• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulj8374

Member
Joined
11 May 2020
Messages
43
Location
Manchester
Congrats to all those who start the course in January.
I started mine in November and although it is completely different from what I am used to I am more than happy with my new change in career.
Good luck for the course and we may bump in to one another at York training.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davyhoogy

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2020
Messages
18
Location
Newcastle
Congrats to all those who start the course in January.
I started mine in November and although it is completely different from what I am used to I am more than happy with my new change in career.
Good luck for the course and we may bump in to one another at York training.
Are they doing any home based lessons? Wasn't sure how a lockdown would effect the course
 

Sulj8374

Member
Joined
11 May 2020
Messages
43
Location
Manchester
Is that continuing in the current lockdown?
Yes so far it is, once I pass the rules exam I've another 5 week on traction (learning about the running of the azuma) all will be based at Doncaster and York.
There are further courses being run on March and June and possibly November
 

CreamNCookies

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
416
Same here mate First time going through the process so just a tad nervous!
Best of luck!
First opportunity making it to a DMI for me. From what i've been told in the past, it isn't something to be too nervous about. Hopefully the fact we're all doing it in the comfort of our own surroundings will put us at ease a little.

Good luck yourself bud, making it this far is an achievement from what i've seen!
 

SWH

New Member
Joined
4 May 2020
Messages
4
Location
Sunderland
First opportunity making it to a DMI for me. From what i've been told in the past, it isn't something to be too nervous about. Hopefully the fact we're all doing it in the comfort of our own surroundings will put us at ease a little.

Good luck yourself bud, making it this far is an achievement from what i've seen!
Yeah good point, the video interview was a bizarre experience so will be nice to talk to some actual humans!

Yes sounds it, spent the last week trawling through this thread following last year’s applicants through the process, had no idea how lengthy it is! Some great stuff though, wish I’d found it sooner!

Thanks pal, all the best
 

CreamNCookies

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
416
My time slot for the interview is an hour. So i'm guessing it won't be longer than that, but who knows.

There's alot of information on here, but try not to get too bogged down and overload your brain!
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Judging by a recent post on LinkedIn by LNER, they’re hinting at more vacancies soon, so might be worth keeping a lookout on their website.
 

Loco94

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2019
Messages
70
Looks like they’ve left lots of people at different stages of the original March 2020 vacancy in limbo, not replying to people’s questions and not providing updates.. Covid or no Covid it’s not fair on anyone to leave them clueless.
 

lhenderson92

New Member
Joined
16 Feb 2021
Messages
3
Location
Newcastle
I start January too. Excited! Anyone had joining instructions? I received a travel pass but thats it.


I was ex military primarily, most recently worked in mobility equipment.
I'm applying from Newcastle too!

I've just started the application and they've asked 'What are your salary expectations for this role?' - did anyone get asked something similar?
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
I'm applying from Newcastle too!

I've just started the application and they've asked 'What are your salary expectations for this role?' - did anyone get asked something similar?

Bit odd for a role where the salary is fixed. Understandable for many negotiable roles but driving isn't!

Suppose you could put what the advert says:

"Salary: Starting salary £28,711, rising as you qualify"
 

Ana D

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2018
Messages
43
Of course, some scenarios are better than others. However as an example, this one asked you what you would do and who you would contact if there was a hole in a fence next to a high-speed line or what would you do if your onboard emergency systems activated, how do you fix this and who do you contact etc... these are just ridiculous things to ask an applicant, there's only one correct answer to each scenario and that will be taught to you during training, so no matter what your personal opinion is, you do what you were trained to.
So you don’t stop the train, you call signaller and report it, and if emergency system is activated you stop the train , and talk to the guard,if there’s one, I’m not sure what options are in the answers but that’s what you do.
 

JLDURHAM

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2021
Messages
8
Location
Durham
Just applied for Newcastle today.

Completed the first and third tests just fine. The second I completed 38/50 in the 10 minute allocation.
 

Katie1990

New Member
Joined
17 Feb 2021
Messages
4
Location
Newcastle upon Tyne
Deleted

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just applied for Newcastle today.

Completed the first and third tests just fine. The second I completed 38/50 in the 10 minute allocation.
What sort of answers did you give for the first? My answers were safety and customer focused but I've failed more than once (I've become a little obsessive, oops)
 

60074

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2010
Messages
106
Just applied for Newcastle today.

Completed the first and third tests just fine. The second I completed 38/50 in the 10 minute allocation.
If you made it onto the 3rd test then you will have passed the 2nd.
 

L33mcc

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2020
Messages
45
Location
London
I’ve done the first test 4 times and I have no idea how I keep failing it. Anyone got any tips ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top