• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincolnshire Day Ranger ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Good afternoon,

I've booked a hotel for two nights from 27 to 29 May in Lincoln with a view to travelling around with a Lincolnshire Day Ranger on Saturday 28 May.

As I've never been to Lincolnshire, how much of the network valid for travel with the day ranger could be feasibly covered within a day?

I'm looking at travelling to Skegness on the 0807 service from Lincoln changing at Sleaford. However, as it's the first weekend of half term in Lincolnshire, the trains to Skegness might be packed. Would anyone know if this is likely to be the case or not?

Once I've got a rough idea of how much track I could cover I'll put together an itinerary.

Thank you in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,276
This'll help work out where you can go...

lincolnshire_day_ranger.gif
(Map showing Lincolnshire Day Ranger validity).

Route restrictions
Not valid to Barton on Humber or Gainsborough Central.
Not valid Doncaster to Nottingham via Sheffield.
Not valid Doncaster to Cleethorpes direct.
Not valid Doncaster to Grantham direct.
Not valid Grantham to Peterborough on London North Eastern Railway

Participating train operating companies
CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Northern, TransPennine Express
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
This'll help work out where you can go...

View attachment 112416
(Map showing Lincolnshire Day Ranger validity).

Route restrictions
Not valid to Barton on Humber or Gainsborough Central.
Not valid Doncaster to Nottingham via Sheffield.
Not valid Doncaster to Cleethorpes direct.
Not valid Doncaster to Grantham direct.
Not valid Grantham to Peterborough on London North Eastern Railway

Participating train operating companies
CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Northern, TransPennine Express
Thanks, I've seen the map.

I'm wondering which of those destinations are worth visiting by train.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,276
Thanks, I've seen the map.

I'm wondering which of those destinations are worth visiting by train.
That's as may be, still be useful for anyone advising you where best to visit.

Personally, reckon that Stamford is definitely worth a visit.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
That's as may be, still be useful for anyone advising you where best to visit.

Personally, reckon that Stamford is definitely worth a visit.
...as is Boston.

I would have thought getting to Skeggy by 10am would avoid the crowds, and the returning holidaymakers will be fewer in number than those arriving.

If you want both Doncaster and Cleethorpes, splash out on TPE (or Northern from Gsinsborouh, if by some miracle it is running again).
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm with the warrior from Manchester, Stamford gets a thumbs-up from me. It used to have a railway bookshop in the station building, I don't know if it still does but it could be worth a look if that's your thing.

Lincoln itself looks nice, I have limited memories of it as I did not explore too much during an ALR. My over-riding memory of the place is of buying some Orajel in Boots!

I also agree with 30907, that early train should be fine to Skegness. The kids won't be up too early after all, and I think you will be fine.

Lincolnshire is not an area of huge experience for me I'm afraid, so I can't help much. Nottingham is a nice city to explore, I can tell you that. I went for a quick revisit in January, and I am planning to return for a full day of exploring on foot at some point in the coming months. You've got a nice city there, plus the benefit of trams if you want to get a quick look around over, say, a couple of hours. Doing it on foot and just going for a 'ooh where does this street go?' kind of walk is more fun though!

If you do Nottingham, don't forget to have a look at the only remaining feature of Nottingham Victoria station, the clock tower on the west side of the Victoria shopping centre!
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,276
Stamford gets a thumbs-up from me. It used to have a railway bookshop in the station building, I don't know if it still does but it could be worth a look if that's your thing.
Believe Robert Humm & Co. have moved, and are now trading from alternative premises in Stamford. About 10 minutes walk from the station at 59 Scotgate. Open daily except Wednesdays and Sundays.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
Believe Robert Humm & Co. have moved, and are now trading from alternative premises in Stamford. About 10 minutes walk from the station at 59 Scotgate. Open daily except Wednesdays and Sundays.
It's at the traffic lights next to the crossroads in scotgate. 10 minutes if you're a quick walker, or a few minutes more if not!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Believe Robert Humm & Co. have moved, and are now trading from alternative premises in Stamford. About 10 minutes walk from the station at 59 Scotgate. Open daily except Wednesdays and Sundays.

It's at the traffic lights next to the crossroads in scotgate. 10 minutes if you're a quick walker, or a few minutes more if not!

Good to know it's still a company that's trading, given the pandemic and its effects on businesses. I'll have to pop in when I make a return to Stamford, whenever that will actually be!
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,504
Location
Leicestershire
I would have thought getting to Skeggy by 10am would avoid the crowds, and the returning holidaymakers will be fewer in number than those arriving.
I also agree with 30907, that early train should be fine to Skegness. The kids won't be up too early after all, and I think you will be fine.
That 07:31 off Nottingham used to be a busy one, but will depend I guess on its booked formation now, especially in the current climate of short formed EMR services.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,810
Location
West of Andover
Isn't EMR meant to be using a 180 on some of the summer Saturday extras for Skegness?

Depends when those extras start, but could be a bit of a novelty of a 180 in First Class
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,504
Location
Leicestershire
Isn't EMR meant to be using a 180 on some of the summer Saturday extras for Skegness?

