• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNR/WMR&TFW Only Euston-Piccadilly Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2015
Messages
111
Hello,

I've often found it difficult to book this ticket, (or the equivalent one with Northern instead of TFW), especially when there's engineering works ongoing. For example, I'm looking at potentially doing the following on 24th of August:

10.52am-1.58pm Euston to Crewe LNR, connecting to 2.11pm-2.44pm Crewe to Piccadilly TFW
6.30pm-7.09pm Piccadilly to Crewe TFW, with an optimistic (below minimum connection time) 7.13pm-10.02pm Crewe to Euston LNR, or 8.13pm-11.16pm if I miss it.

However, I can't get any journey planner including the forum's one to offer me this journey - if I exclude Avanti it tries to route me onto Crosscountry instead, on which this cheaper walk-up ticket isn't valid, and if I exclude them too it says there's nothing available. I can get the constituent parts offered, so the trains in question do seem to be running, but trying to go the whole way and get that ticket doesn't work.

So a couple of questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking this is a valid itinerary on that ticket on a Sunday (with time restrictions only applying Monday-Saturday), or have I misunderstood something? Would it still be valid if the engineering works meant I also had to change at Milton Keynes?
2) If so, is there any way to get a journey planner to recognise this and sell me the ticket?
3) If not, is it possible to buy it anyway (e.g. from a ticket machine or ticket office) and use it regardless?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
This forum:
Via Crewe
Exclude Northern & Avanti

No Sunday time restrictions on the ticket you provide a link to.

You can buy from a ticket office without an itinerary. Then it’s up to you to observe the restrictions. Minimum connection time only matters if you subsequently want to claim Delay Repay.

Change at Milton Keynes is not a break of journey, so is fine.
 
Last edited:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
Hello,

I've often found it difficult to book this ticket, (or the equivalent one with Northern instead of TFW), especially when there's engineering works ongoing. For example, I'm looking at potentially doing the following on 24th of August:

10.52am-1.58pm Euston to Crewe LNR, connecting to 2.11pm-2.44pm Crewe to Piccadilly TFW
6.30pm-7.09pm Piccadilly to Crewe TFW, with an optimistic (below minimum connection time) 7.13pm-10.02pm Crewe to Euston LNR, or 8.13pm-11.16pm if I miss it.

However, I can't get any journey planner including the forum's one to offer me this journey - if I exclude Avanti it tries to route me onto Crosscountry instead, on which this cheaper walk-up ticket isn't valid, and if I exclude them too it says there's nothing available. I can get the constituent parts offered, so the trains in question do seem to be running, but trying to go the whole way and get that ticket doesn't work.

So a couple of questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking this is a valid itinerary on that ticket on a Sunday (with time restrictions only applying Monday-Saturday), or have I misunderstood something? Would it still be valid if the engineering works meant I also had to change at Milton Keynes?
2) If so, is there any way to get a journey planner to recognise this and sell me the ticket?
3) If not, is it possible to buy it anyway (e.g. from a ticket machine or ticket office) and use it regardless?
The 14:11 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly (arrive 14:44) is an Avanti service, not TfW
 

Spurs

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2015
Messages
111
This forum:
Via Crewe
Exclude Northern & Avanti

No Sunday time restrictions on the ticket you provide a link to.

You can buy from a ticket office without an itinerary. Then it’s up to you to observe the restrictions.

Change at Milton Keynes is not a break of journey, so is fine.
Hadn't thought of specifying Via Crewe in the advanced options too - thank you, that's worked!

The 14:11 Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly (arrive 14:44) is an Avanti service, not TfW
Yep, noted that one down wrong from my research - but there is a valid 2.33pm departure it's now offering :)
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,770
Location
UK
Another option would be to login/create an account on one of the GTR websites or SE, find an itinerary on e.g. a weekday where the fare is offered, add it to the basket with your preferred fulfilment method, and then 'favourite' it from the popup basket list. This will then allow you to purchase it again from the Favourites menu for any date you choose in the date picker, without needing to search for itineraries.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Note that the OP has the name 'Spurs' are you heading to the football?

Given if the Manchester City vs Tottenham game is on the TV although not confirmed yet (still showing a 3pm kick off on the Saturday 23rd)

If it's played in the 4:30pm TV slot on the 24th August, then you would be pushing it to get back for a 6:30pm train unless you left the Eithad early.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
then you would be pushing it to get back for a 6:30pm train unless you left the Eithad early.
Pushing it makes it sound like it would be a possibility. You’d need to be leaving barely half way through the second half.
 

Spurs

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2015
Messages
111
Yeah I had the slot as 4pm in my mind when it's actually 4.30 - I blame the off-season!

Always just like to be ahead of the rush with trains and remember Manchester often being difficult to get a good deal on in the past so wanted to be ready for when they announced the TV pick.

Anyway, they've confirmed it for the Saturday 12.30 slot now on this occasion, and I've managed to nab a couple of the cheapest possible advances for a grand total of £18.60 (and 10% back on Uber since it was a simple one not needing the ticketsplit/forum site) which I'm obviously very happy with! Thanks for the advice all - will inevitably come in handy for some future trip!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top