• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to Sheffield day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
Travelling on a Sunday


Is the best way day return to Derby and then a Wayfarer?

Can I buy the Wayfarer at Leicester station?

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
Hi,

I have had a look at this page and found that both types of Derbyshire wayfarer are advertised as "(From Nottingham or Beeston)" or "(Purchase within Derbyshire)". I am not familiar with the ticket stock used, if issued on Standard Stock then it may be able to be issued from Leicester, it may be listed on their TIS's under the Ranger/Rover Section.

On a similar note, I have purchased a 'n-network child daytripper' from Norwich Sales Office (but most of the staff there are familiar that I know my stuff re ticketing and take my word for it if they are not familiar with the ticket ;)), so it may be available likewise. Also from an RPI on New Streets Victoria Square Gateline, so it the wayfarer may be available on the Gaurds Avantix Mobile if you fail at Leicester. (ask on your train whilst you have a valid ticket)
On both occasions the daytripper was issued on standard stock instead of the Blue/White stock; I had no problems using it.



HTH
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
The wayfarer ticket is only available from Alfreton, Burton-on-Trent, Buxton, Chesterfield, Derby, Long Eaton, New Mills Newtown and Sheffield stations, and Bus company and tourist offices, and also by post/telephone from the council.
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transp...rover_tickets/derbyshire_wayfarer/default.asp

Tel: 01629 536738 - call that and order the ticket for delivery if possible. The ticket will come as a scratch card so you don't have to choose a date in advance.

The ticket is only valid as from Derby on the Midland Main Line, so £8.90 + £8.70 CDR LEI-DBY = £17.60
wheras CDR LEI-SHF = £21.70 - so yeah, quite a saving to be had.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Anywhere can sell a Wayfarer, I've bought them at York before. But if the ticket seller wishes to be awkward, then they have an excuse, sadly.

However if you buy one at Leicester they won't have the pouches and therefore you will struggle to use them on some bus services. It is claimed that Sheffield will put your ticket in a pouch if required however I've not tested (or required) this (Previously discussed here).

I have used Wayfarers to do cycling in the Peak district, but never used one on a bus so the lack of pouch wouldn't bother me. I usually get scratch-cards anyway, I then just need a ticket from York to Sheffield.
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
Thanks for all your help.
If someone was to want a Leicester to Sheffield to travel on a Saturday and then back on a Sunday on walk-up ticket - are there any splitting / travelling short options?

Thanks
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
Travelling on a Sunday


Is the best way day return to Derby and then a Wayfarer?

Can I buy the Wayfarer at Leicester station?

Thanks

A CDR from Derby or Long Eaton to Sheffield is 10p cheaper than a wayfarer (£8.80 vs £8.90), so if you're only going to Sheffield and don't want the Derbyshire bus element then you might as well stick to CDRs. If your train stops at Long Eaton then LEI-LGE is £8.30, and LGE-SHF is £8.80. If it doesn't then LEI-DBY is £8.70 and DBY-SHF is £8.80 (all prices CDR).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top