• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Northampton via Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLJon

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
7
Hello,

I'm planning a trip from Liverpool to Northampton and wanted to break my journey in Birmingham, heading to Dudley Port for the night. I'll be going to Northampton the following day and returning to Liverpool the day after that.

I was thinking of buying an off-peak return from Liverpool to Northampton, going via Birmingham New Street, and buying two singles to Dudley Port (for that day and going back to New Street the day after) - but I just wanted to check if these tickets would be valid for the journey I had planned?

Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Break of journey is not permitted on the outward portion of the LDN MIDLAND ONLY (£34) ticket. This is fine on the Via Long Buckby (£57.60) or Any Permitted (£68.90) fares. It is not classed as a break of journey to stay in overnight accommodation if you cannot reasonably complete your journey on the day (but that does not apply to your situation).

For the outward portion of Off-Peak Returns, an overnight stay is permitted only in the aforementioned circumstances. It used to be the case that you could choose whether to have an overnight stay, and we were assured when this wording was revised in 2011 this facility was not intended to be removed. Most guards I believe would still accept a ticket after an overnight stay, however you might have problems at gatelines.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Hello,

I'm planning a trip from Liverpool to Northampton and wanted to break my journey in Birmingham, heading to Dudley Port for the night. I'll be going to Northampton the following day and returning to Liverpool the day after that.

I was thinking of buying an off-peak return from Liverpool to Northampton, going via Birmingham New Street, and buying two singles to Dudley Port (for that day and going back to New Street the day after) - but I just wanted to check if these tickets would be valid for the journey I had planned?

Thanks in advance!

You'd be going through Dudley Port on your journey anyway, so no need to make separate journeys from Birmingham, you can just change at Wolverhampton onto a stopping service from Platform 5.

If you took the 2134 (weekdays) from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham, this calls at Dudley Port, and as you wouldn't be able to complete your journey to Northampton at this time, it would be perfectly reasonable to break your journey at Dudley Port to resume it from there the following morning.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top