• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester - Chester via Sheffield & Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Folks,

Simple question. Is a Leicester - Chester Anytime Return (SOR) valid via Manchester on fast trains between Sheffield and Manchester?

I'm planning the above journey in the morning peak for some day next week. Wouldn't mind a longer journey as long as it takes me into Manchester city centre circa 1030.

The Routeing Guide gives map PS as a valid route which appears to allow travel Leicester - Sheffield - Chinley - Guide Bridge or Bredbury - Manchester - Chester, unless some obscure easements restrict it. However this takes the slower route between Sheffield and Manchester.

Looking at the map, it would appear that Sheffield - (fast) - Manchester - Chester would not be allowed as this causes double-back between Manchester and Stockport. Does this mean that if I take the fast trains I'd have to buy a separate single Stockport - Manchester?

On second thoughts, it appears that going Manchester - Wilmslow - Crewe - Chester avoids Stockport. Does this mean that Leicester - Sheffield - (fast) - Stockport - Manchester - Wilmslow - Crewe - Chester is a valid journey on this ticket? If so then it would be valid for BOJ at Manchester.

This saves me approx £6 compared to a Leicester - Manchester Stns SOR ticket.

Any comments appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
When do you want to return, the same day or later?

Peter
 
Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
It would be valid for BoJ in Manchester though, as Leicester > Sheffield > Manchester > Warrington/Altrincham > Chester is permitted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
It would be valid for BoJ in Manchester though, as Leicester > Sheffield > Manchester > Warrington/Altrincham > Chester is permitted.
I agree that Leicester > Sheffield > Manchester > Altrincham > Chester is Permitted (map PS). I can't find a map combination which permits Leicester > Sheffield > Manchester > Warrington > Chester.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
A cheaper way is to used split tickets.

Assuming that you catch the 0757 from Leicester and arrive in Manchester at 1002 the following will work:

Off Peak Return (SVR) Leicester to Shireoaks or Worksop Route Sheffield £26-80
(Validity code BT - valid after 0430 out & return)
and then:
Off Peak Return (SAV) Sheffield to Manchester £17-50
(Code 2M - valid on arrivals in Manchester after 0930)

Total £44-30

They may be cheaper splits that I haven't found yet

I would assume that the Chester ticket is priced via Nuneaton & Birmingham.

Peter
 
Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
I seem to recall that tickets between Nottingham and Chester/North Wales are valid via Sheffield and Manchester, which may be helpful.

Also, there are some cheap day return tickets from Nottingham to North Wales resorts (such as Prestatyn) which may be cheaper than a SOR for a day trip, to Manchester.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Do you want to visit Manchester?

Yes, a day trip to Manchester next Wednesday.

Normally I split at Nottingham taking advantage of the CDR from there but it's only valid after 0900 so no good here.

Valid splits would be great but I must be in Manchester before 1030. Advances for outbound is fine but not return.

It seems the long way round via Manchester on a Chester ticket so I don't want any unnecessariness from the train manager or at the gateline in the morning as I would be in a rush.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A cheaper way is to used split tickets.

Assuming that you catch the 0757 from Leicester and arrive in Manchester at 1002 the following will work:

Off Peak Return (SVR) Leicester to Shireoaks or Worksop Route Leicester £26-80
(Validity code BT - valid after 0430 out & return)
and then:
Off Peak Return (SAV) Sheffield to Manchester £17-50
(Code 2M - valid on arrivals in Manchester after 0930)

Total £44-30

They may be cheaper splits that I haven't found yet

I would assume that the Chester ticket is priced via Nuneaton & Birmingham.

Peter

Nice one :lol:
 

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
I seem to recall that tickets between Nottingham and Chester/North Wales are valid via Sheffield and Manchester, which may be helpful.

Also, there are some cheap day return tickets from Nottingham to North Wales resorts (such as Prestatyn) which may be cheaper than a SOR for a day trip, to Manchester.

Leicester - Derby SDR at 10.60 plus Derby - Prestatyn CDR (Available 07.15 onwards) at 21.40, total 32.00 seems to be an improvement.

You'd have to 'claim' that your route, on map PS, is Sheffield - Stockport - Manchester - Crewe via Styal - Chester - Wales.

Michael.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
I don't see why it wouldn't be valid on the direct ATW service via Warrington Bank Quay :?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
I don't see why it wouldn't be valid on the direct ATW service via Warrington Bank Quay :?

As far as I can tell - only had a quick look - there is no mapped route with *both* Sheffield - Manchester *and* Warrington - Chester. I think the only permitted route via Warrington - Chester is Derby - Tamworth/Birmingham - Warrington - Chester.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I don't see why it wouldn't be valid on the direct ATW service via Warrington Bank Quay?
It's not valid by the rule
National Routeing Guide said:
Is the customer travelling on an advertised through train? -->

--> Yes -->

--> The route is a permitted route for that journey.
because the ATW service is not a through train between the origin (Leicester) and destination (Chester) on the ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top