• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ljubljana - Villach - Vienna

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
I'm booked the route above on an OBB Ticket tomorrow:

Ljubljana 09:30 - Villach 11:07 - Train D212
Villach 11:14 - Vienna 1536 - Train RJ536

The first train is coming from Zagreb and could be late so I'm expecting to miss the tight 7 minute connection. I assume I'm allowed to get on the next available service to Vienna - the 12:13 IC Service? Would I need to speak to train manager or staff at Villach to get the ticket approved/signed?

I can't deciper the ticket apart from a note saying No Exchange / No Refund.

I spoke to an Information guy at the Ljubljana Station earlier and he suggested getting an earlier train around 07:30 but unsure whether this is even allowed on this ticket.

See attached.
 

Attachments

  • 20250821_165308.jpg
    20250821_165308.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
Strangely I can’t find anything about missed connections, but since you can take the next train if your booked one is cancelled - logic suggests that you can if an advertised connection is missed. If you can make yourself understood to the guard on the first train it might be worthwhile getting confirmation of the delay and missed connections.
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,456
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Couldn't find it either, but that apparently wasn't because of my search skills

For the OP: do note that there is zugbindung for both trains on your ticket, so taking an earlier train to Villach won't be allowed.
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
Couldn't find it either, but that apparently wasn't because of my search skills

For the OP: do note that there is zugbindung for both trains on your ticket, so taking an earlier train to Villach won't be allowed.
Thanks - the guy at Ljubljana was very helpful but maybe not fully aware of any ticket restrictions. I didn't have my ticket with me at the time so possible he thought I was just going to turn up and buy a ticket tomorrow.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
If you miss the connection, you can indeed use the next one. AFAIK there's no need to get an endorsement, but it doesn't hurt. The ticket remains valid, no need to exchange it.
If you have a reservation, then you can get it rebooked free of charge at the ticket office. In case of delay at your destination, you can request compensation: 25% from 1 hour, 50% from 2 hours. The connecting train will normally wait a few minutes if there's a small delay.
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
Thanks all! Is there an equivalent European Version of Real Time Trains or National Rail Arrivals and Departures?
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
As expected the connection at Villach was missed. Ticket office sorted the change and new Seat Reservation was issued for the 12:13 to Vienna. Thanks for all the help!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

29,90 eur is a great price for this journey!
Yes - bought online a few months ago! Last week I tried to book online Zagreb - Ljubljana but realised I had no way of printing the ticket (OBB require you to print it) it would have been 25 Euros plus 3.50 Euros Seat Reservation. So I went to Zagreb Station the day before and the ticket office issued me a ticket for 9 Euros plus 3.50 Euros Seat Reservation!
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
Yes - bought online a few months ago! Last week I tried to book online Zagreb - Ljubljana but realised I had no way of printing the ticket (OBB require you to print it) it would have been 25 Euros plus 3.50 Euros Seat Reservation. So I went to Zagreb Station the day before and the ticket office issued me a ticket for 9 Euros plus 3.50 Euros Seat Reservation!
AFAIK there's actually no requirement to print it, and ÖBB just have a blanket statement for any international ticket or reservation to print it, just to be sure. But in reality, you can even buy it in the ÖBB app, to be used in that app.
But as so often, the actual operators (Croatian and Slovenian railways) have a much cheaper offer, unfortunately not available online (yet?).
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
539
Location
Hawarden
AFAIK there's actually no requirement to print it, and ÖBB just have a blanket statement for any international ticket or reservation to print it, just to be sure. But in reality, you can even buy it in the ÖBB app, to be used in that app.
But as so often, the actual operators (Croatian and Slovenian railways) have a much cheaper offer, unfortunately not available online (yet?).
I read that OBB domestic tickets can be used from the app or electronic PDF copies but not International Tickets. Maybe a grey area. I'm very old school so always print my tickets in case I lose my phone!
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,456
Location
Amersfoort, NL
I once had a fellow passenger in a shared Nightjet sleeper cabin who had his ticket in the ÖBB app. That wasn't a problem, the sleeping car attendant just took a photo of the ticket with his phone to make ticket inspection during the night easier.

Presume the statement on ÖBB tickets is mainly meant to enable guards in (eastern and southern) neighboring countries to physically stamp the ticket instead after checking should they be unable to scan them. Towards Germany it would not make much sense to require printing an ÖBB e-ticket while a German e-ticket in the app is perfectly fine, it's both a QR code.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top