DarloRich
Veteran Member
She is susceptible to blunders.although if that was a definite blunder it may indicate she's susceptible to other blunders in future in more political matters.
She is susceptible to blunders.although if that was a definite blunder it may indicate she's susceptible to other blunders in future in more political matters.
I agree. It was also a relief that Boris wasn't doing the speech !I think she handled last nights speach following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II exceptionally well, considering it was only her third day in office. She handled it like a Statesperson, something Boris Johnson wouldn't have done.
I disagree with the vast majority of her political views but I am rather relieved that we've once again got a Prime Minister who recognises the importance of the role, in the same way as Theresa May, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher and many other past Prime Ministers did.
She did, however, fund it in a right-wing manner - rather than tax the unplanned, unexpected excess profits of the energy companies she is seeking to fund it through borrowing on the commercial markets.So far, her only real action has been to fund £100bn+ to help people with a cost-of-living crisis. Whilst things may change, that's not what I'd call "right wing". We also have an extremely diverse Cabinet. Perhaps we should give her a chance?
I think she handled last nights speach following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II exceptionally well, considering it was only her third day in office. She handled it like a Statesperson, something Boris Johnson wouldn't have done.
Yes, it was so disappointingly pallid; delivered haltingly, lacking any real eloquence, and clumsy in its attempt at boosterism. It was well-handled only inasmuch as something more florid and self-aggrandising would probably have been worse.I must say the statement Truss made yesterday about the Queen was made in the manner of a failing primary school head teacher addressing a school assembly. She is an awful public speaker and she has no ability to put emphasis on words in a sentence. it was awful.
It probably seemed a lot better to me than it actually was after three years of Boris Johnson!The text was fine although I wouldn't go as far as your gushing tribute. The delivery was terrible. Almost monotone and lacking emphasis.
fair point - his statement was read out on the TV. sigh.It probably seemed a lot better to me than it actually was after three years of Boris Johnson!
It seems she wants to continue to court the hard-right, xenophobic vote because, in my view, she believes the best path to doing relatively well in the election is to forge an alliance of the blue-rinse lot, the tax-cut brigade and the anti-immigrant lot. The first two alone will probably not be sufficient, therefore a continuation of anti-foreigner rhetoric is, it seems, necessary to achieve some degree of success.Oh and her diplomatic skills are sorely lacking; we've achieved Brexit, is it really necessary to keep on picking pointless fights with our neighbours?
I think Truss has done pretty well so far and her chances of winning an election may be a lot better than many expect. Unfortunately her policies are potentially more right wing than Johnson's, so if she is as she claims better at delivery than him we will see changes that will make the UK more authoritarian, more xenophobic and introverted, more divided within itself, less tolerant and even further from being the model of free democratic principles that it still claims to be.
The appointment that really makes my hair stand on end is Jacob Rees-Mogg to BEIS. I don't think he is exactly a climate change denier - he just doesn't understand the problem and is pretty sure it won't affect the Rees-Mogg dynasty, so who cares. And Gournay Court is well above sea level.
Guardian said:Liz Truss has appointed the Conservative MP Chris Skidmore to lead a review of net zero, to find the most efficient and fastest ways to reach the climate target.
The former energy and climate minister has been given until the end of the year to present his findings to the prime minister.
Skidmore, who chairs the environment all-party parliamentary group, has been campaigning for his party to take the issue of net zero more seriously. He said: “I am delighted to have been invited by the PM to conduct the review. It’s essential government delivers net zero, and does so in a way that is pro-business and pro-growth. I’m looking forward to getting started.”
She did, however, fund it in a right-wing manner - rather than tax the unplanned, unexpected excess profits of the energy companies she is seeking to fund it through borrowing on the commercial markets.
Exactly. That's my problem with it.
Make the energy companies contribute towards it, rather than leaving them untouched and giving the country eye-watering debts.
Truss’ speech was awkward and unstatesperson-like and far poorer an effort than Johnson would have managed.I think she handled last nights speach following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II exceptionally well, considering it was only her third day in office. She handled it like a Statesperson, something Boris Johnson wouldn't have done.
