Hi all,
(26, M)
I have been reviewing this forum and am writing my response to the letter to prosecute. Any help on tweaks to make will be greatly appreciated. Today is the last day so I want to ensure this letter is as good as it can be before sending.
I am happy to pay for the ticket costs and administrative costs as having a criminal record would crush me.
The details:
(I have valid railcard)
- Travelling from Wimbledon Chase to Farringdon
- No barriers at Wimbledon Chase so I walked through
- See ticket inspector and buy single ticket (with railcard discount) from Tulse Hill to Farringdon
- Realise he may get to me before then so I buy a single ticket (with railcard discount) from Streatham to Farringdon
- He sees it had just been bought and questioned how I got through barriers
- I admitted I just bought it and gave my details
I know it was stupid and this has certainly been a lesson learnt.
My response:
"
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute regarding the incident on Tuesday 10th March 2026 at/near Herne Hill Station.
First, I want to sincerely apologise for my actions on that day. I can confirm that I boarded the train at Wimbledon Chase without a valid ticket. When I noticed the Revenue Protection Officer, I panicked and bought two separate tickets via Trainline mid-journey (from Tulse Hill to Farringdon, and then Streatham to Farringdon) in an attempt to cover my journey. When questioned by the officer, I realised the extent of what I had done and provided my details.
I fully understand the gravity of what I have done and feel deeply ashamed. The prospect of facing criminal prosecution has caused me immense anxiety, and I fully understand the seriousness of fare evasion and the impact it has on the railway network.
I want to take full responsibility for my actions and correct this mistake. I respectfully ask if GTR would consider settling this matter out of court. I am completely willing to pay the full outstanding fare from Wimbledon Chase, alongside any administrative costs or penalties you have incurred as a result of my actions.
A criminal record would have a devastating impact on my future and career. I have learned a harsh lesson from this experience, and I can assure you that I will never travel without a valid ticket again.
Thank you for taking the time to read my statement and for considering my request for an out-of-court settlement.
Yours faithfully,
"
Any advice on how to better word this letter would be greatly appreciated.
(26, M)
I have been reviewing this forum and am writing my response to the letter to prosecute. Any help on tweaks to make will be greatly appreciated. Today is the last day so I want to ensure this letter is as good as it can be before sending.
I am happy to pay for the ticket costs and administrative costs as having a criminal record would crush me.
The details:
(I have valid railcard)
- Travelling from Wimbledon Chase to Farringdon
- No barriers at Wimbledon Chase so I walked through
- See ticket inspector and buy single ticket (with railcard discount) from Tulse Hill to Farringdon
- Realise he may get to me before then so I buy a single ticket (with railcard discount) from Streatham to Farringdon
- He sees it had just been bought and questioned how I got through barriers
- I admitted I just bought it and gave my details
I know it was stupid and this has certainly been a lesson learnt.
My response:
"
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute regarding the incident on Tuesday 10th March 2026 at/near Herne Hill Station.
First, I want to sincerely apologise for my actions on that day. I can confirm that I boarded the train at Wimbledon Chase without a valid ticket. When I noticed the Revenue Protection Officer, I panicked and bought two separate tickets via Trainline mid-journey (from Tulse Hill to Farringdon, and then Streatham to Farringdon) in an attempt to cover my journey. When questioned by the officer, I realised the extent of what I had done and provided my details.
I fully understand the gravity of what I have done and feel deeply ashamed. The prospect of facing criminal prosecution has caused me immense anxiety, and I fully understand the seriousness of fare evasion and the impact it has on the railway network.
I want to take full responsibility for my actions and correct this mistake. I respectfully ask if GTR would consider settling this matter out of court. I am completely willing to pay the full outstanding fare from Wimbledon Chase, alongside any administrative costs or penalties you have incurred as a result of my actions.
A criminal record would have a devastating impact on my future and career. I have learned a harsh lesson from this experience, and I can assure you that I will never travel without a valid ticket again.
Thank you for taking the time to read my statement and for considering my request for an out-of-court settlement.
Yours faithfully,
"
Any advice on how to better word this letter would be greatly appreciated.