hexagon789
Veteran Member
The OP used 158s as an exampleIts technically express stock though in reference to OP
The OP used 158s as an exampleIts technically express stock though in reference to OP
Barnstaple line having 158s whilst the Portsmouth line gets downgraded stock? Makes my blood boil
For some time it had scheduled St Erth - Plymouth and Plymouth - Penzance work on summer Saturdays. Some years it also didba return trip to Exeter St Davids. Shame it's no longer possible.
Pity they didn't get the power door mods on the sleeper stock. Presumably then it would be still allowed.
Replacing hauled stock - I doubt the well-heeled commuters from Henley would describe their train as a localInter City DMUs on Paddington-Henley commuters c 1968-76 between Paddington resignalling and introduction of HSTs.

And a Mk3 set in from Northampton....Diesel hauled 0715 or 0717 Bishops Stortford-Liverpool Street for at least 3 years 1973-75 using stock to form 0836 to Kings Lynn.
Various Peterborough commuters booked HSTs in the 1980s.
2F79/5F79, yes that was shown as a 5.444 in the Dec 2018 working notices, and back to a 450 May 2019 which fits with what you remember.For I think at least a couple of timetable periods, the 0027 London Waterloo to Surbiton (calling Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden and Berrylands en route, can't remember if it was pre- or post- extension to West Byfleet and Woking) was a booked Class 444, rather than the single Class 450 is was before and I believe since. The stock then berthed in Platform 6 at Woking overnight, to then form the 0619 Woking to Portsmouth Harbour via Eastleigh service.
Many years ago BR ran Ayr - Glasgow with the stick for the Royal Scot. Then there were the 90 + hauled stock workings to North Berwick…
The stock used to run a morning Glasgow-Ayr commuter before returning as the Royal Scot through to London.

Possibly, but then how long will fitting out take? (Given the whole sorry HST power door saga.)One assumes so.
I wonder if, once the HSTs get binned (which looks likely to be soonish), the kit could be recovered and refitted to the Sleeper stock?
In earlier years a 47 did the job, but yes a very appropriate 87. Not the fastest run in 1987, and it was the 0845 not 0745 in 1987, from memory BR seemed to be on one of its "slow years" that year - into Glasgow 0943 iirc, then departing Glasgow as the 1010 to Euston and arriving in the capital at 1517.Here it is at Ayr on 24th June 1987, with perhaps the most appropriate loco possible in charge:
View attachment 110258
(87001 Royal Scot at Ayr awaiting departure with the 07:45 to London Euston - 24th June 1987. Copyright of Flickr's Gordon Thomson)
I suspect the 0745 there was a typo (which I copied verbatim without consulting another source...In earlier years a 47 did the job, but yes a very appropriate 87. Not the fastest run in 1987, and it was the 0845 not 0745 in 1987, from memory BR seemed to be on one of its "slow years" that year - into Glasgow 0943 iirc, then departing Glasgow as the 1010 to Euston and arriving in the capital at 1517.
To be very fair it was 0745 the previous year, and in 1985.I suspect the 0745 there was a typo (which I copied verbatim without consulting another source...), as the correct departure time for the year in question is noted here in this pic (also from Gordon Thomson) of 87019 at Irvine on 7th July:
![]()
Irvine - 87019 'Sir Winston Churchill' with 08.45 Ayr - London Euston 07-07-1987
For several years before electrification, a Glasgow - London train was extended to start at Ayr - to entice commuters to use the mk 3 coaching stock. there was no corresponding return working. Here the train approaches the Irvine stop.www.flickr.com
Aye, but even so. Pays to do your research after all.To be very fair it was 0745 the previous year, and in 1985.
Well, I'll admit I didn't entirely trust my own memory. So after coming up with the various 'figures' I did go and double check I wasn't the one who was mistaken!Aye, but even so. Pays to do your research after all.![]()
Something we've all found ourselves doing at one time or another, some more than others.... (gives a hollow laugh)Well, I'll admit I didn't entirely trust my own memory. So after coming up with the various 'figures' I did go and double check I wasn't the one who was mistaken!
They run stoppers all over the place, the interior might not be that suited but the gearbox certainly is compared to the 142s they've replaced!Not sure if a Northern 195 can be counted as 'express' stock but I've found particulary towards the end of the night seem to cover the Leeds - Sheffield via Castleford 'stopper' service which is presumably more an operational thing to get them parked up at Sheffield for the next morning?
Also at some point there was an odd arrangement with Northern and Grand Central where a Grand Central 180 provided for an early morning Halifax - Leeds run but not sure if that is still a thing or not (of course Grand Central itself has the Tour De Yorkshire followed by a straight non stop run from Doncaster to London!)
GWR did run a full sized HST on Summer Saturdays for a return trip between Bristol and Weymouth, stopping at most (but not all) stations.
That route now gets Turbos with some 158s. Turbos for all stations stopping services between Bristol Parkway and Frome are OK but a Turbo all the way to Weymouth can be quite uncomfortable as journey time is usually around 2.5hrs from Bristol to Weymouth.
Albeit with a considerably shorter formationThe summer Saturday HSTs will run to Weymouth once again this summer.
No. Just no.One assumes so.
I wonder if, once the HSTs get binned (which looks likely to be soonish), the kit could be recovered and refitted to the Sleeper stock?