• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Location of former Crumlin Viaduct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,756
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Hoping a reader with local knowledge can guide me on this:

An unexpected bereavement on my wife's side, this week, necessitated a trip to Ebbw Vale. I had not explored the area during my "track bashing" years, as the line was still freight-only.
As we drove through Crumlin, I was struck by the splendour of the two valleys and the huge efforts of the original railway engineers.
I could see the location previously taken up by Crumlin Low Level station. I also tried to spot the location of the former cast-iron viaduct (the highest in the UK at the time); I believe its pier-foundations are still present - but I was unable to see them from the car.

We took the B4471 Crumlin Road around the valley north of Crumlin, rather than the A467. I've tried both roads on Google Maps and I tried to find the public house shown in the photo at the top of Wikipedia's page:
Alas, no joy. So - can any of you steer me, where the stone / concrete foundations exist? We'll return to Ebbw next week, so I will have a chance to look then.

Many thanks.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans

robert thomas

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2019
Messages
347
Location
Neath
Here is a photo I took from the viaduct on 1st August 1963 which may help
 

Attachments

  • XZ11.jpg
    XZ11.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 115

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,045
The NLS side-by-side viewer can be helpful for situations like this (though it can be fiddly to use - I find the still-available "old" version works better for me).

Screenshots attached of west abutment, east abutment, and the whole thing. It looks as though the east abutment is still visible, but the west is overgrown.

I went up the line in a charter before it reopened, and I think I could see the east abutment from the train. That would have been around 2010 so might not be the case now.

Screenshot_20250329-202925_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20250329-202802_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20250329-202857_Chrome.jpg
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans
That is brilliant @John Webb thanks ever so much 8-)
My pleasure!
Here is a photo I took from the viaduct on 1st August 1963 which may help
I was on a school trip to South Wales, I think in July of 1963. It was primarily to see the then-new steelworks at Llanwern, just east of Newport. We stayed at the Youth Hostel at Chepstow and the day after the steelworks visit we did a trip up Ebbw Vale, across the head of the valleys and back down the Wye Valley from Monmouth. I remember passing under the viaduct but regrettably we couldn't stop the coach to get a good photo of it. But it certainly stuck in my memory!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
Not only was the viaduct a film star, it appears briefly near the end of Arabesque, but there are number of bits of film to be found of both the filming and the demolition. Arabesque is a visually impressive but utterly confusing film with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren, but the few glimpses of the viaduct, complete with a Birds’ Demolition notice may be of interest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top