• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool St. gateline silliness

WestAnglian

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2021
Messages
157
Location
Bishop's Stortford
I had a single from Heathrow to Bishop's Stortford yesterday. As I walked from the Elizabeth Line at Liverpool Street I was about to walk past the Broadgate exit then changed my mind. I wanted to visit the M&S at the station and decided that it would be just as quick to use that exit as the alternative was fighting through the conflicting flows in the main ticket hall and NR concourse. I was surprised that the barrier rejected my ticket. I was allowed through reluctantly by a man who repeated as a mantra that it was quicker to just continue and turn left. If I'd been going directly to my platform he was right, but the time difference must be very small indeed.

Can anyone come up with a logical reason why TfL don't want me to use a much quieter exit to leave the EL part of the station rather than the main ticket hall?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,478
Location
London
I had a similar issue with a cross-London ticket being rejected for entry at the EL gateline at Moorgate, having walked there from Liverpool Street for much the same reason.

The member of staff let me through without comment though.
 

Top