ChrisCooper
Established Member
Reading another thread has just reminded me of a question that's come to me a few times. Some Lincoln to Nottingham trains call at both Newark Northgate and Newark Castle, reversing at Northgate and then again once back onto the Lincoln line. I've only done it once, on a Sunday, and the driver did not change ends at either reversal. How is this done? I would assume the easiest and most sensible way would be to have a qualified driver as the guard who could drive the train from Northgate to the reversing point, and then resume being a guard. Then again this is the railways, so the more likely option seems to be to have a second driver who just drives that short distance. Quite ovious the driver did not reverse the train without changing ends, not only would that not be allowed, but I remember hearing the AWS test as the front cab was opened up before we continued towards Nottingham. I know the driver did not change ends as they did not leave the cab (unless drivers are able to teleport).