• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Local' TOCs that don't stop at all at a station they pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
TOCs like Northern and Southern are basically responsible for serving every station in their area, but there are odd examples of stations they only pass through.

For Southern, Cheddington, Kings Langley, Apsley and Bushey are stations not stopped at on the WCML. Hedge End, Botley and Swaythling on their service via Eastleigh.

For Northern, they don't stop at stations between Nottingham and Chesterfield via Derby, excluding Derby.

For London Midland, they don't stop at Edge Hill, Mossley Hill, West Allerton and Longport. Arguably Queens Park too. (though I have done it!)

For Chiltern, I believe it is just Small Heath and Bordesley! (Arguably Moor Park?)

If you compare with an express TOC, these numbers are tiny.

Northern's unserved stations are on a limited service section, as are the stations via Eastleigh for Southern. Stations that have a regular service through them are probably more notable.

Are there any that I have missed from these TOCs, and are there any other surprising examples from other TOCs?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,327
Location
Bolton
I don't think you have a solid criteria I'm afraid. How is Queen's Park different to South Hampstead or Kilburn High Road - where they really don't stop? LM aren't really a 'local' TOC in the Merseyside area, their Birmingham service is inter-regional.

The Northern service that goes via Derby is what, twice a day? It's hardly surprising that they don't stop around there as its an entirely off-pattern service. Southern services via Eastleigh are also limited.

Maybe Longport for Northern is an idea of what you are getting at? What about Ardwick and Styal?

What about where Northern operate both a semi-fast and an all stations service on the same line? Hexham - Newcastle has trains that just stop at Prudhoe and Metrocentre. There's also Corbridge, Riding Mill, Sotcksfield, Wylam, Blaydon and Dunston on that line.
 
Last edited:

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
Queens Park has WCML platforms... South Hampstead is only on a different line. But now that I think about it there is this bizarre LM service that does operate via the DC lines... it's a London Overground service in all but name though. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P62868/2014/10/19/advanced


For my criteria it matters not if a TOC offers an express service. As long as they have a service that stops at a station they pass it doesn't count. So as Northern serve Ardwick, Styal and Longport they don't count. Longport nearly fits the bill- as it is served primarily by another TOC but the sparse NT service is still there.

Longport does count for LM as they don't stop there at all.

My point is that London Midland stop at, say, 98% of the stations they pass through, whereas Virgin stop at, say, 20%? I'm looking for the stations in the 2% that LM don't serve.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,327
Location
Bolton
London Midland never stop trains at Barlaston, Wedgewood or Norton Bridge :p
 

N Levers

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2010
Messages
308
I'm confused at the point you are trying to make?

It could be argued that, for example, anything West of Havant isn't Southern's area as the 'local Toc, that would be SWT so the services that Southern offer in that area are services into their own area and would not be required to call at all those stations.

Similarly FGW could be considered the local Toc of the Western region (they certainly call everywhere in their area) but the Brighton to Bristol (and beyond) services don't call all stations outside of the FGW area.
 
Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
Southern don't call at Balcombe outside the peaks.

Bat & Ball station will be served by Thameslink services only come the 20th December but be managed by Southeastern.
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
Down here in Hampshire, both Mottisfont & Dunbridge and Dean stations are managed by FGW, but since 2011 only SWT "Romsey 6" services call there.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
The Northern via Derby and Southern via Eastleigh are purely to retain route knowledge for diversions. There's no real intent to provide a service.
 

Southern Dvr

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2010
Messages
995
Queens Park has WCML platforms... South Hampstead is only on a different line. But now that I think about it there is this bizarre LM service that does operate via the DC lines... it's a London Overground service in all but name though. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P62868/2014/10/19/advanced

Can only be a LO if it's goes via DC lines as LM don't have any shoegear stock.

Nobody can stop at Barlaston or Wedgwood as the platform edges have been removed and norton bridge hasn't a bridge!
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Is Water Orton still managed by LM but only stopped at by XC (or was/is it the other way round)
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
I think it's a bit of a bizarre thread by any logic. EMT are a local operator but don't stop at the Thameslink stations bar Bedford and the Luton stations. They also don't stop at Davenport, Woodsmoor, Levenshume, Flixton, Lakenheath etc.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Is it still the case that EMT manage Burton on Trent but don't serve it?

Yes because, as often discussed, DfT made the decision that the XC franchise does not manage any stations. If they happen to be the only operator at a particular station the appropriate geographically TOC gets the station. Burton is not unique in this respect.

That is a slightly different case to the original question.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm confused at the point you are trying to make?

It could be argued that, for example, anything West of Havant isn't Southern's area as the 'local Toc, that would be SWT so the services that Southern offer in that area are services into their own area and would not be required to call at all those stations.

I'd agree - Southern's 'local area' definitely ends just before Havant. There's a definite overlap (in terms of local stoppers) between Havant and Portsmouth itself which are effectively shared by SN and SWT, but the same doesn't apply towards Southampton.

A number of stations on the Netley line get extra SN calls in the morning peak towards Southampton, in fact I think there is one 'all stations' but these are an exception to the normal service pattern.
 
Last edited:

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
By.a TOCs area, I mean ANYWHERE they run trains to. I know the purpose of the Derby/Eastleigh services, I was just pointing out that, for each TOC, it provides a very rare example of stations they never stop at.

The 0200 SuO LM service is operated by LO but advertised as LM, meaning LM only tickets are valid. If you were to consider it an LO service, I think it's the only time LO operate a skip stop service!

Station management oddities are interesting, but I believe there have been other threads to discuss that.

I'd be fascinated to see a list of all TOCs by % of stations not stopped at. Merseyrail, London Overground and Southeastern are joint leaders on 100% I believe?

I believe, since starting to call at Manea, the only station Greater Anglia don't stop at is South Tottenham!
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
By.a TOCs area, I mean ANYWHERE they run trains to. I know the purpose of the Derby/Eastleigh services, I was just pointing out that, for each TOC, it provides a very rare example of stations they never stop at.

The 0200 SuO LM service is operated by LO but advertised as LM, meaning LM only tickets are valid. If you were to consider it an LO service, I think it's the only time LO operate a skip stop service!

Station management oddities are interesting, but I believe there have been other threads to discuss that.

I'd be fascinated to see a list of all TOCs by % of stations not stopped at. Merseyrail, London Overground and Southeastern are joint leaders on 100% I believe?

I believe, since starting to call at Manea, the only station Greater Anglia don't stop at is South Tottenham!

Once the separate Caledonian Sleeper franchise is up and running next year Scotrail will be another 100% stopping franchise.

At present I make them on 92% or so.

They call at 344 of the 345 stations they operate in Scotland (don't serve Lockerbie)
They also call at Dunbar, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley and Prestwick International Airport in Scotland.
In England they serve Carlisle, Preston, Crewe, Watford Junction and London Euston.

Total stations served 353.

Depending how you want to define the WCML stations - I'm going with 32 stations not served (excluding DC lines stations with no WCML platforms).

So out of 385 stations passed through they stop at 353 for 91.7%.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
OK I think what you're getting at is a little clearer - which TOCs have the most/fewest stations that they skip?

I imagine that due to the low numbers of trains and strict limits on what they can do, the open access operators will have the lowest stop percentages:

Grand Central - 14/48 stations, 29.2%
Hull Trains - 9/38 stations, 23.7%

--
Chiltern skip only Bordsley and Small Heath - oh and West Hampstead!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top