I can imagine the RHTT will have its work cut out overnight to attempt to clear the lines.I'm on an SWR train heading towards Fleet from Basingstoke. The air is absolutely full of flying leaves. Frost expected tonight so I imagine there'll be a lot more dropping onto the tracks in the next 24 hours.
Still, not long until the new timetable and then the problem of leaves will go away.I can imagine the RHTT will have its work cut out overnight to attempt to clear the lines.
Thankfully all leaves are eradicated by the 10th of December this year.Still, not long until the new timetable and then the problem of leaves will go away.
Thankfully all leaves are eradicated by the 10th of December this year.
Leaves flying about in Autumn? Who would have thought it?
Will that mean they need to change the timetables on those lines?Some routes are planning to extend the RHTT trains as required due to the abnormally late Autumn (although this might become the norm in years to come).
If they're flying around and its relatively dry thats not so bad.
Tell me about it! Big coat for the game today!Autumn ? Feels like winter now !
Tell me about it! Big coat for the game today!
Yes, the cause of delays will shift from leaves on the line to iced up points.Autumn ? Feels like winter now !
That's an interesting one, as up in the north east its felt like the leaves have come off quicker and earlier than, say, last year. Although the storms we've had may have helped somewhat with that.Some routes are planning to extend the RHTT trains as required due to the abnormally late Autumn (although this might become the norm in years to come).
If they're flying around and its relatively dry thats not so bad.
Leaf-fall arrangements on the Metropolitan Line have been planned to run until 7th January from the get go, for example.Some routes are planning to extend the RHTT trains as required due to the abnormally late Autumn (although this might become the norm in years to come).
Yes, the cause of delays will shift from leaves on the line to iced up points.
Do they have a different timetable for the leaflet period?Leaf-fall arrangements on the Metropolitan Line have been planned to run until 7th January from the get go, for example.
Normally they finish a week after the December timetable change.
As I understand it, the winter timetable doesn't include paths for railhead treatment trains.Do they have a different timetable for the leaflet period?
So they will have to amend it then.As I understand it, the winter timetable doesn't include paths for railhead treatment trains.
For areas where there's still a lot of leaves and no paths, probably yes.So they will have to amend it then.
Yep. Trains depart Amersham and Chesham Southbound 3.5 minutes earlier than normal.Do they have a different timetable for the leaflet period?
Silly question - do leaves in the Chilterns avoid the down line, then?Yep. Trains depart Amersham and Chesham Southbound 3.5 minutes earlier than normal.
This is due to a 40mph speed restriction being in place between Mantles Wood (NR boundary) and Watford South Junction in the Southbound direction.
Extended signalling overlaps also apply between Chalfont & Latimer and Rickmansworth Southbound, as this is the worst-affected section.
I believe the key difference is that it's downhill from Amersham/Chesham towards Rickmansworth, but uphill going the other way, so LU essentially rely on gravity to assist with braking when heading North. That said, I don't work for LU and I'm not a Driver, but it seems like a logical explanation. (YMMV of course.)Silly question - do leaves in the Chilterns avoid the down line, then?
Yes, autumn leaf fall has become much later in recent years, but the RHTTs still start running in September, pointlessly!Some routes are planning to extend the RHTT trains as required due to the abnormally late Autumn (although this might become the norm in years to come).
If they're flying around and its relatively dry thats not so bad.
It's nearly Winter, Meteorological Winter always starts on December 1st, Astronomical Winter varies by a day or two and this year it begins on Friday December 22nd.Autumn ? Feels like winter now !
At least 3 ESR's appeared yesterday in various places along The Hope Valley.We seem to be running extremely slow over the Hope Valley. This is my train.
I assume it’s down to several ESR’s and poor rail conditions?
Leaf-fall arrangements on the Metropolitan Line have been planned to run until 7th January from the get go, for example.
Normally they finish a week after the December timetable change.
I believe the key difference is that it's downhill from Amersham/Chesham towards Rickmansworth, but uphill going the other way, so LU essentially rely on gravity to assist with braking when heading North. That said, I don't work for LU and I'm not a Driver, but it seems like a logical explanation. (YMMV of course.)