• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln diversions and a trip to Aberdeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Have a double bill of trip reports for you today/tonight! :D

On Saturday 8th June, I had planned to go down to London to see some mates, and as it turned out there were diversions via Lincoln on trains down to London. I boarded the 13:56 Grand Central service from York to London King's Cross only, run by 43465 + 43484. After leaving six minutes late (because of a late running XC service before it), we made our way down to Doncaster. A planned stop there for two minutes was scrapped, and after speeding through platform one, we made up to only three or four minutes late. The run down the Doncaster - Lincoln line was very pretty, never done this line before! We had a very quick run straight through Lincoln city centre and back out the other side. After stopping at Sleaford South signal box (after avoiding the station), we proceeded onwards to find us being about six minutes late after going through Peterborough's platform two (instead of the avoider), and we kept that all the way down to London.


York by Mikez2605, on Flickr

Arriving into King's Cross (after being routed down the slow lines just south of Finsbury Park, which was odd), I ran quickly down to the Circle/Metropolitan/Hammersmith and City lines of the tube station, my "safe" connection to Fenchurch Street being eaten into by the delay. Fortunately a Metropolitan line train to Aldgate arrived just after me, and I was back on my way again.

After leaping off the train at Aldgate, I started to sprint to Fenchurch Street, with about 5 minutes to make it between the stations and onto my train. After nearly giving up and resorting to a power walk, I ran into the station with a second wind, and just made the train by 20 seconds; so satisfying! My train was the 17:35 to Grays, which I took all the way, before connecting to the 18:24 to Fenchurch Street via Chafford Hundred, where I alighted. This finally meant I had finished the C2C network, after needing the short run between Grays and Chafford Hundred for months.

I got a taco bell from Lakeside Shopping Centre (a guilty pleasure :oops: ), before getting the 18:59 all the way back to Fenchurch Street, getting the tube back to King's Cross, and then back home to Hertford North. While leaving the station at Hertford North, I saw that all trains back into London were only going as far as Gordon Hill, with a replacement bus service into London.

I stayed at home for about 45 minutes, saying hi to my parents (and my cats!), after not being home for two months before. Was forced to go back into London from Hertford East, after always believing going from North is always much better! My thoughts were confirmed to me after trying to go to the toilet on the 317, one of them being locked out of use, and the other one being blocked, with someone then being sick in them after that :X 317659 was the offending unit, which I left at Seven Sisters at 22:33, before making my way to Waterloo via the Victoria and Jubilee line.

The reason I was in London was to go to the BFI IMAX, which were holding an all nighter, showing all three films of the Batman Trilogy. I met three old schoolmates at the IMAX (who are all film buffs, the opposite to me!), and we sat down for the marathon of films.

Eight and a half hours later it was light again outside, and we exited, bleary eyed and quite scared at humanity after all the tragedy in Gotham, I made my way back up to King's Cross, and then collapsed in the empty first class lounge, waiting for my train, the 11:20 to Edinburgh. (It was about 9:30 when I got in there!). I quickly fell asleep on one of the chairs in there (too comfy), before waking up about an hour later, feeling very confused. After taking a few pictures from the bridge, I made my way onto the train, ran by 91131 + 82200 which averaged at just over 100mph, to finish off my journey for the weekend.


King's Cross by Mikez2605, on Flickr

----------------------------------------------------------

My second journey was made three days later, on Wednesday 12th June. To get away, I booked a trip up to Scotland, mainly using my East Coast rewards points. My day started with a 6am alarm (so much for being a student!), which got me out of bed, and into town for the 07:36 East Coast service from Leeds to Aberdeen. After only being able to get the front number (43320), I waited until Edinburgh to get out and quickly walked to get the back number (and a quick picture of 43208), before we carried on northwards. Someone tried to alight at Edinburgh after waiting there for six minutes, and unfortunately the doors were already locked. Fortunately he just got off at Haymarket, and we carried on over the Forth Bridge, and the Tay Bridge a bit later, both very impressive!


Tay Rail Bridge by Mikez2605, on Flickr

I stayed on right until the end, getting off at Aberdeen after the 5 hour 19 minute trip, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Had a quick walk up and down the High Street (quickly grabbing a McDonalds), before making my way back down to the station to catch the 13:38 to Glasgow Queen Street. I like how at Aberdeen there's nothing leaving the station for half an hour, before two trains simultaneously leave, from the same platform as well! The trip back down the coast was lovely, especially as the sun had finally come out. Was very impressed with ScotRail at this point, 170406 was spotless, and they now even have menus for the on board trolley!


Aberdeen by Mikez2605, on Flickr

After dosing off between Perth and Stirling (I just couldn't help it :( ), I watched the slow run into Queen Street, the first time I've ever been to Glasgow. I made a note to return, as I had to be on my way quickly. After taking some pictures, I left on the 16:45 service to Edinburgh, before alighting at Polmont to take some pictures, and catching the service after to get into Edinburgh at 17:54. The way that they turn around the two four car 170's in under 10 minutes was really quite impressive! It seemed right that the two largest cities in Scotland have such a good service between them, each of the 8 car trains every 15 minutes was well loaded throughout.


Glasgow Queen Street by Mikez2605, on Flickr

I finished off my day by getting a Scottish five pound note change from Millie's Cookies (absolutely crazy money), and boarding the 18:30 service from Edinburgh, back down to York (run by 91126 + 82230 this time). I had treated myself to First Class on this service, and I was definitely glad I had, after tucking into a curry while speeding along the coast at 100mph. After reaping the first class trolley for all I could, I alighted at York at 21:20, before catching the bus back to the University to conclude my trips.


Edinburgh Waverley by Mikez2605, on Flickr

Thanks for reading! More images can be found on my Flickr, and a summary of all my journeys can be found in my RailMiles, which is in my signature.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Some excellent pictures, young sir, especially the first few.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Good report you have there Searle, and as others have said, nice pics too (especially the HST on the Tay) :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top