• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Late running East Coast/EMT Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2009
Messages
1,119
Location
15E
I know similar questions to this have been asked before so no stick please :)

If I am returning on the Highland Chieftain to Kings Cross (1555) and have an Advance ticket with EMT at say 1625 from St Pancras, if the Chieftain is late and I miss my northbound EMT, can I get my ECML ticket signed which will allow me to travel on a later EMT?

Or do I have to purchase a Full price open ticket with EMT?

I have already booked Kings Cross-Inverness return, now I need to see what ticket to book from St Pancras to leicester, if the penalty is too great I will just book an 'anytime' ticket.
TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I know similar questions to this have been asked before so no stick please :)

If I am returning on the Highland Chieftain to Kings Cross (1555) and have an Advance ticket with EMT at say 1625 from St Pancras, if the Chieftain is late and I miss my northbound EMT, can I get my ECML ticket signed which will allow me to travel on a later EMT?

Or do I have to purchase a Full price open ticket with EMT?

I have already booked Kings Cross-Inverness return, now I need to see what ticket to book from St Pancras to leicester, if the penalty is too great I will just book an 'anytime' ticket.
TIA


Inverness 07:55GR
London Kings Cross15:51

Train terminates at London Kings Cross

Walk from London Kings Cross to London St Pancras

London St Pancras 16:25EM
Leicester17:35
Train continues to Sheffield

its coming up if you select timetables only on east coast, so i would say yes.
 

Dewedin

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2009
Messages
675
I think you would struggle to justify Inverness to Leicester via London as a single journey.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
I've done Glasgow - London - Nottingham and the VT guard explained on the back of our ticket and we showed it to EMT at St Pancras and they said its fine
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I think you would struggle to justify Inverness to Leicester via London as a single journey.

I would disagree the part of national rail, where it says 1 or more tickets are required for this journey, as long as the op follows minimum connection times and has tickets with seat reservations, and a print out of the journey undertaken. I don't think anyone can argue.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
To cut a very long arguement short, if the guard on the EMT service is happy for you to travel then you are fine.

If you want a definitive answer one way or the other this thread will be long, depressing, tedious, and not solving anything.

The jist of it would be Yorkie and some others saying yes you are fine, you were delayed whilst travelling, condition 19, etc, go for it, and myself and others saying no, you missed the first booked train, ticket not valid, etc.

That's about as good as it gets on this issue.
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
I would disagree the part of national rail, where it says 1 or more tickets are required for this journey, as long as the op follows minimum connection times and has tickets with seat reservations, and a print out of the journey undertaken. I don't think anyone can argue.

I agree, I believe as long as the OP has allowed the minimum connection times then they should be carried on the next available service should they be delayed on the Inverness-Kings X train.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Oh dear, oh dear!
hairyhandedfool is absolutely correct: this thread could go on and on and on, (and it might be better if the thread had stopped with his summary).
I agree, I believe as long as the OP has allowed the minimum connection times then they should be carried on the next available service should they be delayed on the Inverness-Kings X train.
Really? The OP admitted that they already held one ticket from EC (INV-KGX), and was asking for assistance in choosing their second ticket with EMT.
They won't have a personalised itinery referring to their tickets in that situation.
The TOCs are 2 separate entities and therefore the OP has engaged with 2 contracts.
The 2 tickets are not being purchased as a single transaction.

These 3 reasons alone should be enough to confirm HHF's analysis, because with the actual Conditions of Carriage and other documents, (notwithstanding the failings in their definitions and their application) being as they are, then this question remains unanswerable with the adequate confidence to assure the OP - (whether we like it or not).

For what its worth, I am inclined towards your interpretation, 32323223323, and would make the same journey myself with Advances, and have done so very often. But I do so in hope (and some personal ability to deal with Companies by negotiation in potentially confrontational situations). I do not travel with Advances in that way with any 'knowledge' that they will be honoured on later services by another TOC.

Neverthless, your opinions and expectations are interesting.
 
Last edited:

38Cto15E

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2009
Messages
1,119
Location
15E
Thanks for the tips guys, sorry I opened up an old can of worms, we'll seal it up now, but any PMs welcome:D

What I may do is book a leicester-London Advance single for my outbound and an Anytime single for the the return, at that time of the day savings are not great with Advance tickets anyway.

This situation has partly come about because the long distance ECML HSTs do not stop at Peterborough under the new timetable.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
Thanks for the tips guys, sorry I opened up an old can of worms, we'll seal it up now, but any PMs welcome:D

What I may do is book a leicester-London Advance single for my outbound and an Anytime single for the the return, at that time of the day savings are not great with Advance tickets anyway.

This situation has partly come about because the long distance ECML HSTs do not stop at Peterborough under the new timetable.

Maybe leicster to lincoln, getting off at newark castle, then walking to northgate?

Probably faster than going all the way to london, then back up north
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
What I may do is book a leicester-London Advance single for my outbound and an Anytime single for the the return, at that time of the day savings are not great with Advance tickets anyway.

What is your exact trip? Do you just need a single St Pancras - Leicester? To travel around 1625? Or any returns? Railcards?
 

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
It would be if you got off at York then got the 1426 to Newark Northgate (1513) then got the 1558 Newark Castle to Leicester which gets into Leicester at 1722. Although obviously not possible if the Inverness - London Kings Cross ticket is booked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top