• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Central toilets closing 15th Jan for 12 weeks for refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Saw this on Facebook a couple of days ago. Not sure if it has reached this forum but posting here in case it hasn't.

Not sure how to attach the photo, will give it a try but apologies if it goes wrong...

418855413_875419847917181_6506979818566083703_n.jpeg

Apparently we are to use James Street or Lime Street if needed! Moorfields seems not to feature in availability either.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
There's one just behind the entrance area.

Actually this is being discussed elsewhere so please delete thread if possible.

 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
They ought to be getting a couple of portaloos in if this is the case.
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
They ought to be getting a couple of portaloos in if this is the case.
Or portillos. Now that M&S has relocated (and restricted the loos to café users) there are precious few alternative free facilities within easy reach. But I suppose we can survive for a couple of weeks.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
My first pass through Central today since the closure, and noticed that the Disabled toilet is also gated off out of service.

Not good at all. Luckily I was heading for Lime Street. Expected a long queue but there’s hardly anyone around today for some reason.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,431
My first pass through Central today since the closure, and noticed that the Disabled toilet is also gated off out of service.

Not good at all. Luckily I was heading for Lime Street. Expected a long queue but there’s hardly anyone around today for some reason.
Loogate strikes again.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I'm guessing the Northern and TPE strikes.
Ah, I didn’t think of that.

And as for Chester, toilets also being refurbed. A few grotty portaloos behind the Costa (or whatever it is), only one of them in use, one disabled unit padlocked shut.

This country seems to think toilet facilities are a luxury not a necessity.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
And as for Chester, toilets also being refurbed. A few grotty portaloos behind the Costa (or whatever it is), only one of them in use, one disabled unit padlocked shut.

The ones on the island platform are nicer. Well, less unpleasant.

This country seems to think toilet facilities are a luxury not a necessity.

Yes, and it's a disgrace. Nothing I can think of discriminates against more protected characteristics* in one go than non-provision or poor provision of public toilet facilities. It should be a statutory duty in places to which the public have access, and for local authorities, to provide clean, safe public toilets open for good hours, staffed if necessary.

* Age: older people tend to need to "go" more often, as do kids. Sex: men can easily "use a bush", far more so than women. Disability: people with things like Crohn's need toilets urgently.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
But you get arrested if you wet yourself in the street .

You don't. Public urination isn't in the UK a specific offence.

It can be prosecuted as indecent exposure IF you're not subtle about it, or some Councils treat it as littering because it leaves behind a stain or smell (though there's a lack of legal precedent on this), but TBH I'd pay a 50 quid non-criminal fixed penalty over wetting myself.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
Update - Disabled toilet now open at Central. I guess there must have been complaints.
I was very glad to find the radar key toilet open to all at Barking a couple of weeks ago while the general use toilets were being refurbished. This should be general practice.
 

Sheridan

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
638
The ones on the island platform are nicer. Well, less unpleasant.

Not recently they’re not, with the urinals fenced off due to apparent leaks, leaving one cubicle in the men’s. I’m sure the toilets on the main concourse will be nice when they’re finished but it seems to be taking an awfully long time.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
The ones on the island platform are nicer. Well, less unpleasant.

Was there today, only one cubicle in use in the Ladies. If you eliminate the portaloos which are decidedly nasty and for emergencies only, that leaves one Ladies facility for the entire Chester interchange. Which would be acceptable if it wasn't for the Merseyrail trains and their propensity for breaking down.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,885
Location
Liverpool, UK
Or portillos. Now that M&S has relocated (and restricted the loos to café users) there are precious few alternative free facilities within easy reach. But I suppose we can survive for a couple of weeks.
There are toilets in St Johns and Wetherspoons in Queen Square.
On Tuesday the toilet at Sandhills was locked and the RADAR key would not open the door.
And at South Parkway one of the two toilets at the Merseyrail entrance has been out of use for weeks due to a broken lock.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Was there today, only one cubicle in use in the Ladies. If you eliminate the portaloos which are decidedly nasty and for emergencies only, that leaves one Ladies facility for the entire Chester interchange. Which would be acceptable if it wasn't for the Merseyrail trains and their propensity for breaking down.

Those portaloos aren't brilliant I agree, but I was very glad for them on Tuesday night. I'd like to think after six months of being closed, the main concourse toilets can't be too far off being re-opened now. Hopefully the toilets on platforms 4 and 7 receive some attention afterwards, because they definitely need it.

