ottiemajumdar
New Member
Hi guys, would really appreciate some help.
Back in May I was caught short faring on a train from Farringdon to Cambridge having got on at Farringdon and only buying a ticket from Letchworth Garden City when I was already on the train and saw a ticket inspector. I only received the letter a few days ago and have drafted this response to send back to Govia , please can I get some advice on whether this is an acceptable response and If it’s enough for me to get an out of court settlement. I’m also conscious of it sounding like I’ve copied what everyone else says having consulted the forum prior to writing it, but I’m not sure if that’s a problem or not.
Worth noting as well I had done this a few times previously but this wasn’t mentioned in the letter so I haven’t mentioned it so as not to incriminate myself, but is it likely they might bring this up in further communication? I‘ve bought all valid tickets since the incident so there’s proof I‘ve not continued to do so.
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 03/10/25, reference number XXXXX, regarding the incident on XXXX at XXXXXX Station.
Firstly, I would like to begin by offering my sincere apologies for my actions and truly appreciate being given the opportunity to respond. On the day in question, I was travelling back to Cambridge from London and my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Officer at Ashwell and Morden station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-faring as, in very poor judgement, I bought a ticket from Letchworth Garden City to Cambridge, despite having boarded the train at Farringdon and purchasing the ticket while already on the train. I acknowledge that this was dishonest, unacceptable, and entirely my responsibility.
I understand the seriousness of fare evasion, both in its detrimental impact on the railway industry and in undermining the fairness of the system for other passengers who pay their fares correctly. I am deeply ashamed and regretful of my behaviour and I can assure you that this will never happen again. I have learnt a difficult but valuable lesson from this experience and since the incident, I have taken great care to ensure that all my tickets are valid before every journey I embark on, and I will continue to do so going forward.
I am very keen to cooperate and would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for court proceedings. I am of course willing to pay the outstanding fare in full, together with the administrative costs incurred by this investigation.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Kind regards,
XXXX
Back in May I was caught short faring on a train from Farringdon to Cambridge having got on at Farringdon and only buying a ticket from Letchworth Garden City when I was already on the train and saw a ticket inspector. I only received the letter a few days ago and have drafted this response to send back to Govia , please can I get some advice on whether this is an acceptable response and If it’s enough for me to get an out of court settlement. I’m also conscious of it sounding like I’ve copied what everyone else says having consulted the forum prior to writing it, but I’m not sure if that’s a problem or not.
Worth noting as well I had done this a few times previously but this wasn’t mentioned in the letter so I haven’t mentioned it so as not to incriminate myself, but is it likely they might bring this up in further communication? I‘ve bought all valid tickets since the incident so there’s proof I‘ve not continued to do so.
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 03/10/25, reference number XXXXX, regarding the incident on XXXX at XXXXXX Station.
Firstly, I would like to begin by offering my sincere apologies for my actions and truly appreciate being given the opportunity to respond. On the day in question, I was travelling back to Cambridge from London and my details were taken by a Revenue Protection Officer at Ashwell and Morden station after I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey. I was caught short-faring as, in very poor judgement, I bought a ticket from Letchworth Garden City to Cambridge, despite having boarded the train at Farringdon and purchasing the ticket while already on the train. I acknowledge that this was dishonest, unacceptable, and entirely my responsibility.
I understand the seriousness of fare evasion, both in its detrimental impact on the railway industry and in undermining the fairness of the system for other passengers who pay their fares correctly. I am deeply ashamed and regretful of my behaviour and I can assure you that this will never happen again. I have learnt a difficult but valuable lesson from this experience and since the incident, I have taken great care to ensure that all my tickets are valid before every journey I embark on, and I will continue to do so going forward.
I am very keen to cooperate and would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for court proceedings. I am of course willing to pay the outstanding fare in full, together with the administrative costs incurred by this investigation.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Kind regards,
XXXX