• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines on the Map that are Severed in Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Last Friday I travelled from Kirkby to Wigan and apart from being quite surprised how pleasant a little journey this was (once you left the grimness of Kirkby New Town behind) I noticed that there is no phyiscal connection between Merseyrail and the Kirkby-Wigan line. I suspect the same is true at Ormskirk and I recall it being similar at Royston before electrification through to Cambridge. Are there any other instances where two services meet but there is no longer any physical connection enabling through running to occur?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
Last Friday I travelled from Kirkby to Wigan and apart from being quite surprised how pleasant a little journey this was (once you left the grimness of Kirkby New Town behind) I noticed that there is no phyiscal connection between Merseyrail and the Kirkby-Wigan line. I suspect the same is true at Ormskirk and I recall it being similar at Royston before electrification through to Cambridge. Are there any other instances where two services meet but there is no longer any physical connection enabling through running to occur?

I don't think the track was ever severed or blocked at Royston? I thought the DMUs used the north end of the platform and the EMUs the south end. Certainly the DMUs ran south on various occasions when there was engineering etc. And there was also freight on the line as well.

Until recently Sheringham would have qualified, but there is a link in place, albeit only for occasional use.

Also Shepherdswell where you've got the mainline and EKR, but I don't think there's a link there?
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,934
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Last Friday I travelled from Kirkby to Wigan and apart from being quite surprised how pleasant a little journey this was (once you left the grimness of Kirkby New Town behind) I noticed that there is no phyiscal connection between Merseyrail and the Kirkby-Wigan line. I suspect the same is true at Ormskirk and I recall it being similar at Royston before electrification through to Cambridge. Are there any other instances where two services meet but there is no longer any physical connection enabling through running to occur?

Anniesland in north-west Glasgow.
DMUs from Queen St HL terminate in a bay but no connection with the electric lines. This used to be a south-to-east side of a triangle.

There are several cases in London where through running used to occur but are now split between LUL and NR with no connection (eg Kensington Olympia, Richmond?)
 
Joined
26 Oct 2010
Messages
187
Location
Darlington
The Weardale line (admittedly not NR) is 'severed' at Bish Auckland. Where you can see be on one platform and see the other, but the trains don't go through. The same could be said of Matlock.

Speaking of the Weardale line, I think they really are missing a trick by not trying every trick in the book to extend through to Shildon and then affiliate themselves with Locomotion.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
The Weardale line (admittedly not NR) is 'severed' at Bish Auckland. Where you can see be on one platform and see the other, but the trains don't go through. The same could be said of Matlock.

Speaking of the Weardale line, I think they really are missing a trick by not trying every trick in the book to extend through to Shildon and then affiliate themselves with Locomotion.

so do I!

Is the line still severed at Bishop? Has it not been relaid? I thought coal trains were running from Frosterly or or some such ( not my patch now :( )
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
The Weardale line (admittedly not NR) is 'severed' at Bish Auckland. Where you can see be on one platform and see the other, but the trains don't go through. The same could be said of Matlock.

The question was about cases where there is no physical connection, with no way that trains could run from one line to the other even if they wanted to. On that basis Matlock doesn't qualify but Duffield does - the main line uses the island platform and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway uses the branch platform, but there's no rail connection between the two.
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,348
I don't think the track was ever severed or blocked at Royston? I thought the DMUs used the north end of the platform and the EMUs the south end. Certainly the DMUs ran south on various occasions when there was engineering etc. And there was also freight on the line as well.

The only blockage is a couple of those bolt on buffer things which I assume they just remove when they want to run DMUs through because of engineering works.
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Slightly different but the Bletchley-Claydon line has about three miles of track missing in the Swanbourne area.
 

A0

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2008
Messages
7,751
The only blockage is a couple of those bolt on buffer things which I assume they just remove when they want to run DMUs through because of engineering works.

Not sure you're referring to the same station?

Royston was the northern end of the GN electrification from 1977 until approx 1988.

Certainly when I travelled through in the late 80's to Cambridge changing onto a DMU I don't recall any form of buffers to separate the DMU and EMU service, similarly freight continued through Royston (bearing in mind there was the Barrington cement works) and also the DMUs ran south to Stevenage during various engineering works.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Not sure you're referring to the same station?

Royston was the northern end of the GN electrification from 1977 until approx 1988.

Certainly when I travelled through in the late 80's to Cambridge changing onto a DMU I don't recall any form of buffers to separate the DMU and EMU service, similarly freight continued through Royston (bearing in mind there was the Barrington cement works) and also the DMUs ran south to Stevenage during various engineering works.

I thought there was some kind of obstruction for a while preventing through running - maybe my over frazzled brain is confusing it with somewhere else.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,060
Location
Reston City Centre
The Weardale line (admittedly not NR) is 'severed' at Bish Auckland. Where you can see be on one platform and see the other, but the trains don't go through

so do I!

Is the line still severed at Bishop? Has it not been relaid? I thought coal trains were running from Frosterly or or some such ( not my patch now :( )

Through running from Darlington/ Shildon to the Weardale line is possible, there's freight/ charters which do this.

However, the NR station at Bishop Auckland is on a siding, whilst the Weardale station (Bishop Auckland West) is on the "through line", so you couldn't go from one station to the other without reversing.

The best way to explain it is to view this picture (a 31 on the Weardale line and a Northern Rail Pacer):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebustocrookes/6200748321/in/photostream/

As you'll see on the left hand side of the picture, they are putting a new line in which will improve things.
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,348
Not sure you're referring to the same station?

Royston was the northern end of the GN electrification from 1977 until approx 1988.

Oh yeah sorry, I for some reason got confused on that station at the edge of the Merseyrail network on the line to Wigan Wallgate where the EMU stops at one end fo the platform and the DMU at the other. Kirkby I think and it turns out there is a gap in the track now....

I must be sleep deprived.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Oh yeah sorry, I for some reason got confused on that station at the edge of the Merseyrail network on the line to Wigan Wallgate where the EMU stops at one end fo the platform and the DMU at the other. Kirkby I think and it turns out there is a gap in the track now....

I must be sleep deprived.

I think I may have been mixing it up with the other Royston where Tubbs lives
 

ess

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2010
Messages
573
windsor is interesting. both lines cross the river before the station but they don't connect. something of a hight issue (and a big castle in the way too)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top