• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liz Truss and the Conservative Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosopher

Established Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
1,513
If you feel a little uneasy about this budget, you may be entirely missing the truly epic scale of how wrong it is
After this budget, I would not be surprised if the government will ultimately one day be forced to request an IMF bailout.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,445
Location
London
What I don't understand is why conservatives don't care about debt nowadays. The same applies to the Republicans in the US, who are also quite happy to borrow to pay for tax cuts. The proper conservatives are in mainland Europe, who consider balancing the books to be very important. Supposedly "tax and spend" orientated countries like the Netherlands and Denmark have AAA ratings from S&P, whereas the UK and US don't.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I think it's ideological. Ms Truss and her followers genuinely believe that if you make a tax cut for the wealthier, they will go around starting world beating industries, employing lots of people.

Of course, one or two may well do, but enough to off-set the public borrowing to pay for the tax cut ? Personally, I doubt it.
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
I’ve spoken to a few conservatives today. None of them think this was sensible! (They are all economists though).

You can count me as a (currently) conservative voter who thinks the whole thing is appalling. The only sensible bits of it were the cut in stamp duty (a destructive tax that harms mobility and IMO really needs to be removed altogether), and a small thing that's largely escaped attention: A hint that the effective ban on on-shore windfarms that we've had for a few years will be scrapped. Everything else about it just strikes me as utterly irresponsible fantasy-accounting.

On a totally separate note, have Labour and the LibDems said anything positive about the reversal of the NI increase? I hope they will have done, since they were so against the increase when it was brought in.
 

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2019
Messages
8,037
Location
Surrey
I don’t often comment on political matters on these pages. But this budget is just wrong.

Kwarteng is a very, very clever man; I’ve met him. I really don’t understand how removing the 45% top rate, can be seen as anything but rewarding the rich. He must know that.

more importantly, it is clear that there is a big question mark over how this is all to be funded. The markets have spoken, and the Treasury will be very spooked (Or, potentially, preparing a “told you so, Chancellor” note).
Thats why he's ditched the permanent secretary so there is no internal pushback. He's also got Bailey in his back pocket meeting him twice weekly to make sure interest rate rises are tempered. They will be quite happy with a lower pound as it will help our exports and they claim credit for that.
 

TrainGeekUK

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2019
Messages
124
Back to the days of Thatcher…. Rich get richer and the poor are booted into oblivion and poverty.
The combined Truss and Kwarteng ideas will render the £ to dust.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,727
Location
Scotland
Is there a chance of the pound sterling actually falling below the US Dollar?
I'd be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen before the end of the year. The US government is run by adults and is enacting sensible policies, ours is an asylum run by the patients.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,538
Location
Taunton or Kent
Thats why he's ditched the permanent secretary so there is no internal pushback. He's also got Bailey in his back pocket meeting him twice weekly to make sure interest rate rises are tempered. They will be quite happy with a lower pound as it will help them rake it in from currency betting and fire sales of UK assets.
Fixed that for you.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
Given that Ms Truss is, by all accounts*, a politician who seeks to be popular by doing things that are popular with her electorate, has she completely misjudged this, or is there a whole part of the population that thinks this ‘budget’ is a great thing but are keeping mysteriously silent that about it?

I’ve spoken to lots of people today, across the political spectrum and social spectrum, and not one of them thinks this ‘budget’ is a good one.

*including my account, from when I’ve met her.
I think that too many people believe everything they are told by the Torygraph/Express/Mail/Scum, etc.

I wonder what excuse they will find for not increasing pensions at the full rate of inflation from next April ??
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,903
I'd be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen before the end of the year. The US government is run by adults and is enacting sensible policies, ours is an asylum run by the patients.
I think it largely depends if the Fed keep cranking up their interest rates faster than the BoE do. The dollar is the world’s reserve currency, so people flock to it in troubled times. The current exchange rates largely reflect dollar strength, the dollar index which compares against a basket of currencies is at a 20 year high. Before today, the Pound and the Euro had fallen by a similar amount against the Dollar (12/13%). Today the Pound fell 3.6% and the Euro fell 1.5%, taking it back below parity.
 

Perthsaint

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2022
Messages
75
Location
Leith
I think it largely depends if the Fed keep cranking up their interest rates faster than the BoE do. The dollar is the world’s reserve currency, so people flock to it in troubled times. The current exchange rates largely reflect dollar strength, the dollar index which compares against a basket of currencies is at a 20 year high. Before today, the Pound and the Euro had fallen by a similar amount against the Dollar (12/13%). Today the Pound fell 3.6% and the Euro fell 1.5%, taking it back below parity.
It could be this. But it isn't. It's brexit.
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
I think it largely depends if the Fed keep cranking up their interest rates faster than the BoE do. The dollar is the world’s reserve currency, so people flock to it in troubled times. The current exchange rates largely reflect dollar strength, the dollar index which compares against a basket of currencies is at a 20 year high. Before today, the Pound and the Euro had fallen by a similar amount against the Dollar (12/13%). Today the Pound fell 3.6% and the Euro fell 1.5%, taking it back below parity.
I think the BoE should have raised intrest rates by 0.75 yesterday the markets had been expecting it but the BoE seemed too slow again.
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
It could be this. But it isn't. It's brexit.

Ah yes, of course. Because Brexit is single-handedly responsible for every evil in the World, isn't it!

The other day, a fox poo'd in my garden and I had to deal with it. I guess that was caused by Brexit too. :rolleyes:
 

Perthsaint

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2022
Messages
75
Location
Leith
Ah yes, of course. Because Brexit is single-handedly responsible for every evil in the World, isn't it!

The other day, a fox poo'd in my garden and I had to deal with it. I guess that was caused by Brexit too. :rolleyes:
Brexit is responsible for the things brexit is responsible for. Like the erosion of sterling.

I've no idea what the rest of your dribble means.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,538
Location
Taunton or Kent
It could be this. But it isn't. It's brexit.
It's neoliberalism (which also indirectly caused Brexit as the system's failures caused dissatisfaction among voters who saw Brexit as change from the status quo that wasn't working for them). The budget we've just had is the most neoliberal budget this country has ever had for that matter.
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,903
Not really, no. Brexit is causing the UK economy to falter permanently which is causing the fall in sterling.
So what’s causing the fall in the euro against the dollar then? Are their economies also faltering permanently?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top