• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNE ticket almost refused

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
Just travelling a on a LNE (London St Pancras Eurostar) to Leicester. The pdf ticket shows departure at 1249, but that is timed from Eurostar. In very small print below in the itinerary section it shows 1305 departure from the EMR platforms. Unfortunately the bar code reads 1249 to the on board ticket inspector who then claimed we were on the wrong train. Curiously the Apple wallet ticket shows 1305 in the exact same field as the pdf ticket shows 1249. Inspector was happy when he saw the Appleg ticket. Purchased from Trainsplit.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
There is no 1249 departure to Leicester anyway, something I’d hope the guard would pick up on.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I think a contributing factor is using the 1st class catering host to check tickets.
Ah, yes - they are very well-meaning but I am not sure some are particularly clued up with some of the finer details.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
Ah, yes - they are very well-meaning but I am not sure some are particularly clued up with some of the finer details.
I think my real question is why the pdf shows misleading information but the Apple pass is more helpful.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,721
Location
Burgess Hill
The PDF ticket should also show this quite clearly without the need for a wallet pass.

1728306435169.png

Or the other style of PDF being phased out:

1728306651698.png
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
The PDF ticket should also show this quite clearly without the need for a wallet pass.

View attachment 166935

Or the other style of PDF being phased out:

View attachment 166936
Yes, close examination does show the above. But the depart 1249 bit is what confused the inspector. The bar code also returns 1249. On the wallet pass it shows 1305 in the depart field. Not sure how 1249 is generated given a walk 1 minute instruction.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,721
Location
Burgess Hill
Yes, close examination does show the above. But the depart 1249 bit is what confused the inspector. The bar code also returns 1249. On the wallet pass it shows 1305 in the depart field. Not sure how 1249 is generated given a walk 1 minute instruction.
Departing 1249 is correct as this field is meant to display the departure time for the first leg of the itinerary, which would be the walk.

The 1 minute walk refers to the transfer from LNE to St Pancras, but there is also the 15 minute minimum connection time at St Pancras which means the walk starts 16 minutes before your train departs.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
Yes, close examination does show the above. But the depart 1249 bit is what confused the inspector. The bar code also returns 1249. On the wallet pass it shows 1305 in the depart field. Not sure how 1249 is generated given a walk 1 minute instruction.

1 minute walk followed by a 15 minute connection time?
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,341
1 minute walk followed by a 15 minute connection time?
Yes. The idea (I assume) is that St Pancras is a complicated place, and once you have arrived in it, it will take you up to 15 minutes to find your train.

And most minimum connections are generous, to allow for people of limited mobility and limited understanding of how a given railway station works.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
I wonder why the ticket checker didn’t realise as soon as he saw LNE as the origin that he wasn’t actually looking at a normal ticket from St Pancras, which would have been shown as STP. Looks like a training failure to me.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,842
The idea (I assume) is that St Pancras is a complicated place, and once you have arrived in it, it will take you up to 15 minutes to find your train.
That could quite easily happen if you take a wrong turning coming out of the Eurostar area.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
That could quite easily happen if you take a wrong turning coming out of the Eurostar area.
In more positive news, nobody questioned why I had an LNE ticket or demanded to see Eurostar tickets (in either direction). Though the delay repay I’m claiming for the trip to London seems to have gone off for “further quality assurance checks”. The train was held for 20 minutes at Leicester for fitters to release someone trapped in the toilet due to a jammed door. Hope they weren’t stuck from Sheffield….
Maybe they are going to claim I wasn’t late to LNE because of the 15 minute interchange time.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,842
Maybe they are going to claim I wasn’t late to LNE because of the 15 minute interchange time.
Well, the delay is to your overall journey and with a 'London International' ticket there was undoubtedly a longer journey so, if you caught your scheduled Eurostar service, they might say that.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
Well, the delay is to your overall journey and with a 'London International' ticket there was undoubtedly a longer journey so, if you caught your scheduled Eurostar service, they might say that.
Interestingly for the trip to LNE the itinerary only mentions the 1 minute walk to London International (CIV). No mention of the 15 minute interchange time. My guess is that the automated delay repay system doesn’t know about LNE.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interestingly for the trip to LNE the itinerary only mentions the 1 minute walk to London International (CIV). No mention of the 15 minute interchange time. My guess is that the automated delay repay system doesn’t know about LNE.
The first class LNE ticket is only £19.80 with a rail card. It has just occurred to me that buying the cheapest Eurostar ticket (£34 if I remember correctly) and not using it would possibly make a cheaper 1st class ticket to London than a normal one to St Pancras!
 
Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,620
Location
Warks
Unfortunately the bar code reads 1249 to the on board ticket inspector who then claimed we were on the wrong train
The exact retail service identifier (RSID) you had a reservation on should've also been encoded into the barcode, which a correctly configured handheld scanning device should understand to match the train that the staff were stood on.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,375
The exact retail service identifier (RSID) you had a reservation on should've also been encoded into the barcode, which a correctly configured handheld scanning device should understand to match the train that the staff were stood on.
If it was a service host that did the check it may have just been visual check of ticket. Not a scanning device.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
If it was a service host that did the check it may have just been visual check of ticket. Not a scanning device.

The first post said:

Unfortunately the bar code reads 1249 to the on board ticket inspector who then claimed we were on the wrong train. Curiously the Apple wallet ticket shows 1305 in the exact same field as the pdf ticket shows 1249. Inspector was happy when he saw the Appleg ticket. Purchased from Trainsplit.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
Ah ok. Thanks.
Just for clarity, the inspector did scan the bar code, then looked at the scanner and then very politely said we were on the wrong train. He reluctantly agreed with my point of view when I showed him the itinerary on my paper print out of the pdf and was very happy when I showed him the Apple pass (which showed the correct train time). He then said it must be a faulty bar code. Whether he was reading his device incorrectly or whether it was displaying incorrect information I cannot say.
Ah ok. Thanks.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
EMR train managers perform some duties which might on other TOCs be the preserve of first class hosts, so it was almost certainly the train manager.
 

jthjth

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2015
Messages
383
EMR train managers perform some duties which might on other TOCs be the preserve of first class hosts, so it was almost certainly the train manager.
I doubt it. The inspector/host was quite young. Meanwhile we were getting lots of announcements about the train terminating at Leicester because of too many faulty engines.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
EMR train managers perform some duties which might on other TOCs be the preserve of first class hosts, so it was almost certainly the train manager.
EMR first class hosts check all tickets in first class, in case of dispute they're meant to refer any issues to the train manager to deal with. A tiny number of train managers will check first class themselves but it's very few. They often do help with the tea trolley though!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,375
EMR first class hosts check all tickets in first class, in case of dispute they're meant to refer any issues to the train manager to deal with. A tiny number of train managers will check first class themselves but it's very few. They often do help with the tea trolley though!
Definitely experience this. If I want a weekend first the host notes my seat then usually gives refreshments, TM comes down later to sort the ticket.
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,294
Location
Crawley
Just for clarity, the inspector did scan the bar code, then looked at the scanner and then very politely said we were on the wrong train. He reluctantly agreed with my point of view when I showed him the itinerary on my paper print out of the pdf and was very happy when I showed him the Apple pass (which showed the correct train time). He then said it must be a faulty bar code. Whether he was reading his device incorrectly or whether it was displaying incorrect information I cannot say.
I think calling it a faulty barcode is a rather bold statement for the inspector to make!

From a technical perspective it is an interesting one - walks are an interesting case, and it's a tad ambiguous. However on re-reading it all, I think the implementation is correct to encode 12:49. I think it's the Apple Wallet ticket that's potentially dodgy saying 13:05. I do think that as @MrJeeves posted above, the newer style itineraries make this clearer and hopefully they'd be happier with that style on the PDF. I've helpfully changed my mind immediately after posting. The official answer is ambiguous, and the below definitely still applies, but I'm inclined to change the implementation to ignore the "walk" mode only.

I don't know which scanning app EMR use, but on the most popular one at least the service ID (which is correct in your ticket) is at least as prominent as the depart time, and really that should have immediately been the end of it without needing to look at the PDF itinerary or the Apple Wallet ticket.
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
That could quite easily happen if you take a wrong turning coming out of the Eurostar area.
It happened to me and I missed a train. My first train was late due to Thameslink disruption.

A member of gateline staff was carefully checking though to make sure I wasn't trying it on. I could have made the train if I'd run, once I had taken a wrong turning but I chose not to run.

I do think when switching between trains at London St Pancras the connection time should be added to the walking time. After all it is the same station complex.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top