• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool - Reading ticketing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Hello all, was wondering if you could assist with finding any cheaper splitting or ticket combination. The journey is Liverpool - Reading, leave Friday afternoon return Sunday afternoon. There is a need to be flexible, so Advance tickets are out of the question.

All prices shown are 16-25 discounted.

LIV - RDG SVR £45.00.

Splitting at Wolves;
LIV - WVH SVR £18.80
WVH - RDG SVR £27.80; total £46.60

Splitting at Banbury

LIV - BAN £29.20
BAN - RDG - £12.75; total £41.95

Any thoughts on a split? Cheers for any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Cheapest option might be to utilise London Midland Super Off Peak Returns to somewhere near London.

Liverpool Stns - London Terminals Super Off Peak Return Route London Midland Only Y-P £15.85
London Terminals - Reading Off Peak Return Route Any Permitted Y-P £14.40

Total: £30.25 plus transfer in Lodon
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
you can use it to Rugby, then change at Birmingham (on the way back from Rugby ;) ).
Then from Spring Road to Banbury, and Banbury to Reading would could come to about £32 also.

The cheapest route, I think, would be a super-off-peak to Rugby, and a super-off-peak Birmingham to Ascot route High Wycombe. But this would be quite slow.

I prefer to travel via London - a ticket to Bracknell is £48.25.
 

mickey

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
734
I don't have the time to look into specific times but I have often travelled this route by buying LM tickets to Brum/Rugby (as above), then Chiltern to Banbury, then XC for the rest. Mine was to Oxford but Reading would work too. Interestingly I only ever had to do this after Arriva took over XC and fares shot up - the point was to spend as little time as possible on XC. I could have got it even cheaper going via Bicester (FGW) but decided it just wasn't worth the extra time.

EDIT: I've just noticed you want Sunday, when Chiltern advances are usually not available. Sorry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top