So you feel that the pension funds that bought into the sale of the Royal Mail did a disservice to those pension fundholders who have pensions with them ?
Which pension funds? The priority investors for Royal Mail were, by and large, hedge funds and venture capitalists. Many of these are regular donors to the Conservative Party. It must be pure coincidence.
I also don't care who bought Royal Mail, the fact it was undervalued- today's reports estimate by £1bn- is disgraceful.
Of course it tends to be the richest people who have private pensions anyway, as poorer people very much live hand-to-mouth. Yet more theft of public property into the hands of the wealthy Tory benefactors.
Incidentally, how good it is of you to put right the scurrilous rumour that the Labour Party in its last terms of office was profligate
The only "profilgacy" was bailing out the failing bankers instead of letting the whole lot go bankrupt.
Economics George doesn't have that excuse, yet has managed to blow half a trillion pounds in five years.
FWIW I very much believe that all politicians are thieving scum, and that Labour are just as bad as the Tories. At least the Tories are a bit more transparent about the fact they want to drag us back to Victorian-style serfdom as quickly as possible. There's loads of money in this country, it's just all being given to the Mayfair bankers.
Both my wife and I paid in the maximum possible employee contribution allowed into our company employment pension, in addition to having our own personal private pension schemes, before our retirement. We both are now reaping the benefit of what some would decry as "personal responsibility".
Except you haven't paid in enough to cover what you've taken out, which is why we're in this mess now. Nobody who is currently receiving a public sector pension did. The Universities Superannuated Scheme has a deficit of £500m, for instance, all because of ongoing liabilities to existing pensioners. The Royal Mail pension scheme liabilities- conveniently not sold to Economics George's mate from the Bullingdon Club, funny that- is about the same.
As I've said before, the Baby Boomers have cleaned us out. I will not have the same standard of retirement that you did regardless of how much money I put aside- my pension is "career average" rather than "final salary", for one thing- and the same is true for most people of my age. And as it currently stands I've actually had to freeze my pension payments because I can't afford them. Between rent and travel costs I have precious little left over, I certainly don't have 7% of my salary sitting around spare. But my rent is paying for some baby boomer's buy-to-let investment property, so that's all grand.