• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letter from IRCAS/CrossCountry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senora

New Member
Joined
24 Oct 2024
Messages
2
Location
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I shuttle between two addresses, so I have been away until I got back and saw this letter from IRCAS yesterday 23rd Oct 2024.

On the 4th of September, I boarded the train later than the time I was supposed to because I earlier on boarded the train heading to the wrong direction :rolleyes:, hence the delay. When the revenue officer requested for my ticket, which I confidently showed to her on my phone, I was then told my ticket wasn't valid. I briefly narrated what had happened and why I missed the previous train which I was supposed to board. She then requested to see my I.D which I have to her & asked for other personal information and said they'd reach out to me by post. I had been at the address for a week, hoping to receive any mail from them which I wasn't even familiar with how it all works and didn't know not boarding the train at the stipulated time was a thing.

Lo and behold, I got back and was going through my mails, then I found this letter which is like a month away from the due 14days I was to make payment. I tried calling the telephone line and it wasn't connecting. Went further to make payment and it gave me the attached response. I filled the enquiry form on their website and also sent an email which goes thus -

"I hope this message finds you well. I am writing regarding the incident on 4 September 2024, when I was questioned about a contravention of the Railway Regulations.
I sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to you. As I explained previously, I have been away and just returned, which unfortunately meant I did not receive the letter until 23 October 2024, well after the deadline.
I fully understand the importance of addressing this matter promptly, and I regret that this delay has caused inconvenience.
I attempted to contact your office by telephone, but regrettably, I could not get through. I am eager to resolve this matter as quickly as possible and would like to pay the required fee of £149.20 to avoid further actions.
Could you please provide the necessary payment details so I can settle the matter as soon as possible? If you require any further information, I am more than happy to provide it.
Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay, and I am very keen to resolve this as soon as possible. I truly appreciate your understanding and assistance in this situation.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely, "

After sending this I do not know how long it will take for me to get a response for me to atleast pay the fine because I do not want to be convicted for any form of criminal offence or my DBS getting stained. I have never had anything to do with any form of unlawfulness, conviction or court case in my life. Its a different case if was trying to evade fares, I had a valid ticket atleast, which I bought via the trainline app, I only boarded at the wrong time.

I'm worried, restless and no longer know what step to take asides the ones I have taken. I'll appreciate any word of advice or ideas please.

Thank you all.:'(
 

Attachments

  • 20241024_140949.jpg
    20241024_140949.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20241024_144836_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241024_144836_Chrome.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 70
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,365
Hello All,

I shuttle between two addresses, so I have been away until I got back and saw this letter from IRCAS yesterday 23rd Oct 2024.

On the 4th of September, I boarded the train later than the time I was supposed to because I earlier on boarded the train heading to the wrong direction :rolleyes:, hence the delay. When the revenue officer requested for my ticket, which I confidently showed to her on my phone, I was then told my ticket wasn't valid. I briefly narrated what had happened and why I missed the previous train which I was supposed to board. She then requested to see my I.D which I have to her & asked for other personal information and said they'd reach out to me by post. I had been at the address for a week, hoping to receive any mail from them which I wasn't even familiar with how it all works and didn't know not boarding the train at the stipulated time was a thing.

Lo and behold, I got back and was going through my mails, then I found this letter which is like a month away from the due 14days I was to make payment. I tried calling the telephone line and it wasn't connecting. Went further to make payment and it gave me the attached response. I filled the enquiry form on their website and also sent an email which goes thus -

"I hope this message finds you well. I am writing regarding the incident on 4 September 2024, when I was questioned about a contravention of the Railway Regulations.
I sincerely apologise for the delay in responding to you. As I explained previously, I have been away and just returned, which unfortunately meant I did not receive the letter until 23 October 2024, well after the deadline.
I fully understand the importance of addressing this matter promptly, and I regret that this delay has caused inconvenience.
I attempted to contact your office by telephone, but regrettably, I could not get through. I am eager to resolve this matter as quickly as possible and would like to pay the required fee of £149.20 to avoid further actions.
Could you please provide the necessary payment details so I can settle the matter as soon as possible? If you require any further information, I am more than happy to provide it.
Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay, and I am very keen to resolve this as soon as possible. I truly appreciate your understanding and assistance in this situation.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely, "

After sending this I do not know how long it will take for me to get a response for me to atleast pay the fine because I do not want to be convicted for any form of criminal offence or my DBS getting stained. I have never had anything to do with any form of unlawfulness, conviction or court case in my life. Its a different case if was trying to evade fares, I had a valid ticket atleast, which I bought via the trainline app, I only boarded at the wrong time.

I'm worried, restless and no longer know what step to take asides the ones I have taken. I'll appreciate any word of advice or ideas please.

Thank you all.:'(
You could try also posting a copy of the e-mail hard copy to their postal address with 24 hour tracked post in the hope they will act on one or the other to re-open the payment portal and let you pay to conclude the matter. If you are near a post office you may be able to catch the post today even.

It's a perfectly good request for you to send them IMHO

Make sure all your contact details are on what you send them - postal address / phone number / e-mail - make it as easy as possible for them to get in touch with you.

Edit - add a bold subject line right at the start - eg 'keen to make payment settlement offered' or some such so it's obvious what you want to the person who might need to read it in 2 seconds to see what action you are requesting.

and end up with the last line stating exactly what you want again eg 'I would appreciate it if the payment portal could be re-opened to allow me to pay the sum requested in full as promptly as possible'

people who have to read lots of these things will look first at the start and end of any message to try and see what it is the person writing wants - make it easy for them to see that quickly
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,133
It reads fine to me, except remove the first sentence, which is completely inappropriate in a business letter to someone you don't know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top