife passed her security clearance and confirmed start date, for a great role in the nuclear defence sector. She was one of more than 200 applicants for that role.
- Our 23 year old son, who faces many daily challenges with learning disabilities and dyspraxia and who lost his biological father a few weeks ago, created a "GoFundMe" page to raise funds for German Shepherd Rescue South (for whom we are fostering a GSD) - and, off his own initiative, he's tagged and messaged celeb dog lovers Ricky Gervais, Nicky Campbell & some other "who's who" names. No prompting, he just did it. If you'd like to help, the link is below.

Claire, Matthew - I am humbled, awed and proud to be your family.

 
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2023
Messages
735
Location
Folkestone
Thanks from me as well for sharing these images and thoughts along the way. I liked in particular how promising weather conditions seemed to be a trigger for you to get out and capture one or more of the regular workings, so often photographing them in great light across the changing seasons. Seeing ED's still at work was a highlight for me and I liked how you stretched your (photography) comfort zone with the people and the railways project.

Great to hear the of the positive news with your wife's new job as well.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Thanks @lostwin(m) I hope my turn on the job front comes, too. It has been so barren in what I do and in the geographic areas we can realistically travel to.

Thanks for resurrecting your thread as often as I resurrected mine! :) I did an O level photography course; and if my 15-16 year old self had captured and developed my mono images even half as well as you did, then I'm certain my exam grade would have been higher!

All the best.
 
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,726
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
post script

I'm dabbling in railway themed Artificial Intelligence created images, on my mobile phone. It's as frustrating as it is fun!
I've started a thread to show what AI algorithms can do now:
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top