• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LMS Northern Counties Committee class U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodiam

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2025
Messages
111
Location
Kent, UK
I was just watching a YouTube video from the NRM about the NCC U2 class 440 "Dunluce Castle" in the Ulster Transport Museum. He observed that although superficially similar to the Midland/LMS 2P class, there were actually significant differences. I believe the 2Ps were rather uninspiring performers, possibly related to the design of the valve gear - certainly as compared with the somewhat similar Southern D1 and E1 classes. The U2 class was said to be well liked by drivers. Is any information available on the class's performance, particularly as compared with the Derby 2Ps?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
1 Jul 2024
Messages
187
Location
Derbyshire Dales
There are some very knowledgeable people haunt this site: (link to) Irish Railway Modeller. You'll have to sign up to ask questions, but they're a friendly lot.

I note that the 2Ps had Stephenson valve gear, the U2s Walschaerts, but I don't know how much design was Derby and how much North British. Perhaps they had longer travel valves? They also had wider fireboxes, thanks to the Irish 5'3" gauge.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,569
Location
Surrey
D L Smith wrote in warm terms about the work of the 2Ps on the old GSWR network, once the staff had got used to them. Though to put this in context, the range of modifications and "improvements" made to various classes had resulted in the GSWR's fleet being somewhat less than wonderful by 1923.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,028
Location
Up the creek
I had a look through a couple of books by R.M.Arnold and Russell Currie on the NCC and its locos, but couldn’t find much. Arnold’s books have a few vague comments on trips, but no detail; they don’t have an index, so I can’t be sure that I found everything, but I doubt there is anything of use hidden away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top