• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool James Street station query

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
At James Street station all passengers have to use a lift to access the platforms.

What would be the situation in the case of a fire? Usually in the event of a fire you are advised not to use lifts and where a fire alarm is installed the lifts are usually programmed to return to ground level and remain there with the doors opened.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
There is the passage and stairs to Water Street, which are available as an emergency exit when not open to the public. I imagine there will also be a set of emergency stairs somewhere.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
It'll have emergency stairs like the lift-only LU stations
 

John55

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2011
Messages
800
Location
South East
At James Street station all passengers have to use a lift to access the platforms.

What would be the situation in the case of a fire? Usually in the event of a fire you are advised not to use lifts and where a fire alarm is installed the lifts are usually programmed to return to ground level and remain there with the doors opened.

Both James St and Hamilton Square (in Birkenhead) have access to the street via a subway. The one at James St is open during peak hours M-F and has a ticket office at the entrance in Water St for normal use. At Hamilton Square the subway comes out in Shore Rd and is easy to spot if you walk past but is now only used as an emergency exit. I had never heard of the one at Hamilton Square being used until fairly recently when a profound electrical failure stopped operation of the lifts and people were let out via Shore Rd.

Both of these exits are available as fire exits at all times. I believe there are stairs internal to the buildings but with a rise of 100 or 90 ft these are not very suitable for emergency exits.
 

Green Lane

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
334
Location
Birkenhead, Merseyside
I had never heard of the one at Hamilton Square being used until fairly recently when a profound electrical failure stopped operation of the lifts and people were let out via Shore Rd.

I remember using the one at Hamilton square sometime around 10 years ago or so. I think it was an electrical failure back then too.

I did not even know the passage existed until that incident.

Back then I used to work late evenings in Liverpool and as I recall I was on my way home and it was around 10pm on a cold Winter's evening. When I came out on to Shore Road, for a couple of minutes I honestly didn't know where I was. :D I just didn't have the familiarity with that locality that I have nowadays. I was also really surprised at reaching street level without seemingly having gone upwards very much. But of course, Shore Road, being nearer to the river is quite a bit lower down than Hamilton Square. If I remember rightly, the entire passage was tiled with really old-looking tiles, but it was so long ago, I can't exactly remember it that well. How unfortunate I never had any digital camera or phone back then!

Those were the days I very often used to use Hamilton Square, before most of the major bus routes in Birkenhead were diverted away from the Woodside bus station, and now instead use the Birkenhead bus station. Generally, it just doesn't make much sense for me to alight at Hamilton Square nowadays.

As for the James Street station Water Street entrance, I have walked past the doors on many occasions, but as it happens never at peak time. I always did wonder about those doors, since I've only ever seen them closed. Now you've answered my question. Next time I happen to get the train home from work, I might try going that way, to see what it's like. :D
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
There'd never be a Tragedy as they've got Steps. :P

And they are absolutely backbreaking :(

They are in the booking hall on the wall facing the lift doors, adjacent to the little booking office.
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
the water street entrance to james street is pretty arduous, its a hell of a ramp!
 

gottago

Member
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
61
There is another way up to ground at Hamilton Square without using the lifts. There's a set of stairs opposite the lifts that take ages to climb. They used to just be emergency stairs but last time I was there I noticed there was a sign suggesting it could be used as a regular exit. I accidently used it years ago and it got steadily more derelict looking as we got closer to ground! Also it lead out to Bridge Street rather than the booking hall, don't know if that's changed.

Where in the station is the access to the emergency ramp that leads to Bridge Street? I saw the exit to it open once and wasn't sure if it was for the trains or one of the road tunnels.
 

John55

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2011
Messages
800
Location
South East
There is another way up to ground at Hamilton Square without using the lifts. There's a set of stairs opposite the lifts that take ages to climb. They used to just be emergency stairs but last time I was there I noticed there was a sign suggesting it could be used as a regular exit. I accidently used it years ago and it got steadily more derelict looking as we got closer to ground! Also it lead out to Bridge Street rather than the booking hall, don't know if that's changed.

Where in the station is the access to the emergency ramp that leads to Bridge Street? I saw the exit to it open once and wasn't sure if it was for the trains or one of the road tunnels.

If you mean the exit to Shore Rd it is from the lower mezzanine floor or lift landing.

Why would there be an exit to the road tunnel from the railway station?
 

gottago

Member
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
61
If you mean the exit to Shore Rd it is from the lower mezzanine floor or lift landing.

Why would there be an exit to the road tunnel from the railway station?
I didn't say that, I said I wasn't sure if it was an emergency exit from the road tunnel or from the station.
 

John55

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2011
Messages
800
Location
South East
I didn't say that, I said I wasn't sure if it was an emergency exit from the road tunnel or from the station.

I am a little confused which exit/entrance are you talking about? Is it the one in Shore Road between the electricity supply point (former power station site) and the Great Northern/Great Central/Midland warehouse) or something inside the station which is how I read your post.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
the water street entrance to james street is pretty arduous, its a hell of a ramp!
Before the Mersey Railway loop was built the usual route to Liverpool Exchange to access what is now called the Northern Line was via the subway to Water Street. I'm pretty certain it was open at all times in those days.
 

gottago

Member
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
61
I am a little confused which exit/entrance are you talking about? Is it the one in Shore Road between the electricity supply point (former power station site) and the Great Northern/Great Central/Midland warehouse) or something inside the station which is how I read your post.
Sorry I meant I saw the exit of this passage open above ground on Shore Road and was unsure if it was for the road tunnel or rail. I also was unsure where this passage actually began within the station itself.
 

John55

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2011
Messages
800
Location
South East
Sorry I meant I saw the exit of this passage open above ground on Shore Road and was unsure if it was for the road tunnel or rail. I also was unsure where this passage actually began within the station itself.

I now understand. The last time I wandered past the doors did have some notices "Network Rail Emergency Exit Do not obstruct" or words to that effect. Of course that doesn't help if they are open!

As an aside I did try to persuade someone that the pumping station in Mann Island, near James St, was a railway facility and it took ages to find any external sign admitting what it was. There is one but it is not easy to find!

I don't think the road tunnel was provided with pedestrian exits to street level. There is certainly engineering access but that is a different thing entirely. I suspect with 2 exits on each bank it was considered enough at the time. Things have moved on since.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top