341o2
Established Member
- Joined
- 17 Oct 2011
- Messages
- 2,014
apologies if in wrong section
With all the interest in the two World Wars, especially 100 years after the start of the first world war, that which caused Davies to write "Light Railways of the First World war" seem to be ongoing
At all the agricultural shows held locally plus the film "War Horse" the sacrifice of thousands of horses is remembered..true
But as Davies wrote seemingly supplies arrived at the main railheads and then somehow arrived at the front lines for example given that Paschendale (hope I've spelt it right) resulted in a bottomless cauldron of mud
In fact an extensive network of narrow gauge lines was constructed to serve the trenches
Ffestiniog no 3 for example of of one of the survivors - locos I mean
With all the interest in the two World Wars, especially 100 years after the start of the first world war, that which caused Davies to write "Light Railways of the First World war" seem to be ongoing
At all the agricultural shows held locally plus the film "War Horse" the sacrifice of thousands of horses is remembered..true
But as Davies wrote seemingly supplies arrived at the main railheads and then somehow arrived at the front lines for example given that Paschendale (hope I've spelt it right) resulted in a bottomless cauldron of mud
In fact an extensive network of narrow gauge lines was constructed to serve the trenches
Ffestiniog no 3 for example of of one of the survivors - locos I mean