Depends when those extras start, but could be a bit of a novelty of a 180 in First Class
Although the Lincolnshire Day Ranger isn't valid on Saturdays in July or August - will the 180's be operating any Saturdays outside of these months?
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,017
Location
Yellabelly Country
Isn't EMR meant to be using a 180 on some of the summer Saturday extras for Skegness?

Depends when those extras start, but could be a bit of a novelty of a 180 in First Class
The usage has been outlined in the timetable change document I've seen however, they still need to be authorised for use on the route.

Back to the thread. Is the OP more in the ticket for travel or visiting towns etc? Stamford is a good call, as is Lincoln. There can also be walks planned between stations, certainly in the Sleaford area (see Poacher Line community rail website, or even.the Spires & Steeples trail.)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
There's also plenty of interesting cycling opportunities in Lincolnshire, from what I remember looking at on my Sustrans map a while ago. Perhaps the OP might find a combination of trains and cycling, especially from the more limited service stations to other places, of interest. I don't ever remember seeing such an expression of interest from them before, but I might have missed that.

Certainly wherever they choose to go, there will be plenty of interest. Quite, I want to go visiting the area with my beast, and I might have to get the map out and start planning an adventure!
 

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,061
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
Grimsby had some interesting gated level crossings - though we're talking of the 1980s... Have they all been converted to barriers now?
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
There's also plenty of interesting cycling opportunities in Lincolnshire, from what I remember looking at on my Sustrans map a while ago. Perhaps the OP might find a combination of trains and cycling, especially from the more limited service stations to other places, of interest. I don't ever remember seeing such an expression of interest from them before, but I might have missed that.
Would recommend The Water Railway.
33 miles, all flat, along most of the former Boston to Lincoln line. The middle section is along minor country roads next to the River Witham. Lovely 2 hour ride out, though I recommend checking the wind direction if your only doing a one way trip.

 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Would recommend The Water Railway.
33 miles, all flat, along most of the former Boston to Lincoln line. The middle section is along minor country roads next to the River Witham. Lovely 2 hour ride out, though I recommend checking the wind direction if your only doing a one way trip.


Thanks for the link, I think I will end up factoring that into a Gran Fondo ride when the time comes! Sounds like a nice ride, I'm about to investigate the link and it sounds like a nice idea for the OP too, mixing it in with trains and exploring the county.

EDIT: Just a quick update, this website is full of awesome ideas, so it is very much appreciated! :D
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,810
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for the link, I think I will end up factoring that into a Gran Fondo ride when the time comes! Sounds like a nice ride, I'm about to investigate the link and it sounds like a nice idea for the OP too, mixing it in with trains and exploring the county.

EDIT: Just a quick update, this website is full of awesome ideas, so it is very much appreciated! :D

I can see your big list getting more things added to it tonight ;)

It does look good that path, from memory another is a path from Lincoln which goes towards High Markham area along the former trackbed, although another to do by bike as options at the High Markham end are more limited.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
Thanks for the link, I think I will end up factoring that into a Gran Fondo ride when the time comes! Sounds like a nice ride, I'm about to investigate the link and it sounds like a nice idea for the OP too, mixing it in with trains and exploring the county.

EDIT: Just a quick update, this website is full of awesome ideas, so it is very much appreciated! :D

No worries! Hope you enjoy cycling in Lincolnshire when you get the chance to.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I can see your big list getting more things added to it tonight ;)

It does look good that path, from memory another is a path from Lincoln which goes towards High Markham area along the former trackbed, although another to do by bike as options at the High Markham end are more limited.

I'm currently replying on the MacBook (phone is on a badly needed charge), so I can't link to the photo on the phone but my bed is currently covered in 4 Sustrans maps all unfolded and linked up as part of a planning session. The List Of Plans, as I've decided to now call it, is getting added to something fierce tonight. I blame the caffeine from earlier finally kicking in, although I can feel the tiredness returning slowly. The new work schedule is messing my system up!

Put it this way, I've got so many ideas I will be looking to book some time off work pretty soon. New Zealand is getting delayed further, a week of cycle touring including a day of touring Lincoln on foot looks like it is coming up. Don't even ask when or how I'm going to fit in the Trans Pennine Trail east of Hadfield! First though is researching quality hotels in Lincoln!

I assume you'll cycle up Steep Hill when you get to Lincoln...

I have to say that has me intrigued, I will have to look into that!

No worries! Hope you enjoy cycling in Lincolnshire when you get the chance to.

Oh I will, trust me, I was ready to give my beast a good clean and jump on the train in the morning quite honestly, I'm that excited! Thank you for the further ideas received by PM, I honestly don't know how I haven't discovered all these amazing routes before, I've had the maps for months. In the meantime, I'd best start getting some fitness training in!
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Having looked at that trail, which is 100% on my list, I can already recommend it. That PDF certainly sells it well as something to do, and TheBigD knows cycling much better than me. This is a route that would encourage me to buy a bike and go for a ride if I hadn't already got one, that viaduct alone looks worth seeing!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top