I note that public transport has been advised as 'essential only', does this mean they are willingly discriminating against non car owners?
Seems a bit poor
My argument would be that if you don't have a car then public transport is essential!
I note that public transport has been advised as 'essential only', does this mean they are willingly discriminating against non car owners?
Seems a bit poor
My argument will be that I've never done the LNER diverts between Edinburgh and Newcastle via Carlisle before. Seems pretty essential to me!My argument would be that if you don't have a car then public transport is essential!
It does make you wonder.I asume that the club is only used at weekends? Do these people not get the point that the virus lasts 3-4 days max, so by the following weekend will be gone (in the unlikely event it was even there) without any intervention?
My argument would be that if you don't have a car then public transport is essential!
Clearly, there would be a judgment call as to what is considered essential public transport. If it's that you have to go to work, then you'll be fine. If you just fancy a jolly (with the attendant justification that not travelling on a class 143 would be a massive assault on your mental health), then that will probably be viewed as non-essential.
As regards the legalities (and I'm no barrack-room lawyer so it's just my interpretation rather than me stating this as fact), we are still covered by the Health Protection Regulations legislation so should the government wish to lock down travel again, they have the legal right to do so. That this may indirectly discriminate against a particular demographic is irrelevant.
But why should people in (for example) Sussex or Devon be locked down because of high case rates in the North West, North East, and West Midlands?
"If we don't act now we'll find ourselves in another crisis situation."
Leader of Newcastle City Council welcomes the decision to place new restrictions on northeast England, and says he's asked for further restrictions to "limit people's movements".
The same could be said even within the North East with today’s local measures. Why should people in Upper Teesdale, Weardale, or remoter sparsely populated parts of Northumberland suffer because of high rates in Sunderland, Newcastle, Gateshead etc.
My argument will be that I've never done the LNER diverts between Edinburgh and Newcastle via Carlisle before. Seems pretty essential to me!![]()
I think it should be fine. Im thinking of doing them too.
I'd recommend it.
Though if you do it the way I did - on the way from London to Aberdeen - it's quite a long day...
For what purpose?Think I would rather have a fortnight's full UK wide lockdown....
This would be unlawful.I note that public transport has been advised as 'essential only', does this mean they are willingly discriminating against non car owners?
Ive done it most of the last few years. Not quite as interesting with the 800s though. I live in Glasgow .
What would that achieve? The first lockdown did not eliminate the virus. A second will be no different. We can't go in and out of lockdown for the rest of time.Think I would rather have a fortnight's full UK wide lockdown than all these local lockdowns which seem random and mystifying, especially to non locals.
My interpretation would be that since I have no alternative means by which to go about my lawful business, public transport is indeed essential.
Because they're unfortunate enough to share a council with those hotspot locations. Doing things at a council level means that it is easily understandable who it applies to whilst retaining a degree of granularity - in urban areas this works well, but it does fall down a bit when it comes to the large county sized councils by which Northumberland is far and away the largest.
With Co Durham and Northumberland there probably is a separate argument to be had whether the whole county should be subject to the restrictions or just the problem towns/areas which the gov website seems to suggest are the areas with the increase in cases, but is dependant on how those towns interact with the rest of the county. "2 wronging" by placing the whole country under the restrictions definitely isn't the answer
What would that achieve? The first lockdown did not eliminate the virus. A second will be no different. We can't go in and out of lockdown for the rest of time.
We don't make the judgement on what is our lawful business. The regulations are such that travel can be constrained.
We may feel that it's lawful to have a jolly to see Caerphilly Castle - we can't.
I'd presume that you're right and that the cases in Northumberland will be mainly in the South East (e.g. Cramlington, Blyth, Bedlington, Ashington) whilst the rest of the county is mainly sheep and seagulls anyway. It is for ease of administration (as its a unitary authority) and wherever the line is drawn, there will be people pleased or displeased on the divide.
Probably absolutely nothing (see under "current restrictions") but the only positive is we all know where we stand. Question; those living on the Fylde are to be restricted to essential travel only according to the Sky news item above. So if I lived on the Fylde could I travel to Brighton next week for a pre-booked holiday? And don't you think most will ignore them anyway?For what purpose?
What would that achieve?!
It won't.....wouldn't it be better to go the whole hog and lockdown again for two or three weeks? Do it properly if the government thinks it will do any good...
Probably absolutely nothing (see under "current restrictions") but the only positive is we all know where we stand. Question; those living on the Fylde are to be restricted to essential travel only according to the Sky news item above. So if I lived on the Fylde could I travel to Brighton next week for a pre-booked holiday? And don't you think most will ignore them anyway?
I think, as long as the death toll remains low, we should be trying to open up places, such as football grounds for fans. But if we are gonna have these petty pointless restrictions where people like myself don't know where we're up to - then wouldn't it be better to go the whole hog and lockdown again for two or three weeks? Do it properly if the government thinks it will do any good - or not at all. I prefer the latter.
No it didn't!!No but (national lockdown) did stop the exponential growth of the virus and the overwhelming of critical care capacity.
The leader of Newcastle City Council is calling for further restrictions to limit people's movements: https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1306646759372926978
Probably absolutely nothing (see under "current restrictions") but the only positive is we all know where we stand. Question; those living on the Fylde are to be restricted to essential travel only according to the Sky news item above. So if I lived on the Fylde could I travel to Brighton next week for a pre-booked holiday? And don't you think most will ignore them anyway?
I think, as long as the death toll remains low, we should be trying to open up places, such as football grounds for fans. But if we are gonna have these petty pointless restrictions where people like myself don't know where we're up to - then wouldn't it be better to go the whole hog and lockdown again for two or three weeks? Do it properly if the government thinks it will do any good - or not at all. I prefer the latter.
I know the difference between correlation and causation. I can also read the statistics https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/No it didn't!!
The incidence of new infections was already beginning to plateau in the days preceding the commencement of
the lockdown (due to people voluntarily washing hands more, social distancing, avoiding large gatherings, etc)
Just because there was an 'effect' (growth of the virus slowed during April) doesn't mean that
the lockdown was the 'cause' - there is no proof whatsoever that the two are linked:
![]()
Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
For some reason that I am unable to fully understand, people in this country, including the vast majority
of politicians/council leaders, have become convinced (brainwashed?) that lockdowns are the only viable
method of controlling the spread of the virus, even though other Europeans countries, such as France
have vowed never to go into lockdown again, irrespective of how rapidly their daily case figures rise.
MARK
I certainly won't be requiring your interpretation.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Otherwise, for us plebs, we are subject to the Public Health Regs 2020 that allow the Secretary of State to take whatever steps are allowed and that includes restrictions on travel.
Brainwashing? You'll be saying >40k haven't died next.
Where is the evidence that the numbers wouldn't have been pretty much the same with only light-touch restrictions?
One of my main complaints with how all this has been managed is people, including those in positions of power, insisting that guidance is law.
Correct but that is not what I said.There is not, and never has been, anything in the regulations about restrictions to who can, and can not, use public transport.
Also the current round of restrictions do not limit your ability to be outside of your house, or the reason for being outside of your house, but rather who you meet when you do leave your home.
One of my main complaints with how all this has been managed is people, including those in positions of power, insisting that guidance is law.
And one of mine is that there even is guidance. If you need people to do it, make it law. Don't even have the guidance.
Oh I don't know.... New Zealand, Australia, South Kores, Singapore....