SWRtrainfan
Member
I was just casually browsing the forum and happened to find out about why the linespeed of the Portsmouth Direct line drops very briefly at Buriton Tunnel despite no significant change in curvature, something I'd been curious about for a while having driven the line a lot in Train Simulator (the reason being that the tunnel isn't wide enough for 23m stock, in this case 444s, and applying it to 450s as well because the cabs inside are too similar to those of 444s).
That then got me thinking about the other obvious permanent speed restriction on the line that isn't down to curvature, the drop from 85 to 60 then suddenly back to 85 just before Hilsea on the down. And similarly the drop from 80 to 50 then back to 85 just after Hilsea on the up. This speed restriction occurs over a bridge crossing the water, so if I were to guess, is it because the bridge is too weak for higher speeds? Or is it something else?
Thanks
That then got me thinking about the other obvious permanent speed restriction on the line that isn't down to curvature, the drop from 85 to 60 then suddenly back to 85 just before Hilsea on the down. And similarly the drop from 80 to 50 then back to 85 just after Hilsea on the up. This speed restriction occurs over a bridge crossing the water, so if I were to guess, is it because the bridge is too weak for higher speeds? Or is it something else?
Thanks
