• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Linlithgow Station - temporarily closed 15th October

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
Because of a serious fire in an adjacent hotel, I understand that trains on the Edinburgh to Glasgow and Dunblane services are not stopping at Linlithgow at present.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I guess that's the Star and Garter? Happy memories of pints by the fire in their after winter sailing at uni.
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
Trains apparently back to normal according to ScotRail website, but don't expect to get a pint in the Star and Garter or the neighbouring Platform 3 Bar for the next few years...

Great shame - they were both pleasant places.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
aye- ideal for a winter warmer before heading back into Edinburgh. Always reckoned both could have been improved with addition of departure boards for the station though.
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
Brief update - Platform 3 bar at foot of Linlithgow station approach now open for business as usual. Good news for rail-minded drinkers (or folk music-inclined drinkers, or anyone who just likes the place!)
 
Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
I guess that's the Star and Garter? Happy memories of pints by the fire in their after winter sailing at uni.

It was also a handy B&B for visiting the Bo'ness & Kinneil railway
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
It was also a handy B&B for visiting the Bo'ness & Kinneil railway

I am told by someone who is at the B&KR considerably more than me that the WCRC crews used to be lodged there too.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
When I was there yesterday, the hotel seemed to be in the process of being demolished. The roof was off the building and it looked like they were demolishing it into the building to clear it up after?

The bar is still open though, but the street up to the station was closed off.

Talking of Linlithgow, anyone know why the Dunblane services are terminating there just now?
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
When I was there yesterday, the hotel seemed to be in the process of being demolished. The roof was off the building and it looked like they were demolishing it into the building to clear it up after?

The bar is still open though, but the street up to the station was closed off.

Talking of Linlithgow, anyone know why the Dunblane services are terminating there just now?

I was there yesterday too! Dunblanes are terminating at Lithgae on weekends because Haymarket North Tunnel is shut and capacity is at a premium.
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
I was there yesterday too! Dunblanes are terminating at Lithgae on weekends because Haymarket North Tunnel is shut and capacity is at a premium.
Which is proving quite interesting at times for travellers with bikes, pushchairs, and so on, according to my daughter. Loadings on the Glasgow-Edinburgh services from Linlithgow are pretty high on a Saturday.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Which is proving quite interesting at times for travellers with bikes, pushchairs, and so on, according to my daughter. Loadings on the Glasgow-Edinburgh services from Linlithgow are pretty high on a Saturday.

I was somewhat glad I was able to get a lift back to Edinburgh from Linlithgow. The conductor was speaking to someone with an Edinburgh ticket and told them that they could change at Polmont or Linthithgow, their choice, but they wouldn't get a seat either way.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,803
Location
Central Belt
I was somewhat glad I was able to get a lift back to Edinburgh from Linlithgow. The conductor was speaking to someone with an Edinburgh ticket and told them that they could change at Polmont or Linthithgow, their choice, but they wouldn't get a seat either way.

When I used the service the other week the Edinburgh - Glasgow services leaving at x15 and x45 were 6 coach sets. The x00 & x30 were 3 car sets. So there is in fact more capacity from Polmont and Linlithgow than normal.

I guess Polmont is the safer place to change as a lot of people will get on at Linlithgow anyway.

Normally on a Saturday all you get is 3 coach on Edinburgh - Glasgow and 2 coach on Dunblane - Edinburgh (which is not enough)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,803
Location
Central Belt
In that case, I am glad that First ScotRail are learning from their early experiences!

I wish they would during the Edinburgh festival periods!

Every year they say that they strengthen trains during the festival, every year when I am crammed on a 2 car 158 I think why not on this line!
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I was somewhat glad I was able to get a lift back to Edinburgh from Linlithgow. The conductor was speaking to someone with an Edinburgh ticket and told them that they could change at Polmont or Linthithgow, their choice, but they wouldn't get a seat either way.

Yeah, the 2058 was a 3 car and pretty busy.
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
Update - full access to Linlithgow Station (north side) now fully restored after burnt out building made safe. Given they didn't demolish it, I hope to have a pint there one of these years!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top