• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locked Changing places and disabled toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
A small annoyance I have since my disability has become more disabling is the fact staff don't understand the needs of disabled passengers. Many intercity stations have changing places but some require you to pester staff and others are radar key entry. What decides the security level for such facilities and adds on extra stress to travelers. I waited 10 mins to get into Clapham Junction's earlier a friend was waiting 30 mins!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,754
Location
Midlands
If just a standard NKS Radar key these can be bought on eBay. I bought 3 for under £5. I keep one in the car then one in each of the small and large bag I take when out and about.

The problem comes if the lock is not the standard NKS one or there is a second lock. Just last weekend I found disabled toilets ( not on a railway station ) with locks that require a different key. Potentially even if you have the right key they are only available when the adjacent standard toilets are open but as I did not have the correct key could not test this. I don't specifically need a disabled toilet just at times suddenly need an available one. I had to plan around the opening hours of the blocks then return to my accommodation earlier than I would have done if a Radar key toilet accessible had been available.

In another town I found the whole public toilet block was permanently out of use due to 'misuse'. When the shopping centre is closed nothing is available.
 

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
Clapham jn has a radar lock and a normal one, but to leave someone waiting 30 mins to change a pad is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. At least KGX the cleaners have the key for the Changing places toilet. I did get told by staff at Lancaster Station a while back that local taxi drivers broke the facility so that's why the added additional locking. I understand radar is nice if you have someone regularly checking but if your gonna add another layer of security it should still be easy for people to use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top