• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of all the different online booking systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andi

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2009
Messages
8
Does anyone know the names of what booking systems certains ToC use for their online websites? I'm just looking for a bit more information on them all too, who they were built by and when they were launched, etc.

I know TheTrainline have their own, and that it's also used on a few TOCs such as TPE. CrossCountry and Virgin have their own specific ones too, I think?

The main one I'm interested in really is the one used by EastCoast and SouthernRailway, I think it's an absolutely excellent, but I can't find any information about it anywhere, at all.

I'm trying to convince people they should be using that one instead of TheTrainline, but I'd like to know a lot more facts about it first.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
VirginTrains booking system is thetrainline.com as far as I am aware. I had an email off them when a VirginTrains booking I made went wrong.
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
I couldn't find an exact replica of the Southeastern or East Coast systems but Evolvi do one that works like the train systems.
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
Southern and EC's one is called WebTIS and was developed/funded by GNER, I believe.

CrossCountrty have something different as well, which lets you choose your seat.
 

googolplex

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2009
Messages
220
I'm pretty sure the EastCoast/Southern WebTIS was developed by ATOS Origin. At least it's now supported by them.
I know East Coast, Southern and London Midland are using WebTIS, but are there any others?
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
VirginTrains booking system is thetrainline.com as far as I am aware. I had an email off them when a VirginTrains booking I made went wrong.

Wasn't Branson behind thetrainline?

Also AXC (i think) use thetrainline also as we recently booked on their website and it coming out on the statement as 'thetrainline.com'
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Wasn't Branson behind thetrainline?

Also AXC (i think) use thetrainline also as we recently booked on their website and it coming out on the statement as 'thetrainline.com'

Yeah, it was originally called Virgin Trainline when it launched in the late 1990's. IIRC, the Virgin bit was dropped when other TOC's paid to use it rather than each developing their own systems.
 
Last edited:

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
Yeah, it was originally called Virgin Trainline when it launched in the late 1990's. IIRC, the Virgina bit was dropped when other TOC's paid to use it rather than each developing their own systems.

And Virgin sold their share of the business.


 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Yep.

TOCs using thetrainline model:

Virgin
CrossCountry
TPE
Scotrail
East Midlands
FGW
ATW
c2c
Grand Central
Hull Trains
First Crapital Connect
NXEA

Assertis systems:

Chiltern
WSMR
(My train ticket)

Using WebTIS developed by ATOS:

LM
Southern
Southeastern
East Coast
Chiltern

Northern don't do Web sales. Of all the systems offered, Assertis are good on WSMR, WebTIS is good all round on all of those sites listed. The drawback with Assertis is for WSMR is it doesn't show other operators services unless part of a connection, and you ask it to.

Chiltern uses a confusing mix; the WebTIS deck is offered to select services and prices; Assertis then takes control of the booking as it offers mobile phone ticketing and print at home.
 
Last edited:

Z12XE

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2005
Messages
876
NXEA switched back to thetrainline when NXEC went belly up

The booking engine on the NXEA website was directly referencing the NXEC website as well - I suppose they didn't want to pay East Coast for the facility and went to using the other version, which initally was c2c branded
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,498
Location
Yorkshire

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Honestly i prefer the systems London Midland, Southern (etc) use. Its is far easy to use and shows trains for the whole day simply.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,498
Location
Yorkshire
The booking engine on the NXEA website was directly referencing the NXEC website as well - I suppose they didn't want to pay East Coast for the facility and went to using the other version, which initally was c2c branded
I don't see why East Coast would be paid for an Atos product, surely they pay Atos?!

A possible explanation is that Nat Ex got a good deal for both their EA and EC franchises to get a good deal. And once they lost one, the deal wasn't so good.
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
The booking engine on the NXEA website was directly referencing the NXEC website as well - I suppose they didn't want to pay East Coast for the facility and went to using the other version, which initally was c2c branded

Tickets I ordered from East Coast the other week came delivered in an envelope with the return address "National Express Ticket Services Ltd" or similar, despite an EC branded wallet. Are NX getting money out of EC ticket sales still or is this just a supply of old envelopes?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top