• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Listening to Music whilst driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
It would make driving the train quite difficult if you could as there are various audible alarms that go off while you are driving that need cancelling.
 

Robcuk

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2014
Messages
114
Location
N Beds
Hi,

As a train driver is one allowed to listen to music whilst working? :)

Cheers,

Wes

You can here in Sydney and the newer trains have a car radio head unit fitted. Some drivers take mobile speakers with them and link them to there iPods.

The new trains automatically silence the music if alarms are sounded so if your listening to music via your own device you would have to keep the volume to a sensible level so that you can hear bell signals, alarms and the train radio.

Apparently it's a good way to manage your fatigue hence they install the head units in new trains and no they don't see it as a distraction.
 
Joined
24 Nov 2014
Messages
24
Good question. Can signallers listen to music or watch tv because I'd of thought theres less going on in a signalbox than in a train drivers cab most of the time?
 

Pepperami

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2013
Messages
248
Location
West Sussex
If your watching TV your not watching what's going on around you, I personally wouldn't listen to music or do anything else that could possibly distract me from the job

I know we all listen to music in the car and can all drive with that happening in the background but I'm not sure it's a good idea whilst driving a train
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Highly banned. Quite a few that do anyway.

With music playing, it's easier to concentrate for many people, as long as it's not too loud and not drowning out warning bells / tpws / dsd etc.

Very very naughty. Unless it's decent music :P
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
To be honest it is totally forbidden in the UK however these days management think that most incidents are caused by poor concentration and distraction in my opinion if music is going to distract a driver they shouldn't be in the seat in the first place, it is the same as waving at the signalman, some companies don't like a driver doing this as they think it is a distraction, in this case they need to look closely at their recruitment process and also their monitoring process and also be approachable enough for a driver to speak to them regarding any issues that may distract them from their duties. Music will not cause a distraction as far as I am concerned.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Good question. Can signallers listen to music or watch tv because I'd of thought theres less going on in a signalbox than in a train drivers cab most of the time?
TV's aren't allowed, but radios are now permitted in some boxes (none higher than grade 3?) subject to a risk assessment and, in a few cases, restrictions on the hours between which they can be used. Obviously there's an expectation that signalmen won't allow themselves to be distracted by the radio, that it'll be turned off if necessary and so on, but I really do think that it can help to maintain concentration during quieter periods.
 

WesC2014

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2014
Messages
14
Location
Greenwich, London
... in my opinion if music is going to distract a driver they shouldn't be in the seat in the first place,

Good point mate. Yeah I have just applied for a trainee driver role with the LOR, and was thinking some music would make the day to day work more fun.

I currently listen to music all day at work and don't have any issues with it interfering with my attention span...
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I currently listen to music all day at work and don't have any issues with it interfering with my attention span...
You have a vigilance and warning sounds going off frequently that you must respond to almost instantly?

If not, it's arguably not comparable.;)
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
Good point mate. Yeah I have just applied for a trainee driver role with the LOR, and was thinking some music would make the day to day work more fun.

I currently listen to music all day at work and don't have any issues with it interfering with my attention span...

I'm not sure it would work well in the LOROL scenario, it's such fast paced with short signalling sections, if anything you'll be wanting to use RTC in these areas, in fact when I've driven the North London line I found RTC to be areal help when you're just following other commuter trains. There's too much going on to allow yourself that distraction in my opinion. On the other hand when you're on a long run I think it could be useful, I tend to find I sing to myself to keep me going on a long run.
 

W230

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
1,217
I currently listen to music all day at work and don't have any issues with it interfering with my attention span...
Basically, you're going to have to accept that those days will go!

The only music you will get to hear is an array of beeps, bells and horns or maybe the sweet music of a beat boxing punter behind the cab door. :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top