• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime Street to Cleethropes off-peak day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Hi again,

Is it possible to break the journey at Sheffield, Doncaster or Grimsby either on the outbound or return leg, with a £42.20 off-peak day return from Liverpool Lime Street to Cleethorpes, on a Saturday?

If so, then are there currently ticket barriers at Sheffield, Doncaster or Grimsby. I haven't been to these stations for about ten years or so. Would any ticket barriers give me my ticket back?

As always, thanks again for any relevant info, Cheers!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Ticket barriers only usually return your ticket if you have not finished with it. If you've reached the final destination shown on your ticket then the barrier eats them up.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
Sheffield, Doncaster and Grimsby don't have ticket barriers.

Avantix says:

Break of journey is not permitted except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Thanks both for the useful replies.

I knew that there were some exceptions to being allowed to break your journey.

So it seems this route is one of them then. Indeed, I'm glad I asked this here now. Cheers. :D
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
There should be no problem with you breaking your journey at Sheffield and Doncaster - its quite plausible that you could change trains at those locations.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
Is it possible to break the journey at Sheffield, Doncaster or Grimsby either on the outbound or return leg, with a £42.20 off-peak day return from Liverpool Lime Street to Cleethorpes, on a Saturday?
Avantix says:

Break of journey is not permitted except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities.
That quotation applies to the outward leg only:
National Fares Manual NFM 06 CD said:
Origin : LIVERPOOL STNS
Destination : CLEETHORPES
Route : ANY PERMITTED
SVR : OFF-PEAK RETURN
£42.20
Restriction : 8A
Available as listed below on any day.

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid on any train.
Break of journey is not permitted except to change trains at an intermediate station or to access station facilities.

RETURN TRAVEL
Valid on any train.
Note that the £42.20 ticket is not an off-peak day return but an off-peak return, valid a month. For a Saturday day trip, a combination of shorter off-peak day returns would be cheaper.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Thanks very much for the further replies and for taking the time to look this up, I really appreciate it.

I may possibly be going to Cleethorpes this Saturday. Depending on how things pan out I may have an hour or two spare in the late afternoon on the way back and I thought it'd be nice to grab some photos somewhere else on the return leg (probably Sheffield city centre) as I haven't been there for ages.

I'll see how it goes on the day, but with this further info I may well try that now.

Thanks for the ticket info too - yes I'd initially failed to notice that the ticket was in fact an open return. Agree with the advice to purchase day returns instead for this one. Cheers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top