Trainfan344
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Oct 2012
- Messages
- 2,305
If the service gets split at Nottingham are they at least making it a half hourly Norwich to Nottingham service? As it is the only direct train from Norwich to the ECML at Peterborough
I was not aware of any plans to increase the frequency of EMR services to Norwich.If the service gets split at Nottingham are they at least making it a half hourly Norwich to Nottingham service? As it is the only direct train from Norwich to the ECML at Peterborough
Journey times are only 10-20 minutes quicker for a journey of over 5 hours from Liverpool to Norwich via London against direct, but will usually cost more than twice as much. That's the case for tomorrow.
But won't most journeys from Manchester/Sheffield to Peterborough (and further east) be quicker or the same via a change at Doncaster?In any case, this is all a bit irrelevant as the arguments that the Liverpool - Norwich service is slower than via London and thus a bit pointless are a red herring, because that's not the only journey people do on that service. It maybe true that Liverpool or Warrington to Norwich is quicker via London but for all the other pairs of stops it isn't (although it's an earlier arrival from Manchester or Stockport if you've just missed one). There are busy flows from Manchester and Sheffield to Peterborough and Ely that cross Nottingham but are not quicker via London.
I'm confused by what you mean. It is only hourly now from Norwich-Peterborough. Why does it need to double just because it's being split?If the service gets split at Nottingham are they at least making it a half hourly Norwich to Nottingham service? As it is the only direct train from Norwich to the ECML at Peterborough
Yes. Sheffield to Grantham is 1h 6m changing at Doncaster and 1h30m direct via Nottingham, with similar numbers to places further east. I don't know where that time goes but it means I barely use the route despite regularly doing Sheffield - East Anglia. (And on the topic of price, my general experience is that Advances on the ECML are cheaper than those on the East Midlands service).But won't most journeys from Manchester/Sheffield to Peterborough (and further east) be quicker or the same via a change at Doncaster?
Also if price is the concern the current route will still be doable easily just with a change at Nottingham.
If the service gets split at Nottingham are they at least making it a half hourly Norwich to Nottingham service? As it is the only direct train from Norwich to the ECML at Peterborough
8.47 £171.00 single via London 2 changes arriving 13.50 Journey time 5:03 Hopefully 30 minutes at Liverpool Street for a break and better catering on mainline trains
8.52 £48.40 single direct arriving 14.13 Journey time 5:21 All on one train with limited catering
8.56 £107.10 single via Leeds and Peterborough arriving 14.13 (same train) Journey time 5:19 with time for half hour breaks at both
3 options each hour with maximum 22 minutes difference in total journey time, but big differences in fares.
I agree, 5 hours on a 158 going, literally, backwards and forwards (reverses at Sheffield and Ely) might push me to the via Leeds option. The price would deter me from via London.
Interesting examples.
But worth pointing out to some others on the thread that not all demand is central Liverpool/central Manchester to central Norwich. If you're starting off in Runcorn or Stockport, or going to Ipswich or Cambridge then things are nothing like as clear cut. Just because the messy combination of BR journeys have evolved into the current service which is (just) Liverpool to (just) Norwich doesn't mean that those are the only two pairs with the biggest demand - it's been as much about operational convenience as anything else.
Fresh air in Central London and on the tube???But consider it's 5-odd hours on a single direct train with limited catering or other facilities.
Or 4-odd hours spread on two trains (plus a Tube) with opportunity for fresh air, a leg stretch and a sandwich/coffee in London. For such a length of journey, that can be appealing.
Fresh air in Central London and on the tube???
I would much rather sit back and relax with a book, some music and a decent packed lunch on a class 158 enjoying the varied countryside between the North West and Norfolk. Not to mention being over £50 better off in the pocket!
Which ever route is taken are there actually that many people from the Manchester/Liverpool going to Ely/Norwich?
Which ever route is taken are there actually that many people from the Manchester/Liverpool going to Ely/Norwich?
Anyone aware of how plans to split the Liverpool - Norwich service at Nottingham are progressing?
I ask because of an article on the Derby Live website on 31 October 2019 regarding Pear Tree station; it claimed that EMR are considering stopping more trains at the station, and that these would establish direct services to Nottingham and Newark with effect from December 2020. This fits in with the report in September's 'Modern Railways' which declares (on page 58) that the Crewe - Derby service would be extended through to Nottingham and Newark with the timetable change in that month, but that the splitting of the Norwich - Liverpool service at Nottingham would not take effect until December 2021; the 'Modern Railways' article also indicates that EMR are reconsidering their initial plan to extend the Norwich - Nottingham leg to Matlock, and terminate it at Derby instead
That causes other problems. The Matlock service would need another hourly path between Derby and Nottingham (possibly justifiable by passenger numbers but is there the capacity or the stock?) or be cut back to Derby (very inefficient use of stock if the service remains hourly, as a round trip can't reliably be done in an hour). Or run Matlock-Newark as now and keep the Crewe terminating at Derby, which keeps the unattractive change at Derby for people off that line wanting Nottingham.I've also heard that Norwich - Nottingham won't be continued to Matlock. The chances of delays to the Derwent valley are too great.
