• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds-Pudsey-Bradford Interchange suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2018
Messages
1,792
Location
The White Rose County
Since the Clithero proposal is merely reinstating the second track, a few more stations and a chord at Hellifield.

I would suggest reinstating the Pudsey Loop lines to Bramley, so that you could separate the fasts from the slows. Bramley has a sizeable population and has about 1tph under normal circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong!

It is about twice as far away from Leeds City Centre as Burley Park, that has a half-hourly service. As part of this I would also build a new station at Armley and another one in between it and Bramley.

Potentially maybe even to reinstate a chord from Tyersal to Pudsey, through the Tunnel then into a new station in the cutting!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,662
Bramley is 3tph. I think you are confusing the service pattern with Cottingley, Kirkstall Forge and Low Moor, although the latter 2 have received service increases

It also has 15 buses per hour into Leeds from the station area and 8 towards Bradford

Central Bramley has 12 bph

I can’t see the MP willing to risk his political career putting so many homes, businesses and the development of Tyersal valley at risk. I’m already very interested to see the reaction when the first High Speed NPR route comes out because pretty well every new route permutation that serves Bradford will need to pass through the constituency.
 
Last edited:

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2018
Messages
1,792
Location
The White Rose County
I'll be surprised if Bramley has 3 tph pre Coronavirus! I used to use the line a lot and when I did barely anything stopped at Bramley. I know recently it has had all services stopping although since the latest change that has been cut back.

It wouldnt be putting any homes or buisness at risk, if an extension to Pudsey was added as suggested, it would have to be single line to get past the industrial units opposite Tyersal Hill.

Just for clarity I am talking about a single branch to Pudsey from the Bradford end not the Leeds end, sadly no connection to the Bradford would be possible due to the houses.

Main benefits would be to enable a station at Armley. As for busses Headingley is the roughly the same (if m not more) and that is closer to the city centre.
 

Glenn1969

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2019
Messages
1,983
Location
Halifax, Yorks
I live in Halifax and Bramley had 3 tph off peak with only the Blackpool train not stopping pre Coronavirus
 

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,662
I'll be surprised if Bramley has 3 tph pre Coronavirus! I used to use the line a lot and when I did barely anything stopped at Bramley. I know recently it has had all services stopping although since the latest change that has been cut back.

It wouldnt be putting any homes or buisness at risk, if an extension to Pudsey was added as suggested, it would have to be single line to get past the industrial units opposite Tyersal Hill.

Just for clarity I am talking about a single branch to Pudsey from the Bradford end not the Leeds end, sadly no connection to the Bradford would be possible due to the houses.

Main benefits would be to enable a station at Armley. As for busses Headingley is the roughly the same (if m not more) and that is closer to the city centre.

As stated by @Glenn1969 Bramley has 3 trains per hour in pre-Covid timetable

Unfortunately, the cutting you propose to use for a station has been virtually filled ahead of development for housing. Local campaigners are trying to get the tunnel and some form of access to it saved for a walking and cycling route.
 

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2018
Messages
1,792
Location
The White Rose County
Wells that's-certainly more services at Bramley than what I remember.

Regarding the cutting I know that some spoil was tipped down it prior to planning for houses that was later refused. Although since then another application might have gone in but I doubt it.
 

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2018
Messages
1,792
Location
The White Rose County
I do actually remeber now seeing a poster about increase in the number of services at Bramley, still very much surprised its 3 thou.
 

yoyothehobo

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2015
Messages
853
As a regular user of Bramley it definitely has more than 1 tph! In the morning it has 3 and over, not that you could ever actually fit on one till the new trains came along.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
The May-December 2016 timetable has three services each hour from Leeds; two to Victoria, one to Huddersfield. Assuming the first two still run, the Huddersfield train would now be the Hull-Halifax service.
 

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
Wells that's-certainly more services at Bramley than what I remember.

Regarding the cutting I know that some spoil was tipped down it prior to planning for houses that was later refused. Although since then another application might have gone in but I doubt it.
Bramley has had 3tph in the 20 years I’ve worked on the railway and probably for years before that. Only the Blackpool’s have not stopped with the exception a couple of years back of the Huddersfield’s not stopping and the Blackpool’s stopping in their place towards Leeds only (business as usual towards Bradford).
 

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2018
Messages
1,792
Location
The White Rose County
Thinking about it I did used to use the Blackpools a lot. Up to now I certainly never thought Bramley had more than 2 services an hour. Anyway what do people think about a station at Armley, on seperate lines or loops to mitigate impact on existing services.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Since the Clithero proposal is merely reinstating the second track...and a chord at Hellifield.
Just FYI the second track is already there and the chord at Hellifield is speculation. Some minor signalling alterations only.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,593
As others have said Bramley has had 3 trains per hour for decades with traditionally only the Blackpool’s not stopping
 

Class195

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2019
Messages
298
Location
Bradford
Why not just do Leeds to Bradford direct?

There's a youtube video of a 150 doing it in under 15 minutes.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
Aside from any pathing issues, possibly because New Pudsey is a parkway/park & ride station (one of the first, if not the first of the post-Beeching breed). A regular (ish) well-spaced four trains per hour service make it worthwhile parking and riding, whereas reducing it to three but not every 20 minutes (like the frequency at Bramley) doesn't.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top