LSWR Cavalier
Established Member
An "accident" at a level crossing near Beddgelert has been reported.
Many crossings have been closed or upgraded with lights and barriers. But often a crossing is the only way to a property and can not be closed, or closing it forces drivers to take a much longer route.
New rules (stop signs?) are ignored by many drivers.
I think crossings should be closed if there is an alternative driving route, even if it costs several minutes.
The WHR is perhaps a special case with only a handful of trains a day. As a railfan I know that special workings, works trains etc could run at any time, but a local might only expect the advertised passenger trains.
What about chicanes to force drivers to slow down?
What else might be done?
Many crossings have been closed or upgraded with lights and barriers. But often a crossing is the only way to a property and can not be closed, or closing it forces drivers to take a much longer route.
New rules (stop signs?) are ignored by many drivers.
I think crossings should be closed if there is an alternative driving route, even if it costs several minutes.
The WHR is perhaps a special case with only a handful of trains a day. As a railfan I know that special workings, works trains etc could run at any time, but a local might only expect the advertised passenger trains.
What about chicanes to force drivers to slow down?
What else might be done?