Not free! There's also Bluecoat I suppose.

The nearby McDonalds is the closest, I used it a couple of times before deciding to board/alight at Lime Street instead.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Those portaloos aren't brilliant I agree, but I was very glad for them on Tuesday night. I'd like to think after six months of being closed, the main concourse toilets can't be too far off being re-opened now. Hopefully the toilets on platforms 4 and 7 receive some attention afterwards, because they definitely need it.

As a follow up to this, the concourse toilets at Chester have now re-opened. It's a good refurbishment, but there's no toilet seats (at least not in the gents) which isn't something I'm keen on.
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
As a follow up to this, the concourse toilets at Chester have now re-opened. It's a good refurbishment, but there's no toilet seats (at least not in the gents) which isn't something I'm keen on.
The toilets on platform 7 though now appear to have closed for refurbishment.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,988
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
The toilets on platform 7 though now appear to have closed for refurbishment.
About time too! Just a nuisance if you're hopping off or on a Merseyrail from 7B with a short connection. Also you have to leave the platforms concourse to access the main ones, although I believe the gates return tickets if they are not completed journeys.
 

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
The ones on the island platform are nicer. Well, less unpleasant.



Yes, and it's a disgrace. Nothing I can think of discriminates against more protected characteristics* in one go than non-provision or poor provision of public toilet facilities. It should be a statutory duty in places to which the public have access, and for local authorities, to provide clean, safe public toilets open for good hours, staffed if necessary.

* Age: older people tend to need to "go" more often, as do kids. Sex: men can easily "use a bush", far more so than women. Disability: people with things like Crohn's need toilets urgently.
Absolutely agree with you. Not many bushes in city centres though. I always find this country's interpretation of its own Equality Act disingenuous, on paper it's a great law, yet what we see with no need to prove ticketing error was deliberate rather than due to a disability, no requirement to provide free toilets for all including those in vulnerable groups (for toilets these may include pregnancy, Crohn's and anxiety disorders), I wonder whether it's all talk and no action.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
yet what we see with no need to prove ticketing error was deliberate rather than due to a disability
Not sure what this has to do with toilets, and I don't think I've read a case of a prosecution where someone was genuinely unable to purchase a ticket due to a disability.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
But you get arrested if you wet yourself in the street .
If someone has obviously had an accident, I can't imagine any police officer wanting the negative publicity of arresting the unfortunate individual. Even with some of the mad things individual officers have been caught on camera doing or saying in the last few years.
You don't. Public urination isn't in the UK a specific offence.

It can be prosecuted as indecent exposure IF you're not subtle about it, or some Councils treat it as littering because it leaves behind a stain or smell (though there's a lack of legal precedent on this), but TBH I'd pay a 50 quid non-criminal fixed penalty over wetting myself.
I must have imagined all those entries in the "Court in Brief" section of my local paper that listed people who had been fined specifically for 'Urinating in Public' then.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If someone has obviously had an accident, I can't imagine any police officer wanting the negative publicity of arresting the unfortunate individual. Even with some of the mad things individual officers have been caught on camera doing or saying in the last few years.

I must have imagined all those entries in the "Court in Brief" section of my local paper that listed people who had been fined specifically for 'Urinating in Public' then.

If you think it's a specific English offence please do feel free to post the link here to legislation.gov.uk.

It may well be a Byelaw in your locality, or alternatively that may be explanatory notes of a charge of either littering (which some Councils seem to use for it on the basis that it stains the pavement/road) or indecent exposure.
 

Steve Harris

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2016
Messages
1,204
Location
ECML
If you think it's a specific English offence please do feel free to post the link here to legislation.gov.uk.

It may well be a Byelaw in your locality, or alternatively that may be explanatory notes of a charge of either littering (which some Councils seem to use for it on the basis that it stains the pavement/road) or indecent exposure.
A quick Google search came up with this :

In the UK, public urination was made a criminal offence under the 1986 Public Order Act. Anyone found guilty of public urination may be fined for it.

And that quote can be found at https://www.jdspicer.co.uk/site/blog/crime-fraud/uk-indecent-exposure-laws-a-guide

It goes on to say :

However, it is not necessarily an example of indecent exposure. This is because, in many instances, it is unlikely that someone intends for their genitals to be exposed or to cause alarm or distress.

I've actually seen a woman get arrested for it ! Although the vibe I got was she was already known to the police (perhaps a rough sleeper).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top