• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER “Coronation” observation cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,574
Location
Macclesfield
I recently picked up an old (early 70s) book detailing the various UK preserved railway concerns operating at that time. This book also mentions that the two observation cars of the former LNER “Coronation” train, albeit in their rebuilt more angular form as used on the West Highland line, were in preservation at this time; one on the Lochty railway with “Union of South Africa”, and the other somewhere in England. Possibly on the Keighley and Worth Valley or the ELR, but I can’t quite remember which it said.

So, where are these two vehicles now and what happened to them between the early seventies and the present day? Although I can by no means claim to have visited or know a great deal of information about a large number of the preserved railways around the country, I have never heard much about the Coronation beaver tail observation cars in preservation before this mention.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,574
Location
Macclesfield
Yeah that's one of the beasties! Anyone know what RVP stands for where it says who it's on loan to? Thanks for clarifying half of the mystery for me, nice to see that at least one of the beavertails is still with us and in good condition.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,574
Location
Macclesfield
Ah great, I see they have ownership of both of the beavertails. I wonder where 1719 was hidden away last time I was on the GCR. I'm really impressed to hear that they are restoring the other observation car to original "Coronation" condition! That'd be fantastic to see!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top