Would it be possible to join the Matlock/Crewe services at Derby both running through to Newark?That causes other problems. The Matlock service would need another hourly path between Derby and Nottingham (possibly justifiable by passenger numbers but is there the capacity or the stock?) or be cut back to Derby (very inefficient use of stock if the service remains hourly, as a round trip can't reliably be done in an hour). Or run Matlock-Newark as now and keep the Crewe terminating at Derby, which keeps the unattractive change at Derby for people off that line wanting Nottingham.
I think my personal preference would be Crewe-Nottingham, Matlock-Newark (or vice versa to optimize unit utilisation) and turn the Norwich back at Nottingham. But even after the 2013 remodeling platform capacity at Nottingham could be an issue.
Maybe in principle, but the split/join would need extra time and a risk of disruption if one of the joining portions is delayed. Perhaps more importantly, you would need to run four cars all the way from Derby to Newark, needing more units and unlikely to be worthwhile for the number of passengers. Leaving the financials aside, I get the impression EMR has scoured the country for spare 170s and if they need any more they would have to be another class and they would lose the benefit of a uniform fleet. Or go back to single cars on Matlock and Crewe turns, which would be heavily overcrowded for most of the day.Would it be possible to join the Matlock/Crewe services at Derby both running through to Newark?
I doubt it’s ever been “officially stated”, given the change of operator is still to be decided. Logical it may be, and I guess many posters assume TPE would keep all the fleet; but that’s about it AFAICT.I could've been dreaming but was it stated that TPE were keeping the entire fleet of 185s now? That would make sense for the operator and depot most familiar with said units to keep hold of them on the Liverpool - Nottingham work?
I think my personal preference would be Crewe-Nottingham, Matlock-Newark (or vice versa to optimize unit utilisation) and turn the Norwich back at Nottingham. But even after the 2013 remodeling platform capacity at Nottingham could be an issue.
As I think I pointed out several pages back, the turnaround at Crewe is very short. Unless the timetable could be changed to increase it (difficult due to interactions with several other services), Norwich-Crewe would be a good deal more unreliable than Norwich-Matlock.I'd prefer Norwich to Crewe and leave Matlock to Newark as it is now, unchanged (unfortunately it can't get to Lincoln).
As I think I pointed out several pages back, the turnaround at Crewe is very short. Unless the timetable could be changed to increase it (difficult due to interactions with several other services), Norwich-Crewe would be a good deal more unreliable than Norwich-Matlock.
Unless you could stay in a platform at Crewe for longer than one hour and step back?
Unless you could stay in a platform at Crewe for longer than one hour and step back?
You probably could, but I doubt EMR will have allowed for the extra unit that would need.I suppose trains could alternate between platforms 2 and 3 but it seems a waste of a unit if you don't do anything with it for over an hour.
As I think I pointed out several pages back, the turnaround at Crewe is very short. Unless the timetable could be changed to increase it (difficult due to interactions with several other services), Norwich-Crewe would be a good deal more unreliable than Norwich-Matlock.
There is presumably a path as far as Derby because that was planned for the Norwich-Matlock. I'm more concerned about Stoke-Kidsgrove and the single line on the approach to Crewe itself. These days connections between TOCs are a bonus if they are possible but I doubt there are more than a handful countrywide that are considered essential in timetable planning, especially as there's nothing to stop the other TOC changing its own timetable and undoing all the hard work.Norwich-Crewe would require timetables to be changed. I can’t see the timetable between Nottingham and Norwich being changed too drastically because of fitting in with paths on the ECML between Grantham and Peterborough. Also reasonable connections with the Nottingham to Liverpool service ought to be maintained in Nottingham.
I would think that Nottingham to Crewe, with reversal at Derby, would take a maximum of 1 hour 50 minutes. If current timings are maintained between Nottingham and Norwich that would require complete new timings for Derby to Crewe and I estimate a minimum of 20 minutes turn around at Crewe. But could that be done because of pathing between Nottingham and Derby and also between Derby and Crewe. I am not sure how different arrival and departure times at Crewe would cause problems with onward connections.
Fresh air in Central London and on the tube???
I would much rather sit back and relax with a book, some music and a decent packed lunch on a class 158 enjoying the varied countryside between the North West and Norfolk. Not to mention being over £50 better off in the pocket!
Finally, any news as to when the operator of the Nottingham - Liverpool service will be known? And has EMR been invited to operate it as a stand-alone service?