• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines you never did but now regret

Status
Not open for further replies.

33011

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2008
Messages
300
What closed lines did you never do but now regret.For me it has to be the Somerset & Dorset although to be fair it closed 6 years before i was born.Other lines i would like to have done are the whole of the Great Central and the Woodhead line.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian959

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
483
Location
Perth, Western Australia
Aberystwyth - Carmarthen. I would have been four to have been able to do it but I always regret not actually getting to ride it.

Another was the Wombourne line although this is one that I never even remotely had a chance of doing. It used to run past my old school and I was never even aware of it!

Would also like to have done the Stourbridge - Walsall line and the Severn Valley line from Kidderminster to Shrewsbury.

More recently the Oldham loop. Forgot to do it the last time I was in the UK and of course it closes tomorrow! D'oh!
 

CCF23

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2008
Messages
381
Location
London
All of the Isle of Wight closed lines (there were 55 miles and now only 8 and a half) and the Metropolitan line to Brill, taking the Underground to near Oxford :o
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
What closed lines did you never do but now regret.For me it has to be the Somerset & Dorset although to be fair it closed 6 years before i was born.Other lines i would like to have done are the whole of the Great Central and the Woodhead line.

Closed long before I was born but the Callander & Oban line would have been good as would the lines around Crieff and St Andrews.
 

jonhewes

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2008
Messages
99
Lines I'd like to have done.

GCR London - Manchester
East Lincs Main Line - March - Grimsby
Newark Northgate - Grimsby Town via Lincoln St Marks (back in the days of 31s+5 mk1s, we now have 1 car 153s).
Lincoln-Horncastle
Lincoln-Boston
 

furryfeet

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2008
Messages
449
GNSR line through spey bay
callander & oban
LNWR route from Abergavenny to Merthyr
Carmanthen to Aberysthwyth, especially the section past Cors Caron
Ballahulish branch
Halifax to Keighley direct ( GNR )
Saltburn-Whitby-Scarborough

Alas I was only 3 when the last of these closed in 1968 !
 

pinkpanther

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2009
Messages
134
Location
Bournemouth
The three big ones for me just have to be the lost routes around my hometown:

Bishop Auckland - Durham via Hunwick and Willington (closed 1964)
Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill via Spennymoor (closed 1963)
Bishop Auckland - Penrith (The Stainmore Line - closed 1962)

For some reason I never did the Weardale line when I had the chance in the early 1980s, but at least I'll be rectifying that in February. :)
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
It not really a closed route but I wish I rode the 4-bigs on the Lymington Branch.
 

emoaconr

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2009
Messages
333
Location
Merseyside
25 years too late, but it would have been nice to travel from my hometown (Wrexham) via Ruabon to Barmouth, one of my favourite Welsh seaside towns. The line has had a lot of influence on many areas, and continues to do so.

Being able to travel to the Cambrian line via Bangor and Caernarfon would also be far more beneficial than the current West-East obsession which Welsh railways seem to have maintained. GCML / Woodhead is also something which would have been unique and would have been an interest to me.
 

SWT Driver

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2009
Messages
777
Location
The Twiglet Zone.
Woodhead Line
Adur Valley line (Shoreham by Sea - Christ's Hospital)
Cranleigh Line (Christ's Hospital - Guildford)
Taunton - Barnstaple via Wiveliscombe
Waverley line (Carlisle - Edinburgh)
London - Manchester via Matlock & Buxton
Withered Arm.
 

pinkpanther

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2009
Messages
134
Location
Bournemouth
That's a good choice! Spectacular scenery and deeply unnerving viaducts. :D
Shame they put the widened A66 over the trackbed...

It sure is...a real shame it was lost. Even worse, the speed they lifted the track and demolished some of the major viaducts was just obscene - a real tragedy.

I must admit that I didn't really know anything about the Stainmore line (beyond "there used to be a line from Darlington to Penrith") when I was living in Bishop...I only really learnt about it at the end of last year when I started taking more of an interest in the history of my area.
 

rick9525

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2009
Messages
110
The woodhead line but I was not born, same the line from Marple to Stockport and South of Buxton through Bakewell.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Cowbridge (or even Aberthaw) to Llantrisant. Trackbed used to be the quickest way to walk home (or skive off school) and I would love to have known it operating.
Then Burley in Wharfedale to Harrogate
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Always regret not travelling over any line now closed but was born as Beeching & co were in full swing with the axe.

Probably i most kick myself for having the chance to go over the 'Joint line' from March to Spalding just before closure in the early 80s but doing something most probably stupid instead.
 

SWT Driver

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2009
Messages
777
Location
The Twiglet Zone.
I forgot to include the one I really do wish I could travel back in time for & that's the Somerset & Dorset with all of the branches as well.
 

Spagnoletti

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2008
Messages
151
Location
Chester
Ruabon - Barmouth ( though there are bits of that preserved ).
Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Bangor - Caernarfon - Afon Wen.
Stainmore especially Belah Viaduct - what an awesome structure.
 

tsubaki

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2009
Messages
55
Another vote for Ruabon - Barmouth (how much effort would that take to bring back, one wonders?), but personally I regret never having had the chance to go between Mold and Chester on the train. If they had kept it open it would have been quite heavily used, given the way the local area has developed since.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
A few lines around Southampton & the West Country

Andover - Romsey: closed under Beeching in the 1960s
Fareham-Gosport: closed to passengers in 1953 but remained open for goods until the 60s. Until the 1980s a short section remained to serve the Royal Armaments depot at Bedenham
All lines on the Isle of Wight except Ryde-Shanklin which is still open for business.
Okehampton-Plymouth: always wanted to travel along Meldon Viaduct
Southampton - Fawley: still open for freight
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top