• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER, How is it Pronounced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayaz2001

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2023
Messages
152
Location
Blackburn
I have been calling LNER as liner, but ive noticed some people spell it out as - (el-en-ee-ar). have anyone else done this, and are there any other toc/foc pronounced two or more ways?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
LNER is an initialism rather than an acronym, so each letter is spelt out - as per the OP, it is pronounced el-en-ee-ar, and this is reflected in announcements at stations and onboard LNER trains.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,875
I have been calling LNER as liner, but ive noticed some people spell it out as - (el-en-ee-ar). have anyone else done this, and are there any other toc/foc pronounced two or more ways?
Only use if ‘liner I have heard is as shorthand for Freightliner.
 

bengley

Established Member
Joined
18 May 2008
Messages
1,987
If you said Liner to me in a conversation I'd think you were talking about Freightliner. So I would suggest LNER is a better way of saying it.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,575
London North Eastern Railway, initialised to LNER :)
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,583
Location
LBK
If you’re going to pronounce it then it’s better to call it “Eleanor”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top