• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least appropriate use of Pacers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Indeed, it is a fact that trains "with doors closer to the middle of the coaches" are used on middle-distance services, including some (eg. the Cardiff-Nottingham service I mentioned, which of course is worked by 170s) which I refer to as 'regional express'. Yes, I do not like this and yes it is my opinion, but I'm not the only one with that opinion.

It is also true that passengers can cope with it, but just because something:
(a.) is possible,
(b.) does happen and
(c.) can be coped with
doesn't make said something a good thing.

Outer-suburban is a term I'm pretty sure I've seen used to describe class 350s/450s, SWT's blue livery and services worked by their 450s and 458s. If the ATW Cardiff-Cheltenham stoppers are not 'outer-suburban' (which is what I have been calling them) then what would you call them? That type of service (as, I suspect, is the LM Euston-Birmingham service) is something quite different from what I would call 'regional express'.

Yeah, we are fairly rural in this part of south Wales. That occasion was some years ago and I can't think of an occasion he's used the train since. And I think his last use of a train prior to that was probably some years earlier still, so I doubt it is a case of being 'used' to end-doors.

I can agree with you there, would be nice to see the Harrogate line electrified but unlikely to be possible in CP5 due to the volume of other work.

You seem to have a ridiculous obsession with door arrangements, the door arrangement of 170/185 is perhaps not the most ideal for journeys beyond 2 hours but overall I don't find it that much of a big deal. and compromises need to made in terms of rolling stock available, the desire of TOC's not to have too many types of rolling stock, and the passenger flows on each route.

The Main TPX route well ok end door trains might be better on the fast Liverpool Newcastle service, but overall much of the route has heavy short distance commuter other flows which are far more suited to the 185 door arrangement. On the other hand the Leeds-Sheffield-Nottingham service and the Calder Valley Services would be far more suited to a 170/185 type train instead of a 158 but northern don't have such a train.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top