I disagree with the vast majority of her political views but I am rather relieved that we've once again got a Prime Minister who recognises the importance of the role, in the same way as Theresa May, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher and many other past Prime Ministers did.
I thought that Macron's was particularly well done, too, especially for being in the man's second language.Truss’ speech was awkward and unstatesperson-like and far poorer an effort than Johnson would have managed.
For all his myriad faults Johnson is good with language when he wants to be and his speech from the back benches in the Commons about HMQ was heartfelt and appropriate.
I thought that Macron's was particularly well done, too, especially for being in the man's second language.
Definitely much better than Truss' recent comment on the French head of state, as in, Macron.
Corrected your post for youOr Julia Hate-Brewer’s childish response to anything.
I know nothing about her, so she's starting from a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. She has another 2 years before the next election, so as long as she sorts out this mess we're in by then and doesn't make it even worse, then she'll probably get my vote in the next election. I watched her first PMQs yesterday and it was a competent and business-like performance. It was a relief not to have the grandstanding and showmanship that was Boris' take on PMQs.
Parliament is currently on course for 3 months with effectively no business happening, all while a cost of living crisis is at large. The summer and conference recesses are largely responsible, but now the Queen's passing has effectively made the 2 week sitting window part of that recess, as no business other than tributes and pledging allegiance to the new Monarch is happening. Really the conference recess needs to be scrapped, or at least significantly curtailed. Looking at the conference schedule all the main parties have had their conferences by early October, leaving around 2 weeks of the recess effectively for nothing.
The Lib Dem conference was cancelled as it coincided with the day of the Queen’s funeral.Although the Lib-Dems have apparently cancelled their conference, the others are (for the moment) going ahead: they are very profitable for the parties. Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, many Ministers have not yet been appointed, with those in the jobs ‘covering’, and the Treausury is rudderless after the removal of the most senior civil servant, which may delay the energy cap bill. Negotiations are apparently taking place about The Commons returning a week early, but there are fears that the government is hoping to push through the energy bill (and possibly others) without proper scrutiny. Advanced democracy, my...
Other than media coverage, is there any need for a physical conference at all?Other than media coverage, is there any practical reason why we need three weeks for conferences?
Other than media coverage, is there any practical reason why we need three weeks for conferences? Couldn't they squash them into two? I don't think it would be a big issue if they overlapped, the only impact would be on media coverage.
Other than media coverage, is there any need for a physical conference at all?
The message/text was fine. The delivery was not.her message in her speech about the Queen was reasonable.
Truss is weird. I would not describe Charles as awkward but perhaps repressed. I think he want to emote and open himself up more but his training/education Perhaps as King he will feel comfortable being more expressive or "authentic"Truss is very weird. King Charles - whom I like but is perhaps Britain’s most awkward man - was made to look the epitome of cool and charm as he welcomed PM Truss the day after his mother’s passing.
Parliament is currently on course for 3 months with effectively no business happening, all while a cost of living crisis is at large. The summer and conference recesses are largely responsible, but now the Queen's passing has effectively made the 2 week sitting window part of that recess, as no business other than tributes and pledging allegiance to the new Monarch is happening. Really the conference recess needs to be scrapped, or at least significantly curtailed. Looking at the conference schedule all the main parties have had their conferences by early October, leaving around 2 weeks of the recess effectively for nothing.
The kind of large venues that you need to book to hold party conferences in generally have to be booked months in advance - you can't rearrange them at a few days notice. I don't know the details of how the LibDems made their arrangements, but I'm going to hazard a guess that by cancelling their conference at such short notice, they're going to lose a lot of money in booking fees (To be fair, they probably didn't have a lot of choice).
I agree they are beneficial and worth keeping. When they had to be done virtually for Covid reasons, they weren't very good.Gives party members a chance to meet up and do in-person networking with other people from across the country, which will be quite important to a lot of people, as well as the chance for them to see senior party people speaking in person. So I'd say, yes, there is a need for them if you want to keep the membership engaged.