• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to London via WCML Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Hi all,

I will be travelling on a weekday in the near future between Leicester and London and return. I wish to have more flexibility so I will not book an advance ticket. To keep costs down, I intend to travel via Nuneaton (LM only) or Rugby (VT or LM - see below) using split ticketing. I will be using a 16-25 Railcard.

From my perspective, I have 2 options:
Option 1: Purchase a Leicester to Nuneaton Anytime Day Return (£12) and then an Off Peak Return (LM Only) between Nuneaton & London Euston (£22.45). I will also use a Travelcard (Zones 1&2) - can I purchase a discounted travelcard with a YP Railcard?

Option 2: Purchase a Leicester to Rugby Anytime Day Return (£12) and then an Any Permitted Off Peak Day Return between Rugby and London (£26.15). Then travelcard as above.

If I took Option 2, would I be able to use the Off Peak Return on a Virgin Trains service departing Rugby at 09:23, arriving London Euston at 10:14?
Are there any corresponding restrictions in the opposite direction? I intend to use the 19:03 VT service to Rugby, and then an LM 20:04 to Nuneaton (arr 20:17) if there are any restrictions.

Many thanks in advance if anyone could help me out.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
If you took option 2 you would be fine to use the services you have mentioned between Rugby and London Euston, because you have a 16-25 railcard and you are completing your journey wholly on Virgin Trains between Rugby and London.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,450
Location
Yorkshire
You can find restriction code information on the National Rail website, but the method is convoluted. It is, however, easy to look up on the unofficial website brfares.com

(To make things a bit easier, for the destination type 0035, to get straight to the Travelcard fares)
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
You can find restriction code information on the National Rail website, but the method is convoluted. It is, however, easy to look up on the unofficial website brfares.com

(To make things a bit easier, for the destination type 0035, to get straight to the Travelcard fares)

yorkie, Thanks for directing me to this.

Having looked the restrictions up, I will probably purchase an LM Only ticket from Rugby to Euston, with Zones 1 - 6 Travelcard, for £21.10.

I gather with a Virgin Trains/Any Permitted off peak ticket, I cannot arrive London Euston from Rugby before 11:30. Could someone clarify this for me please?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,450
Location
Yorkshire
An Any Permitted Off Peak Return from Rugby [RUG] to London Terminals [0072], discounted with a 16-25 Railcard, is valid on any Virgin Trains service between Rugby and London.

I can't easily check now but this should be detailed in the restriction text on brfares.com, is it not?
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Yes it's Ok, and with a YP Railcard the restrictions do not appear to affect me.

Thank You for your help.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
If your sole intention is to keep costs down, I have a cheaper solution with flexible tickets along the MML. Tickets must be booked by the end of tomorrow so you have 24 hours. If interested, send me a PM and I will send you the instructions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top